Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Discs For Kids Options
Ian Smith
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:19:20 PM

Hi...

My name is Ian Smith and I have been playing Frisbee Golf since high school. I'm the guy that Jason Kerl was talking about back in August if you happened to read about us. I work in the Covington School system with a program called Fitness Rocks. We coordinate programs to promote Fitness and Nutrition to the elementary students in Covington. I have been trying to start a reward program at the elementary schools for the past couple months and I just got the go ahead last week. I have nine baskets, so I am setting up temporary courses at the schools for the kids to play as a reward for good behavior. The catch is that it is going to begin THIS FRIDAY.

I need discs! The fourth and fifth grade teachers that I am working with have some funds that they have offered, but if there is anyway I can find discs without using their money they would be able to use their funds for field trips, etc.

So I guess I am asking for donations. If anyone has any discs, I will gladly come pick them up. I'll take little or big discs, old or new discs: anything you are not using. If you'd like, I'll even write your website on the backside of the discs for promotions. I'm trying for enough in order to GIVE to the kids. If I don't get many though, I'll just hold onto them for the program and just let the kids USE them.

One other thing... Jason Kerl and Liz Shooner have already been helping me with some programs. I'd like to thank them publicly because thanks to them, these programs have been very successful. I hope there are others that would like to help get kids involved in this wonderful sport. This is, in part, what I'm trying to do. My other objective is to offer reward programs where kids are being active as opposed to having pizza parties. If you would like to help, offer ideas, or want to know more info about the program, please contact me by email (iansmith22@yahoo.com) or call me at 859 630 9555. Or you can just reply to me here on your website.

Thanks for listening/reading and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ian

:play
BIGBOY
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 1:43:11 PM

Ian,

I can probably come up with 5-10 discs that I could donate to your worthwhile cause. Let me look through my stash and I will get back to you via message board. Who else is going to step up to the plate?

Sincerely your friendly neighborhood kuhns
Ian Smith
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 8:43:49 PM

Thank you, sir. I could meet you this week sometime. Wednesday during the day or Thursday sometime. Let me know. Thanks again.

Ian
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 9:12:04 PM

Ian, I've got about 20 -25 in my old distance box, lots of them are first run discs, mostly dx though. Let me know where to take them.
LStephens
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 9:24:00 PM

How many kids are we talking about?
Ian Smith
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 11:12:40 PM

Fred,

That's great!! Although they really don't have to be new. But if you don't think you will use them, we would be very grateful. I live in Latonia. Very close to you, I see. I will come to your house or you can come to mine. I'll meet you somewhere if you would prefer. Banklick if nothing else. I'm free after 7 tomorrow night, during the day most of Wednesday, and sporadic times on Thursday. Whatever works for you, let me know. Thanks alot!!

LStephens,

It is a group of 3 fourth grade teachers that team teach. The goal is to get everyone to have good behavior throughout the week thus earning the right to come to FUN FRIDAY!!!! But this usually isn't the case. There are about 50 or so altogether. The teachers are guessing about half of that will probably be able to come play. I need to get at least 30 discs to be on the safe side to let students use throughout the year. I would like more though as an added incentive. I would like to give a disc to each student that comes to play 4 times in a row (a complete month of good behavior). Or maybe a mini for two weeks. I have a few of them left from Liz. If you have extras to give we would be more than appreciative.

Thanks guys,

Ian
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:28:03 PM

It's probably alittle late at this point but try and contact the people at EDGE via the pdga website. This is exactly what that program is for.
They may be able to help out in the future.
I will see what I can give also and get back to ya.
Good luck bud, anything for the kiddies :)
Ian Smith
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 2:36:52 PM

I tried to contact people at EDGE back in August, but they never got back with me. I emailed them three times from my school address and they still never got back with me. It didn't seem like too great of a deal anyway, as far as equipment goes. We already have the baskets. We just need discs and some people willing to teach a bit. Thanks for the thought though.
Craig
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 3:13:41 PM

BIG E, what time you startin on friday. Should have a few disc but I'd like to stop down as well.
BIGBOY
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:27:46 PM

Ian, I looked through my stash and found about 30 discs to donate. I am giving them to Liz tomorrow night after work and she can get them to you. I have my name on most of them since they are discs that I threw in the past. If you want to take the time you can clean of the marker writing by scrubbing them with acetone. Just a thought and good luck. Let us know how it is going and if we can help in any other way.

kuhns
Ian Smith
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:34:17 PM

Big Boy,

You are the man, and now, my favorite burger in the greater cincinnati area. Thank you very much for your help. I will be sure to update you on the program. I'm excited as all get out!!!

