Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Cincinnati Parks Planning Options
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:36:14 PM

The Cincinnati Parks Department is having 3 community meetings to discuss their new master plan efforts. There is one West, Central, and East, to ease residents' travel. This would be a great place for a few interested disc golfers to drop the idea of additional disc golf courses in the area. The way these community meetings work is they ask for peoples' input as to what facilities people want to see included in the parks in the future. If disc golf is brought up, it gets put in ink, and really gets counted - the meeting facilitators have no choice but to record it and report it.

Here is the link to the meetings - all are 6-8 p.m.
http://cincinnati-oh.gov/cityparks/pages/-13372-/

Cincinnati Parks that could support a disc golf course include: French Park (Amberly Village), Armleder Park (across from Lunken Airport), Drake Park (off Red Bank Rd.), Fernbank Park (along River Road). Please request the additional 9 holes at Burnet Woods, too! I've walked the Planning Director through them and he was positive about them - they need to hear if from other people! Other issues: increased maintenance at Mt. Airy.

AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:45:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up Petey. Anyone wanting to go pls post. I will be there for the west side.
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 10:23:31 PM

I think that I'll try to make it to the East meeting with Missy.

frizgolf
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 3:54:43 PM

Just got an e-mail from the park board about the meetings.
I'm planning on going tomorrow night. I have a feeling tomorrow will be a good day. Got a phone call today, and I'll have more info Tuesday.
frizgolf
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 3:31:24 PM

Hmmm. No reply today. Guess I'll have news tomorrow.
Anyone else going to the Mt. Airy meeting tonight?
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:33:33 AM

Russ, AdamJ, and I went to the Maple Ridge Lodge meeting last night and put in the good word for more disc golf courses in City Parks.
They had one sheet of paper designated "STRENGTHS" (they had some others i. e. Weaknesses etc.) At the top of the sheet they wrote "Disc Golf Awesome".
Other people at the meeting also praised Disc Golf at both Mt. Airy and Burnet Woods for bringing more eyes into the Park to deter illegal activity and make the Park seem safer. I have an e-mail address for one of the City Park guys. I plan to send him a note after I communicate with AdamJ. I want to specifically push for a home course at French Park.
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:08:56 AM

....and another 9 at Burnett
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:00:56 PM

AdamJ had a list of requests he was going to share with one of the Park guys, after the meeting, and it included, among "other" things, 9 additional holes at Burnett Woods. I mentioned that we needed garbage cans near the tees at Mt. Airy.
Adam please post when you can.
The next meeting is tonight at 6:00.
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:03:41 PM

Thursday is the last of the 3 meetings. East End School - the new hideous monstrosity on Kellogg at Stanley.

Please - if you haven't already attended the 1st 2, please donate 2 hours of your time to help out disc golf in the area. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get folks out and things on paper at these master plan meetings. 10 years from now - no one will remember that the GCFDA fixed the courses, and did great things - but the Parks Dept will still be referring to and spending money on the things that come out of these 3 meetings. This is the best place to Squeak - so we can get some Oil.

Remind them how much nicer and safer Burnet Woods is since the course went in there - ask them for the remaining 9 that they were once interested in. BEG THEM FOR CONCRETE TEE PADS!!! Tell them you love playing there but if it has rained in a few days, it is unplayable in the muddy tee areas and dangerous. Tell them you fell down a couple times, etc. Tell them the tee pads will stop the erosion. Tell them people play even in the rain so it is getting worse. Tell them how nice the first tee is that they built as a pilot project and ask when they will improve the other ones. Ask when they will replace the vandalized tee signs/posts? Tell them some of the baskets need to be reset - they are loose and at risk of being stolen. Did I say TEE PADS?

French Park has not been an idea they are fond of - too many old ladies who walk their dogs there who would die if they saw disc golfers actually using the beautiful land that they mow for little reason. It could easily host the best course in the area - there's potential there - I've sketched out an 18 holer there that would put Mt. Airy to shame. Don't hold your breath on any action there. We used to run cross country races there and that even offended the old ladies of Amberley.

