Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

TRex Vs Wraith Options
Flank
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 1:39:04 PM

Anybody thrown both of these discs? Particularly in the Star Plastic. I'm just looking for a comparison of these discs for those of you that have thrown both, or even if you just use one of them on regular basis, and what you think about them.

Flank
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:21:23 AM

Quote:
Originally written by Craig on 8/15/2006 7:55 AM

Both the Trex and the wraith are very long drivers. I have them both in my bag. The wraith is the longer of the two though. If you turn the wraith over theres not much chance on it coming back (for me). The trex on the other hand you might mistakenly not turn it at all and will hyzer out on ya. Both good disc but I've been leaning towards the Trex more as it's stability makes it a little more predictable (for me). Now if you don't throw quite as hard the wraith would be perfect and the trex would be just to much for ya.

My buddy has had both and now uses the Tee Rex as he lost his Wraith a while back. He had a Star Wraith that he tended to flip over, but he throws a little harder than me, and i think he sometimes has an incorrect angle and release point that causes alot of his discs to flip over. He then had a DX Wraith that he flipped over ALOT. Again, i think it was his own throwing mechanics. His Tee Rex he uses now was very overstable out of the box, and after about of week of heavy use, it became more and more understable and he actually gets it to turn over a bit, sometimes too much.

I'm not a big thrower, more of a medium thrower, so I was thinkin of trying out the Wraith
mikesech
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 9:20:34 AM

i would choose trex over wraith because i think trexes have more control and distance but again thats my opinion
Discgolfkid
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:29:06 PM

Which disc would be the best choice for a moderately windy, 300' drive, when, in the same situation, I'm turning over a z wildcat/champ orc?
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:28:19 PM

Teerex for sure!
Discgolfkid
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:39:49 AM

Star? Pro? Champ? DX? I'd also like to mention that a STAR starfire is a bit too much for that shot, so is the teerex not as strong (mostly flat for the first 100' at least?)
andersab
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:40:59 AM

yeah, or you could go with a tee bird!
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:45:33 AM

How far are you throwing it Jonathon? Are you talking about sidearm or backhand? If it's a 300 foot drive, it's not a drive. It' s midrange. Wasp or Buzz.

If you need to throw a driver to hit 300, surely you don't need a high speed one. Throw a Teebird, or a TL.

On a side note, a little opinion here. When I started, I had one disc, 175 Champ Orc. Good disc - although I don't carry them anymore, it was useful for throwing long and straight. I could make it go left, and a little right (with forehand). Once I started playing competitively, and learning from more experienced players, they all asked me what discs I was throwing, and what have I tried. When I started flipping Orcs over (with power, or just into a breeze) I searched for a disc that would travel far, but still not flip and be dependable. The answer: Champ Teebird. The aren't that much slower, but they are absolutely dependable, takes the same line everytime seemingly regardless of wind. It seems to be the most wind resistant driver that I've ever thrown.

I wish I would have listened to those other player's advice sooner. Teebirds and Firebirds have lowered my scores and improved my game significantly. Maybe one day I'll try the Rocs and Aviars that I'm always hearing about too.

PS - Star TeeRex are junk. 3 hits on the ground and it's a different disc. I think the DX are more stable... but I'll continue throwing my Pink Pro Wraiths for any long d shot - left, right, or straight.

Discgolfkid
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:59:30 AM

I do have a DX teebird, got it because I loved how the eagle flew but I would turn it over. It does fly very straight; I guess I just need to think out of the box and realize that I can use a teebird off the tee even if it is a "fairway" driver. As far as firebirds, I have a light star one and man is that disc versatile. I was also extremely lucky to have advice from people on the messageboards about using such an overstable disc.

When I said 300', i meant it as that's about how far everything else is going to go right now, not that it was a 300' hole, if you took it that way. I'm just curious about max distance (I've thrown my buddy's star wraith before and I definately liked it.) I think I'll stick with my teebird, and if I win any cash for discs it'll go towards a champ teebird or at least trying a pro wraith.
Thanks for all the help guys.
13ruce-137
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:02:40 AM

Fyi star tee-rex .. which are different from TeeRex is my goto wind disk . i pulled it out of a lake in chicago so i know they can take a beating.. also it holds a line with less chance of turnover then my star wraiths .. not pink wraiths mind you .. but still great discs. Not to rain on your pro vs star parade Kool but i am pretty sure the star wraiths will last alot longer. <br />