Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Disc recommendations Options
greenhills
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:13:48 PM

I have been playing for years, but still can't keep the extra-long distance drivers from tailing off at the end of my throw.
I have had good success with a Ching Sniper, but it is now beat-up and no longer handles like it should.
Do you guys have any suggestions for a disc that might be similar to the Sniper?

Thanks
Kool Keith
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:48:39 PM

Extra long distance drivers will usually fall off pretty well left at the end of the throw, because by nature they have to be pretty stable to overstable to handle the great initial velocity needed to go long.

If you don't have the technique/power to max out these extra long distance drivers, or you have never thrown 400 feet or more, match the driver to your arm speed for maximum results. If a Wraith falls off too much for you, try a Sidewinder or Pro Starfire. If that still falls off too much, try a Valkyrie. If that is still too stable, try an Archangel.

Sorry for putting only Innova drivers in the list - they are the one's I'm most familiar with. Also, Gottagogottathrow.com has a nice chart that helps in disc selection. It's pretty easy to decipher once you look it over a few times.

Also, there is a product that a local here markets and sells, The Equalizer. You can get it locally from Fred Salaz. PM him on the board here for more information. It helped me with my form greatly in learning how to apply strength to a thrown disc.

bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:30:27 PM

Besides disc selection, try throwing a bit lower to avoid the "tail off" at the end of a long throw. Any disc will eventually "go left" (for a right handed player) if it has been thrown too high. For best control, especially in the woods, throw low and firm shots.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:26:45 PM

I recommend an Avenger SS. It is a newer high speed driver.
rangel
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:03:57 AM

The Ching Sniper, now obsolete, have Innova CLOSE cousins in the Gremlin and the Panther. Unfortunately, I think they are out of print as well. They might make the Champion Panther (still). You might try Innova's XD or Discraft's Comet.
greenhills
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:29:35 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am familar with the Equalizer, but I didn't realize it helped with technique, I thought it was just a strength builder. I am planning on stopping down and seeing Fred when he opens up the Mount Airy clubhouse. The thing that I really want to develop is the "snap" at the end of my throw.
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:09:54 AM

The snap is a big part of throwing long and straight.

Hold a hand towel (or golf towel) by one corner in your throwing hand, and make your throwing motion. Make the towel pop... remember that feeling, and incorporate it into your game.

I do the same thing with the Equalizer - I use it to help stretch before I play, then after I'm stretched well in every direction, I will make some "full swings" with it and try to pop the band. You'll know it when you are doing it, but I'll start to stretch it where the band has some tension, then I'll go the full swing and try to get that handle thru my swing before the band catches up. It's hard to explain, but you'll know when you are doing it right.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 10:16:33 AM

So is the snap better than doing a follow through?
Kool Keith
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 11:29:14 AM

Follow thru is important - but snap is key.

The spin and snap that you impart on the disc at the release is the key to throwing long, straight shots. Snap doesn't have to be audible to be effective either.

Snap lets you KEEP the disc from it's natural stability for a longer period of time - you can throw straighter shots that won't fall off the table as much. You will gain distance this way, and as you progress you will be able to throw faster profile/more overstable discs straighter, and then you'll get more D that way too.

Follow thru helps you initially put the disc on the line you want - high release anhyzers, ceiling shots, spike hyzers - these shots all are influenced GREATLY by the follow thru.

Matt Blakely doesn't throw far because he bench press the same as Avery Jenkins. It's snap/hit/release that gets the whole party started.

finnhawc
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 1:27:29 PM

How does Tyler get any distance? Check it, it is smooth that gets you the most distance. Go look at little big arms-Ken Jarvis comes to mind; slow and smooth. Equalize and throw smooth.
DanH
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 9:44:22 PM

Reach back and rotate and pull smoothly, but most of your energy should be on the snap like Keith says. Even with the biggest arms you'll notice significant differences in their technique though so don't get caught up with any one person's form. At some point it just comes down to arm speed. For example, the difference between a distance runner and sprinter is 25% fast-twich muscle fibers to 85% fast-twitch muscle fibers. Those guys that throw 500+ are going to throw far no matter what they do. Some people can just move their limbs faster. But with the right technique, even the slowest arms should be able to throw 300 - 350 (for men).