Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

New to disc golf, have a couple of quesitons Options
bjohnson78
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 10:19:43 AM

I'm new to disc golf and was wondering what type of disc would be good for a beginner?  Also, what courses are good for a beginner as well.  Any help would be appreciated.
KevinB
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 10:33:50 AM

Cheetah & Aviar, the best players start that way.
Boone Woods is a good beginner course.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 10:41:24 AM

Woodland Mound in Anderson, Winton Woods, and Miami Whitewater are good beginner courses too. A Buzz or a Roc are good too if you're not used to throwing beveled-edge discs.
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 10:47:10 AM

Get a stable disc, an understable disc and a putter. Stable goes straight, the understable will turn in the same directions as the disc is spinning more easily, and the putter is for shorter shots. Don't get overstable discs at this point(unless you like the forehand shot) they only hinder your ability to learn the most important shot in disc golf-the straight shot. The Cheetah is a good choice for a stable disc, try a Stingray for an understable disc and go into an open field to see how these discs fly.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 1:15:14 PM

My all time favorite, straight flying disc, is the Comet.
I still carry 2 in my bag. One is over 10 years old.
LStephens
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:11:36 AM

Most of the new people I've introduced this year have had much luck with an XS driver, Buzz midrange and a Banger GT putter. Everyone wants to jump on the Innova overstable bandwagon when they first start playing...and I for one made that mistake and suffered for it.

bjohnson78, if you are ever around Boone Woods around noon on a weekday..you can play a round with us anytime. We have all levels of experience in our group and play for just fun...some times we don't even keep score.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 1:41:33 AM

Lessons from a good player would go a long way to make you a better player. Disc manufacturer choice doesn't matter but check out what the best players in the world throw and figure it out for yourself.
finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 10:31:41 AM

I agree Lee overstable is not the way to go, the discs mentioned above are not overstable by any means and that is exactly why I recommended them. Innova has always had the best first disc you should own-the Stingray(Climo used to throw this puppy 400 ft.+) starts out going str8er and once it starts turning you are ready for more stable discs. Play with people that are better than you.
perica
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2008 4:31:15 PM

the shark is also a great beginner disc. you can throw it off the tee, approach and even putt with it.

what part of town are you in? there are lots of great courses to learn on.