Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

What is the GCFDA message board to you? Options
frizgolf
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:24:44 AM

I posted this in the Flying Pig thread, and have come to realize it may have been an innapropriate forum for my sentiments. I ran the risk of pointing fingers at Pig promotion and TD'ing, which was not my intention. The GCFDA's annnual tournament needs all the support it can get, and I feel I may have derailed the positive direction that thread needs to have. Pete does an excellent job running the show every year, and in the past I've fallen victim to the "me first" attitude that every division wants in that tournament. The Open division should rightly be the focus of the Pig, and if we are to grow back to an A tier tournament, we need to attract top players. IMO, if the Pig were even to become Open-only in some far-off future, I'd still wholly support it.

That being said, I bring a new thread to you, the posting members of this message board.

What is this message board to you?
Do you check it to see who's playing where?
Do you read up on local event results?
Looking for playing advice?
Complimenting, or griping about local course and tournament/league/CC conditions/situations?
Suggesting changes?

What have I missed?

I've copied and pasted my post from the Pig forum below. I may yet go back and delete it there.
Verbatim:

The music message board I have 5500+ posts on may have spoiled me, but it is used quite a bit, and is very well self-policed. The mods have to step in occasionally, but it is quite the progressive board.
I know we want to put off the most positive image possible, especially to new players and sponsors alike, but after all, this is a discussion board. This is all that's going on here: discussion. Unfortunately, unlike verbal discussion, response on a message board is recorded for all to read. I've read that when responding in print, it is wise to be three times as polite as you normally would in conversation. Since facial expressions and voice inflection is not apparent, the general inexperience of the general population in expressing the written word can come across wrong when read, especially over and over.
I was surprised, upon meeting folks from my other board, how friendly they seemed after feeling like they could be contentious on the message board.
Likewise, our meetings cover the subjects here, and will often allay any misgivings one may have had about the persona in front of the keyboard.
Sometimes, after wailing away at anything and everything under the sun on the other board, I come here and feel like it seems to be a constant circle jerk. Up, up with disc golf! Great job! Pats on the back. It seems there is no place for dissent. Criticism seems not to be construed as constructive.
Please be assured I wish not this board become a place to cry. We saw what happened with the keyboard tough guys when anonymous posting was still available. I wouldn't want that degeneration. I'm just saying that the message board discussion requires a thicker skin when reading most responses. The 3x politeness rule should be in effect when typing. Count to ten. Preview for grammar, spelling, and possible terms which could have double meaning. If you're not sure, save it as a draft, then come back later to repost or edit. Perhaps your mood will change, or you'll simply edit the bejeezers out of it.
If it's ultimately still not fit for the submit button, bring it up at a meeting. We can read your face and voice.
I'm all for dissent and criticism, as long as it's tasteful and polite. Heck, I demand it. But I may be in the minority. When posts and threads get deleted or edited, it comes across as somewhat cliqueish, unless the post is full of mindless rants, insults, and vulgarity. I think we would do potential new players and sponsors a favor by keeping opinions above board, warts and all. We're growing, we're still a young organization by organized sports standards, and we need every voice to be heard, as long as it's civil.
I'm not directing this at any particular post or sentiment of late; it's something I've wanted to talk about here for quite a while. The comments and issues brought up this last week have merely induced me to write.
I agree that the Pig is our crown jewel, and Pete is a friggin saint for taking on the workload. I agree that we need more pros at our CCs, and I think the PDGA analogy is apt.
I don't know. Is a thicker skin needed to bring about changes, however small? By limiting discussion to positive talking points, do we tune out potential ideas hiding in the rants? It's just a discussion board.
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:49:32 AM

An oldie, but a goodie.

http://truecenterpoint.com/ce/essentials2.html

Some people might want to read this, and apply it to their posting appropriately. Sometimes, you may run into that person you were talking at on the message board, and they might be looking for results-based satisfaction.

frizgolf
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 4:32:24 PM

I'm almost at 9K posts on my music message board.
As opposed to this board, I knew no one there when I started posting. I've begun meeting them, and we hang out regularly. It's both the most civil and most outrageous board I have visited.
Once I met them face-to-face, I could imagine their reactions when posting. It's been a change for the better.
berto
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 10:33:17 PM

