Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Coming to town Options
Xman
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 12:00:00 AM

I didn't find a general section, so I hope this is the right section. If not, sorry.

Anyway, I am an avid West Coast Disc Golfer who just accepted a position in Louisville. I know it is not exactly right there, but I have family in Cincy, so I am coming up to visit. I will most likely have 1-2 days in town to play, so I am more than willing to try all sorts of courses out. I have a couple of old friends there who want to learn how to play, and I was wondering what courses looked good for a beginner. But obviously, I don't just want to play an easy course, so I am also looking for a decently fun course (maybe one not to tough so I can bring my beginner friends along). What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 4:55:25 AM

Is there a certain part of town you will be in?

Fun but not too challenging are Banklick, Gulley, AJ Jolly, Oxford, Harbin
More Challenging are Idlewild(par 72 Woods Mainly), Mt. Airy(long), Monroe(short but heavily wooded), Turtlecreek(Half easy half hard)
bobherb
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 8:22:27 AM

If you are near the northern part of I-275, Harbin (1.5 hour round) is a fun, decent challenge that will not eat your lunch - mostly open holes.
Near the middle of town is our "classic" Mt. Airy (2-2.5 hours) - quite a bit more challenging with greater chance for lost discs.
Banklick is in Ky. - much variety, lots of woods, 24 holes and about as challenging as Harbin with more potential to loose a disc.
If you want a drastically challenging course try Idlewild (3-4 hour round) - lots of distance, woods, hills, water, etc. Bring 2 lunches because the course will eat one of them sometime during your round.

Check the main page for directions and other info. There are about 30 courses to choose from now.
Have fun and let us know how it goes...
Xman
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:36:07 AM

Thank you guys for the info. My folks live in Mason, so that is where I will be staying.

To put in perspective, some of the courses I play on are usually pretty heavily wooded, so hardly ever a clear shot. Let alone the Arizona Snowbowl course, which is about 9,000 feet in elevation, and travereses about 600 vertical feet and hole 9 is about 900 feet. I look for the super-challanging super-fun courses, but with newer players, I think easier courses will help.

But I am not to worried about Lost discs. It happens. Thank you for the information, I will definatly have to try some of those courses. Can't wait to play.

Also, are there pretty decent tournaments in town? Cincy is not that bad of a Drive, so if there are interesting tournies I just might have to show up & play.
Craig
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:30:19 AM

This morning (Sat.) there is a local club tourney at burnett woods. 18 holes, 9 of them are temp. You would have to be there by 9 or so to sign up thought. Hope you get this in time.
Xman
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 12:34:17 PM

I am stil across the country. It will prolly be Weds or Thurs before I show up in town.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:53:38 PM

Sat @ Columbus 1 day c-tier Hoover West side Challenge
Sun @Cincinnati 1 day c tier Gulley open North east cincinnati