Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

18 hole course on East Side...INFO... Options
PaulDmt
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:32:04 AM

Looks like it's time to try again. I called to check and they are on for tonight (19th).
dg03
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 11:44:07 AM

Does anyone know if Mike Boland is still in the area? and, if so, where I could reach him?

Last year, Mike led an effort to develop a course at Miami Meadows Park in Miami Township, Clermont County. I think there may be an opportunity to make this happen, based on some information I learned recently. Mike had drawn up plans for a course, but we were led to believe that the area had been designated wetlands and could not be developed. That assumption is now in question, and the time is right to renew this effort.

I am not in a position to spearhead the effort, but will gladly participate in it. Mike had made some good contacts with the locals in Miami Township, and I hope he is still around.

Are there other Miami Township residents we can rely on to support disc golf in a township meeting? Or who would be willing to help if we can get something going? I think it is vital to have local, Miami Township resident support, and it would probably be best if the cause was led by a township resident, which I am not.
2Timer
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 12:10:47 PM

Mike is probably busy with business classes at this time, but I am sure that Alman could get a hold of him.
colin_hurley
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 7:10:37 PM

If I can help out let me know. I'm in Old Milford, not Miami Township. I'd love to see a course go in at Miami Meadows. Wetlands? Seriously? It didn't look very wet when I went there for a concert this summer. It's really open for the most part. I'll drive up there tomorrow and check it out again. wave
discnforfun
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:43:30 AM

The original area that was being looked at will never work. We walked it last fall and it looked great! There were lots of trees, a lake, some open space, everything but elevation changes. But this spring, into the early summer, it was an absolute, unplayable swamp! And even with the drought conditions it was bad deep into the summer. There is a lot of ground there but the original area under consideration would be a serious problem. All the wooded areas up there look ideal at this time of year, I've thought the same thing myself over the past years, but they fill up with water very, very faster in the winter and spring and I don't think draining them would be an option.

Hey Colin, I think you played soccer with my son way back when you guys were in grade school... ...maybe 15 or 16 years ago.
dg03
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:39:09 AM

The entire area around Miami Meadows is somewhat swampy and really holds water. The area they had identified is in the woods through the middle of the park. I had not walked the area, and am disappointed to hear Paul's comments above. However, Miami Twp has other park properties. Mike had surveyed Paxton Ramsey Park and told me that there could be some opportunity there as well. Regardless, I was told that there is interest in a course from the township and parks department, so I am hopeful that we can make the most of the opportunity while it exists.
As we all know, there are so few options on the east side.

Paul...if I recall from last year's Miami Twp meeting where we pitched the idea, didn't you have some contacts with Miami Twp? If you want, feel free to drop me a message and I can fill you in on what little information I have...
frizgolf
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:10:43 PM

If you need someone to speak up at a park board meeting, I'd be glad to go.
colin_hurley
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:47:01 PM

Hey discnforfun, What's your name? I haven't played soccer in 21 years, but it's quite possible that I played on your son's team. I grew up in Milford. See you on the course...
Lets_do_it
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 1:14:27 PM

Looks like I must be back on the site again....well...lets do this. I'm up for another shot at this. A few notes:
Yes, water would be a factor at Miami Meadows for the holes out in the open. Once you are in the woods, the elevation goes up from there, so water would not be an issue. If you observe the flat land in the open, yes, water would be an issue. I have checked out Paxton and Riverview parks. Riverview would be a second option. Miami Meadows (don't let the name fool you) has a great potential in the woods.There are natural long fairway shots through the woods without any tree cutting. The canopy is so dense in the woods, no honeysuckle or weeds exist. But yes, we should take another stab at it. I have pictures of potential holes for the visual ones. my email is: michael_boland_@hotmail.com
We should get something going...maybe for a meeting in early October? :-)
Lets_do_it
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 1:20:16 PM

I also would like to get some holes changed at Amelia (Paul D.??). Enough room for two tee pads on each hole. Each tee pad will also have a totaly different shot. That is another place that has the potential for the best 9 hole 3 state wide....no doubt. The bonus would be alternate tees on each hole. So technicaly, 18 hole layout with 9 baskets. I have pictures of some potential holes...Paul...they are worth looking at if you are interested. No tree cutting or erosion factor holes. again....great potential
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 8:28:15 AM

The best resource for the Amelia endeavor would be two of the best local pros, who play that course about everyday. They know that park better than anyone (Paul lives in Bridgetown), and I would think they, being Amelians, could get more dialogue going with the parks than the rest of us. I still think a Vandemarks Auto Parts disc golf course would be more than welcomed by the town of Amelia, and it wouldn't take much money or effort to improve the course. It was put in sort of temporary, to see how it played around the other park facilities and as a place holder until the park was completed. I'm thinking it's pretty well grooved now to know if it works, and what improvements could be done.