I really think the message board should be treated in some cases as the social activity it is. I also think that it is the voice of the club. I think there should be threads that are treated like meetings. Like mini meetings between meetings. Not all club biz happens at the time of a meeting. Shouldn't there be a place on the board where biz is done and decisions are made on a weekly basis? I know that not everyone can make each meeting, shouldn't their voices be heard. Heard by the people who call the shots? I think we need the weekly, if not daily interactions of the leadership, to reach out , and respond to our members. So if there is something important to be done, the club can make a decision more than once every so often. ........
P.S. - I am not trying to denegrade anyone with these statements. I am just trying to be a voice of improvement and at the least new ideas...
Craig
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:02:29 AM

Good Idea Rob, cause some people don't go to meeting because of the back and forth fighting. Leaving with the feeling nothing got accomplished and never going to another one.
Kool Keith
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:31:06 AM

Quote:
berto - 3/13/2007 12:33 AM

I really think the message board should be treated in some cases as the social activity it is. I also think that it is the voice of the club. I think there should be threads that are treated like meetings. Like mini meetings between meetings. Not all club biz happens at the time of a meeting. Shouldn't there be a place on the board where biz is done and decisions are made on a weekly basis? I know that not everyone can make each meeting, shouldn't their voices be heard. Heard by the people who call the shots? I think we need the weekly, if not daily interactions of the leadership, to reach out , and respond to our members. So if there is something important to be done, the club can make a decision more than once every so often. ........
P.S. - I am not trying to denegrade anyone with these statements. I am just trying to be a voice of improvement and at the least new ideas...

I agree, but you're not going to like the results.

Dodging members concerns' is one of the few things that the club does well.

Craig
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:57:50 AM

I think it's a great Idea so certain few don't dominate meetings. More topics could be brought up. More input from a broader group of people.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:53:29 AM

Craig, there's more fighting on here than there is at meetings. You just happened to come to a bad meeting. Don't let a few people discourage you.

M_Boland
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:38:16 AM

My only complaint...and constant complaint would be..."show me the money". I see fees in every category thrown around like there is no tomorrow...but from my own eyes, every course I have played in the past several years looks the same. Yes, there is volunteer help, yes, parks deliver mulch and gravel, and help maintain the courses....but this has nothing to do with the "club money" distribution. The only thing I have seen from the "club money" are the news letters we get from time to time. So, I don't know where this "money" is going, but If I had a say, I would make sure every penny goes back into the courses, and not into some greedy pockets. If anyone sat down and added up the money that was brought in from various events strictly for the club use, and looked at where the club money is being funded, numbers don't add up right....numbers don't lie.

***I'm not bashing anyone of trying to bring down what the club has built up, I just feel that something isn't right here***
Kool Keith
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:55:44 AM

Some money is added cash at tourneys, some is donated to different events, some is given for course materials (Idlewild probably received close to $300 last year, that is not even a drop in the bucket compared to what is privately spent), some pays for food and drinks at the Dec meeting, and the club has a big balance left over that they operate with. This is what they use to prepay for their plastic they give out at CCS, club stamp (Pig) discs, and the like.

Last I heard we were approaching almost 7k in the clubs accounts. I don't have the exact figures, and it's always subject to change, but there is quite an bit of free cash there that we could use for course improvement projects like basket matching, tee signs, and the like.

Oh yeah, we also buy awards for volunteer of the year and CCS winners. And gas grills.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:02:49 PM

Scorecards, boardcards, trophies & shelter rentals for Course Challenges alone can run as much as $500 a year. The club also spends $600+ in tournament sponsorship every year. I think we paid $400 to sponsor a hole at sycamore? The message board at Airy was club funded. A little money to Idlewild a few times a year & that adds up. The list of expenses goes on & on. Come to a meeting & I'm sure more people could tell you about what the club spends money on. Not everyone gets on this board, so it's hard to have in depth conversations or information about everything the club does on here. There is an opportunity six times a year to get all your questions answered, come to a meeting.
Kool Keith
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:14:25 PM

I wish we'd put a monthly expenditures .pdf on the site so anyone can see what the club is doing.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:49:30 PM

Anyone who comes to the meeting can see. You could also e-mail or call the club treasurer to ask for that info. I really don't think this website/board is the place for all the club's business.
Kool Keith
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:30:46 PM

Quote:
NEngle - 3/13/2007 2:49 PM
I really don't think this website/board is the place for all the club's business.

