Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Possible Disc Golf article sources Options
mandiglia
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:22:21 PM

Greetings! I am a local writer looking to put together some materials about disc golf. I would like to get as much information as I can about the sport and I am looking for a number of people to interview. I am also considering doing more of a service journalism piece, giving beginners and people who know nothing about the sport information about how to get started, the equipment they'll need, the disc golf community, local courses... things of that nature. Any help I can get would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Amanda
Discgolfkid
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:04:22 PM

Here's a webpage that does a pretty decent job of explaining disc golf to new players. http://www.disclife.com/whatis.shtml

You can check out local courses on the courses tab from the homepage of cincinnatidiscgolf.com
discnforfun
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 8:58:46 AM

We are teaching an Introduction to Disc Golf course at Cincinnati State. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some information about the course. It covers a lot of the topics you have mentioned.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:16:18 AM

Disc golf is very analogous to "ball" golf (as disc golfers refer to the ancient game). Some folks play occasionally, strictly for fun; whereas others enter competitions ranging from "local", moderately friendly, low expense leagues/tournaments to World class, Worldwide (not just in the U.S.) tournaments with cash prizes sometimes in 5 figures. Barry Shultz (a full time Disc golfer) won $11,000 in the USDGC tournament last year (a three day tournament).

If you read through a few threads on this website and visit the PDGA.com website you will see much about our sport in terms of grass roots and International levels.

Cincinnati has close to thirty courses now - perhaps more than any other Metro area.

Fred Salaz might be a good interview candidate for an article as he is usually available and is quite a veteran of the sport. There are many other possible candidates in Greater Cincinnati as well.
Any volunteers out there?
mandiglia
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 9:52:19 AM

Many thanks for all the leads and ideas. I really appreciate it and welcome any more suggestions!
-Amanda
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:05:53 AM

Publicity for Ice Bowls......Have we ever had a newspaper cover our charitable tournaments (Ice Bowls) that we have during the winter. I believe this could make for a good read and a good article. If anyone has ever contacted anyone at the local papers about this let me know.
Lingo1976
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:18:43 PM

One of my best friends (Jason Feldman) currently writes for the RECORDER. I could possibly get some info to him if someone could pass me some.
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:15:36 AM

John, it's been quite a while since we had any publicity on the Icebowl. Once I get the Icebowl info together maybe we can look into it. Same for you Jason.
BIGBOY
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:23:18 PM

I think people will find it interesting that we are playing disc golf in the middle of the winter to raise money for a local charity. City Beat, Cincinnati Enquirer and possibly a NKY newspaper might be interested. Once you get the info together I will make some phone calls and see where we can take this.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:15:55 PM

Dan, I am thinking of asking the Boone county parks to close Idlewild for a couple of months this winter so I can reseed and give the course a chance to recoup from the drought and the beating it takes over the winter. Maybe AJ Jolly would be a good alternative.
discndat
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:10:21 AM

Fred, Let me know what the decision is and when.