Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Are you wiling to spend some time with kids and teach them how to play disc golf? Options
matthew_blakely
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 7:10:54 PM

This is an email I recieved.  Please read, and if you are interested follow up and help out the kids.

As some of you know I work at a summer camp, this summer we are providing a camp for children with amputations.  My questions is, of all of the guru’s of disc golf out there does anyone know of anyone in the Cincinnati area that does an adaptive disc golf program.  If anyone has any info or knows someone who might be interested in teaching kids how to play disc golf for a day or two this summer please let me know.  See you all in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Hackman

Camps Associate Program Director

Medical Camps Coordinator

Joy Outdoor Education Center, LLC

P.O. Box 157

Clarksville, OH 45113

Ph: 1-800-300-7094

Fax: 937-289-3179

www.joec.org

LStephens
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 11:56:25 PM

Seems like a very worthy cause. I wish I had the time. Also, we know I must teach myself how to play before I can teach others. Then again..I may fall into the old saying of 'those who can...do..those who can't...teach'. I have worked in years past at summer camps for boy scouts, YMCA, and others...it is a rewarding experience. However...this year I'm going to be very selfish and play as many tournaments on the weekends that I can. If I can help it..I'll be playing a tournament every weekend...and sometimes two in one weekend. With 12 hour days at work to make sure I'm not required to work an occasional Saturday..that leaves no time for the kids :(

On another thought...we ALL know...if this email said 'Summer camp of 18 year old girls wanting to learn disc golf'.... Blakely would have never forwarded or posted it...but kept it to himself.
Heavy_D
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 10:47:40 AM

The Osage Orange cabin ROCKS!!!

(we beat all the other cabins at all the events!!)
(actually, I can't believe I can remember that far back!!!!!)
andersab
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 12:11:37 PM

I may be interested once some dates are published.
KevinB
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 4:06:24 PM

I left Kevin Hackman a message to find out dates he is planning for this event. I know it's hard to get a group together, but this would be a cool thing for a group, representing the club, to do. I'll advise what I hear back.
disc golfer girl
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:05:47 PM

Have we heard any more on this? I am very interested in participating in something like this as well. My dad and I did a summer camp event for the blind several years and we had such a great time. The kids used sound devices that were rigged up in plastic eggs in order to locate the basket as they were throwing. They had a lot of fun and were very happy that they could particiapte.