Cox and Vandemark???? How about it? It would be a good way to give back to the game a bit.
Jeff_V
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 9:10:50 AM

yuh ive been working on it, we just need some authorization to put some baskets's on top of the cars, and maybe in some of the junk vans. A little nine hole course would work just let me know!! A little C-tier would prolly work. 1st place= Engline 2nd place= Transmission 3rd place= free burnt car!!
Lets_do_it
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 9:23:17 AM

Peter...Paul,Brian, and I went to a meeting last year in Amelia. The board was up for the change once plans were drawn up. Vanderpark knew about the meeting and didn't show. Didn't know Cox at the time. I am sure that Cox and Vanderpark haven't went into the woods several times to look around, take notes, pictures, and draw up some plans, and a presentation ready to roll. If they want to help, lets do it. I have been at that park at least 20 times just to keep looking for new ideas and different holes. Everytime I show up, I take pictures, and keep loads of mental notes. Cox and Vanderpark know what I am trying to do with that course. There is a meeting twice each month and I intend on going to one in October with a presentation. The only endeavors I see are, Paul, Brain, and I....because they are the only ones putting in the effort.
Lets_do_it
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 9:25:48 AM

Hi Jeff....I think we posted at the same time. The park is up for the change once we get a plan drawn up. There is one, we just need to hit up a meeting. All the major talking went down at the first meeting. You need to come out Vanderpark...and Cox for that matter. It will be well worth it and the best 9 around without a doubt. Take it easy Jeff
soundmind
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 5:25:33 PM

miami madowz is close 2 me, so u all get chit rolling and let me know! any freedays i have i will bring out toolz n chainsaw and get to work.
dg03
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 11:41:58 AM

For Miami Township, Loveland and Milford residents wishing to show their support for disc golf in the area, please register your opinion in Miami Township's resident survey.

This is intended for Miami Township residents only, at the following web address.
www.Miamitwpoh.gov
-click "resident survey" and be sure to include a note in support of disc golf in the township. There are several questions that pertain speciically to the parks and recreation department.

Your help in supporting this effort is appreciated!
discnforfun
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 2:53:34 AM

I talked to Ed Humhries last week, longtime Miami Township trustee, again about putting a course in one of the township parks and he is still definitely interested in the idea. As soon as I get the Cincinnati State one formally approved and baskets ordered I would be willing to work on this concept. I live in Miami Township and it would be nice to get a local course.
Lets_do_it
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 5:31:19 AM

hello Paul D. I am currently going after Amelia with Paul Dumont and Brian (McSwine is his last name I think). That will be going on this month. Will be willing to try it again starting in November. count me in.
NEngle
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 11:43:24 AM

Brian Swingley
discndat
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 12:08:44 PM

Ah - he's a swine pig even if it is a McSwine! Say hi to Brian for me!
discnforfun
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 5:40:11 AM

November sounds perfect.

I did a property survey for Paxton-Ramsey Park in Miami Township 10 or 12 years ago. Had we been involved with that one from the beginning there's no doubt we could have gotten a nice 18 hole course there. As it is most of the open space is filled with soccer and baseball fields. There is a fairly big wooded area, larger than most casual observers would know belongs to the park. It has lots of very cool elevation change and it's not too terribly honeysuckle-invaded. The drawback with it is that there is a walking trail throughout a good portion that would need to be carefully dealt with in the design, but it could be done. The open area is so completely used by the sports fields that it will be difficult to use any of it with the exception of a hole that might tee from there into the woods. Anyway, I do believe a unique and challenging, probably a little too short, nine hole course would be possible.

I still have strong concerns about Miami Meadows. It looks really ideal right now... ...but I have been there many times in the Spring when it is an absolute mess.

Look forward to moving the along with the township folks. They might even be aware of some place else where the land they own is larger than developed and capable of supporting a course. Riverview Park, near Branch Hill, might include some of the area around the developed area that isn't all open, sports fields.

Later
colin_hurley
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 9:48:20 AM

I live in Old Milford (not Miami Township). Let me know what I can do to help.
dg03
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 7:14:15 PM

You never know what property the township might be sitting on, without publicizing it.

I have been to Miami Meadows when it was really wet as well, so there is good reason for doubt with this park. We certainly should not make any judgements on it's ability to hold or shed water based on this summer!

It is my understanding that several Miami Township officials are aware of our interest in getting a course in the area. Hopefully we can get the local disc golf enthusiasts to complete the on-line resident survey as well, and reenforce the need in this manner.