Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

PDGA Grants for GCFDGA!!! Options
13ruce-1337
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:11:49 PM

http://www.pdga.com/documents/2008/PDGAInnovationGrantApplication.pdf     .. this was in the latest newsletter.  

We should try to get 10 memberships to pdga at 50 dollars each thats 500.   We could prolly get more rec's and intermediate players at our CC events if we were to give these out as prizes or raffle them off like Nick did at DorD 2007.  We all have those friends who play local stuff but arent a PDGA member . Just a thought ..hell free stuff is free stuff.
LStephens
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:57:30 PM

I agree. I feel that CCS is an introduction to tournament play. Once a player has played in more than a few CC's they are probably ready for PDGA sanctioned events but they may not be able to afford the $50 for membership on top of their ~$30 entry to their first tournament. This year the fee for non-members jumped to $10 so that is pretty harsh if they just wanted to try a PDGA event. If we gave memberships out for prizes or drawings I believe we could help the sport grow..and who here doesn't want a bunch of new donators to their divisions? :)

I personally would like to see where our CCS is PDGA sanctioned but maybe as a XC-Tier where the PDGA fee is waived to try and bring in new members. PDGA ratings would only be calculated and saved for PDGA members so I don't see where the problem would be. I believe Chuck Kennedy was talking about getting things like CCS's, Mini's..whatever you want to call them..and even weekly leagues and what not...have PDGA ratings and points for those events..but maybe weighting your average lower for those events versus major events.
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:43:46 AM

Sounds like a good idea, Chad. There is a D tier that was created for this purpose, I don't think it is being utilized as intended. The X designation waves the non-member PDGA fee? I thought it just stood for an experimental format? Did Chuck say that, Lee?
LStephens
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:13:54 AM

He said they were mulling over some ideas. This was some of the ideas they are mulling over. Most of my conversation with him was about why Cincinnati hasn't stepped up to the plate for 2010 Pro Worlds. Everyone outside of Cincinnati wants us to host it but it is a money losing venture if you can't also have Am Worlds. The PDGA is to the point where a serious financial 'prop up' may be in order to help ease the burden of running Pro Worlds.
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:38:56 AM

Yes, it is in order; for a "professional" organization to expect local clubs to foot the bill is just plain silly. Ken Climo started to sing the praises of our courses but, lamented the demise of Cabin Creek.
LStephens
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:45:27 AM

In my oh so humble opinion. Being 'awarded' Pro Worlds should be on a smaller scale of being awarded the Olympics. There should be serious proposals from many cities and it should be a difficult decision by the PDGA to pick which one will host. There should be a lot of work to upgrade the courses in the hosting city....with the knowledge that the efforts will pay off hundred folds. Hosting the Worlds one time should give a local club enough money to fund local projects for a decade.

This current format is far far far from that. Maybe in 10 years we will be to that point.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:12:56 PM

LStephens wrote:
  Hosting the Worlds one time should give a local club enough money to fund local projects for a decade. This current format is far far far from that. Maybe in 10 years we will be to that point.

Lee, it's been a decade since GCFDA hosted the last worlds and I have yet to see local  (major) projects funded by the club.
For example:  Adam and I met with the park supervisor at Mt Airy on Tuesday and he was really disappointed in the clubs participation or lack of in maintaining the course at Mt Airy.  At one point he said "I may even pull the course". Changes are going to have to be made on the course because of erosion problems that he pointed out.  Baskets are going to have to be moved so that the erosion problems may be able to come back.  You may not like the changes but we have to do what is best for the course and we need to stay on the good side of the park supervisor.

Adam and I will post work days and projects that are a priority.  So, if you really want to host the worlds let's start now with Mt Airy so that maybe we could talk the parks into putting in another 18 . But, we have to prove ourselves first.

I am down to one crutch as of today but I can still supervise the work but unfortunately I also found out that I won't be allowed to throw till August.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:33:06 PM

How in the hell did this turn into a pissing match about worlds and sanctioning CC series yet again? I SIMPLY SAID WE SHOULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FREE GRANTS PDGA ARE OFFERING! It would be a great way to get some of the "on the edge" disc golfers to attend not only the CC but also get a free pass to play a year in PDGA events. If you guys want to debate worlds coming here or what should be done to get OHIO courses up to par environmentally start your own thread.

And FYI this particular disc golfer doesnt give a crap whos who in what circle in the disc golf community.. and name dropping is just tacky. 
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:57:18 PM

Chad, Lee commented on the worlds and I responded to that comment. It was off topic but that happens all the time. I like the idea of free grants from the PDGA. Why don't you follow up on that idea and report back at the next meeting. I'm thinking everyone else is too busy. Not sure what you mean by dropping names but if I'm wrong I'll be sure to apologize.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:01:54 PM

Not to much to follow up on .. paper work is in link .. im not even a member of GCFDA.  Of course we could always put it on the docket and miss the deadline seems to be par for the course.  As far as the name dropping they know who they are ..
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:14:04 PM

laugh laugh laugh
13ruce-1337
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:58:32 PM

You two can start "I TALKED TO MR. SO N SO" enough said
andersab
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:33:09 PM

13ruce-1337 wrote:
Not to much to follow up on .. paper work is in link .. im not even a member of GCFDA.  Of course we could always put it on the docket and miss the deadline seems to be par for the course.

Chad, I tried that link and it said page not found... ?

I also don't understand the docket and miss deadline?  Is there a timely manner for this?
discndat
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:02:28 PM

http://www.pdga.com/documents/2008/PDGAInnovationGrantApplication.pdf 

I'm not sure why Chad's link didn't work - I think this one does.
andersab
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:55:33 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:

For example:  Adam and I met with the park supervisor at Mt Airy on Tuesday and he was really disappointed in the clubs participation or lack of in maintaining the course at Mt Airy.  At one point he said "I may even pull the course".

Adam and Fred, can you post the list of projects that you got from the park supervisor under the Mt. Airy thread?  I would be interested to see what type of projects they are interested in.