It's all about the Tarter Sauce,

Ian
Lingo1976
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:43:13 PM

Hellllllllz yeah #2 no pickle extra tartar a vanilla coke and some onion rings my brotha!!!!!!!

I just wanted to that everyone to help my friend Ian and the kids in the COV out. I told him that I didn't have enough discs to help him out but I could get him in contact with some people. I told him that I would post a message and Liz soon answered and hooked him up with some discs. As I got to know more and more of you. I told him what a great group of people that you all are. That he should just get on the site and many people would help him out. Whats better than helping the future of the sport learn how to play...

Thanks again everyone,
and Ian keep us updated on the program, let us know if you need anything else..

J-son
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 2:38:06 PM

Ian, Did you get the disc that I gave Liz to pass on to you? I am just curious, how many discs did you get from posting on our board?
Ian Smith
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:32:03 PM

Yeah, I got the discs you gave to Liz. Thank you so much!!

I haven't had chance to count them, yet, but I can tell you that my car is completely full right now with discs, baskets, spray paint and cones!!! I have a whole course in my Civic!!! Its a thing of beauty really. Tomorrow is the BIG DAY. I'll let you guys know how it goes this weekend.

Thanks again,

Ian
Ian Smith
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 1:02:02 PM

I just want to yell out a big THANK YOU to all of the people who helped me with everything last week. I came to you guys looking for help with very little notice and you guys came through more than I had ever hoped. Thanks to everyone on this message board, the program was a great success!!! A huge THANKS goes to Liz Shooner and Craig Law who came out to Ninth District and helped with the kids and the program. Craig even helped me set up the course!!! The kids loved watching them throw discs so far. They were Ooooing and Ahhhhing at their skills.

Also, thanks al whole lot to all of the people who donated discs. I recieved over 100 discs!!!! That should be plenty for the rest of the year and enough to give out to some kids throughout the year as an additional incentive!!!!

By the way, the program went so well as an incentive that the number of kids who got to come to Fun Friday went up from 13 the previous week to 37 last week!!! That's 24 students who behaved better this week in order to attend the Disc Golf Program!!!!! The 4th grade teachers were overwhelmed with happiness and they have asked us back every week.

If anyone would like to help on Fridays in the future, please contact me through here or by email. These students are going to be some of the people winning your tournaments in about 10 years, so come and check out some of your future competition.

Thanks again,

Ian C. Smith

BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 7:51:40 AM

That is awesome! rock
BIGBOY
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 3:59:22 PM

Liz, have you heard how the disc golf program is coming along.
soundmind
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:24:10 AM

look @ all the luv i mizzed ,u folkz all are great! even if you are people.
Ian Smith
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 3:23:44 PM

I just wanted to update you guys on how the frisbee golf went in the Covington Elementary Schools, but when I got here I saw how much improved your website is!!! Great job!!!

Anyway, the Frisbee Golf Incentive Program was a huge success!! A huge part of the credit for this goes to you guys. Many people stepped it up to get me discs for the program, as well as some people even came in person to help with the program. The Incentive Program ended up being picked up by three elementary schools in Covington! Both 4th and 5th grades at each school took part in the program. So altogether, about 150 kids were part of the program!!! I gave out discs that you guys donated to about half of those children for winning various competions as well as meeting other criteria for the program. I handed out flyers with directions to many of the local courses to many of the children in hopes that the disc golfing would continue with their families after school. In early May, I set up a booth at the Latonia Baptist Kids Fest with a Frisbee Golf putting game and continued to promote the sport we all love.

Who knows how many children and families have taken up the sport because of the program, but as far as this school year goes, Frisbee Golf was a big hit for many, many children in Covington.

Thanks again for all of your support.  Let me know if there is anything I can do in order to support you guys. 

Ian C. Smith