Drake Park - that was a possibility a few years ago, but they are adamant against a course there, now. They don't want anyone on the hill side because 1. They don't want to mow it. 2. They don't want a return of the awesome sled riding hill. 3. They don't want people with big arms and little brains launching discs onto I-71.

Armleder Park - this is a definite possibility. The land is there, the park is new, but they've promised the area to the environmental folks as undisturbed natural woodland. (This is right next to Beechmont AVenue, mind you). I'm still working on them.

I think the best thing that can come of this is that they will realize the numbers of disc golfers out there, and also realize that they are organized and willing to come to meetings and voice their opinions. Plus, they might be willing to maintain the courses better: garbage cans, grass cutting, benches, etc.

Just my ideas to prompt some of you to bring this stuff up, so it isn't just me begging for these things all the time. I won't be able to attend - I've got to take the kids to the roller rink for their school skating party - since Karen is out with the neighborhood lushes at ladies night.
BIGBOY
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:12:22 PM

If work permits I will be there on Thursday.

Kuhns
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 9:28:53 PM

Sorry Bob, I've been very busy and haven't had time to send that email yet. Feel free to do so at your leisure. If possible let me know after this weekend what ya mentioned and I will follow up with more later. Have to pack for BG and get to bed here. Ciyas later
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:08:36 AM

I wrote this note to the Cincinnati Park Guys recently.
Their e-mail addresses are:

steven.schuckman@cincinnati-oh.gov
cmanning@humannature.cc
jparrettlsm@fuse.net

Hello Cincinnati Park Folks,

My name is Bob Herbert. I attended the Public Meeting at Maple Ridge Lodge on Tuesday, March 28, 2006. My compliments to the speakers, for the content and delivery of their presentations. It was necessary for me to depart, however, before the open dialogue would have allowed me to express my desire for a new Frisbee/Disc Golf course in French Park.
I am a 9 year resident of Amberley Village (lifetime resident of Hamilton County) and believe a Disc Golf course in French Park would increase usage of the park in a great way. Since we (the Greater Cincinnati Flying Disc Association) helped the Park folks install the course in Mt. Airy in 1993 (I purchased a basket and my name is on the tee of hole # 4) usage of the course seems to grow every year. The course at Mt. Airy, with its rolling hills, large trees, etc. is recognized nationally as one of the best courses in the U.S. (check it out on pdga.com). The course has, however, been getting so much use in the past couple years, it is nearly to the point of discomfort to play there. A new 18 hole course in French Park would likely divert some of Mt. Airy's crowd and provide players more variety, challenge, and enjoyment.
Many parts of French Park, which currently are underused, would be prime ground for a Disc Golf Course. I would be willing (as well as my fellow club members) to help plan, design, labor, etc., to make this new course a reality. After this proposed course is installed, I would also volunteer to be the "course pro", donating my time to work on the course and communicate with Park folks to help maintain a clean, high quality, low maintenance course.
I have been playing Disc Golf almost 20 years, have won the City Championship 6 times, the State Championship in 1994, and have experience designing courses. I am a Husband and Father of three young children. I am also GIS manager for the Hamilton County Engineers department and have access to topo maps, aerial photos, etc. which would be useful to plan the course. Consideration for safety (buffers between holes and other adjacent Park activities) would be a priority in any of our design input.
Please consider this suggestion for a new Disc Golf course in French Park and let me know any way I/we can help.

Sincerely,

Robert Herbert

French Park is close to my residence and I would enjoy having a course there.
I, like Pete, encourage everyone to write their own notes to the aforementioned folks to let them know what we want. The loudest and most persistant bird gets the worm!!!
"What do you have in your (Disc Golf mind???)"
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:20:11 PM

Received this prompt answer from Mr. Schuckman:

"Thank you for your suggestion and your offer of help. I will let you know if we want to pursue creating another course at French Park".
frizgolf
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 4:57:39 PM

Got this in an e-mail from Cincinnati Parks today:
http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityparks/downloads/cityparks_eps16554.htm
Nice little blurb about disc golf in Cincy Parks.