Why? This is the clubs website. This is where the world comes to see the GCFDA.

What do we have to hide?

Oh, the parks depts might read it and know what kind of balance we have - so what? It's not like we buy baskets or perform service at courses as The GCFDA now (on any kind large kind of scale). What are they going to do? Raid our accounts or pull courses?

I say go for it. Maybe it would improve the overall quality of DG in the area, and make us temper the rate at which we create quantity of courses.

bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:50:48 PM

Should a poll be taken and have a vote at the next meeting???
The volunteers of the club are not perfect but I do not think anyone is "pocketing" any money.
Stay in control everyone.
There are a number of different ways each of us volunteer.
It would sure be better to pat each other on the back, as opposed to criticizing each other.
Maybe there is another option to showing everyone the financial status of the club.
????????????????????
Let's work together

:band2
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:09:30 PM

Keith, can you find me financial statements from any other disc golf club?
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:37:12 PM

I say keith can have it...if he can organize it. Just because no one else does it, doesn't mean we shouldn't be the first, but on the other hand, do the benefits outweigh all of the necessary work and calculations?
Kool Keith
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:05:59 PM

Sure can Nick. Pick anyone of them that has their stuff together and are a non-profit. They have their records available for public viewing.

Why do we worry about other people or organizations? Can the GCFDA do one thing that hasn't been done before?
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:11:34 AM

The International Disc Golf Center in Georgia has its quarterly reports linked right on the front page of the PDGA's website.

But with that said, I agree with Nick. Make the statements available to the membership and other interested parties, but I don't see the benefit of updating our website with the information for just anyone to anonymously read. We are a private club, right?
M_Boland
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:14:27 AM

There is a reason no financial statements are posted online by the GCDGA....
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:32:00 AM

Quote:
STEVO - 3/14/2007 11:11 AM

The International Disc Golf Center in Georgia has its quarterly reports linked right on the front page of the PDGA's website.

But with that said, I agree with Nick. Make the statements available to the membership and other interested parties, but I don't see the benefit of updating our website with the information for just anyone to anonymously read. We are a private club, right?

Nope, we are not a private club. Anyone can join the GCFDA, and all membership really gets you is a discount in the CCS. You don't even have to be a disc golfer.

I'm not really sure what we have to hide... damn, we must be hiding it well though!!!!

Craig
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:27:31 AM

Membership gets you a discount on disc at disc-n-dat. You get a membership card, a sticker for your car, a newsletter that's getting started back up and last but not least a vote at the meetings.

I don't think this info should be disclosed. Why? You just trying to make more work that nobody will volenteer for or make that persons job that much harder?
berto
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:09:52 AM

WOW! look what I started. The whole reason I posted in the first place was so that maybe we could have a thread where issues that arrise between meetings could be discussed. Not only by your average member, but also where the leadership of the club could weigh in on things that are important for the clubs future success. I think that this message board could address a lot of issues in between. Perhaps there are some that may be better suited for in person meetings, but don't you think we could deal with a lot of frustration by not letting these issues build up for two months. Look I think that most of us want the same things. Which is an improved club through the ideas of it's leaders and members. The fact that this has stirred up some disagreements is evidence that we as a club have a ways to go. I think without a dialoge we cant gain any ground. So before we all get bent out of shape, lets remember that everyone of us play this game out of our love of this sport. Most of us will spend the rest of this year playing this sport together. I for one am not here to make enimies or be part of a click. I'm here to play. So lets move forward. When is the next club meeting?
We should strive to make every member feel invited, and also to gain possative ground every chance we get.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 7:45:54 PM

Hello Admin
Anyway to get the Monroe doubles on the front page.....with the others. I have printed flyers for the course and have referenced the website for info..Also a suggestion is that you make those all links to the thread that goes with it.