Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Michigan Courses? Options
ahlavac
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:07:17 AM

Can anyone recommend some good courses near Grand Rapids, MI?  I'm going to the Rothbury Music Festival over the 4th of July weekend and would like to play some new courses while I'm up there...
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 11:05:02 AM

Riverside is the only decent course in GR, overall. Brewer can be fun I just haven't played since a remodel a few years ago. 45 min south in Kalamazoo you'll find very good courses like Robert Morris($5) and Oshtemo both difficult and championship style courses to be used at Worlds this year. On the way there though in Ypsilanti, MI is a course called Rolling Hills and it is one of my favorite courses with tight fairways and cool elevation changes. Then there is Hudson Mills in Dexter($4 park entry and $2 to play) disc golf country club golf with two 24 hole courses. The Monster course has Championship pins that are true par 4's.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 4:41:43 PM

I thought Finny would chime in...
Hudson Mills IS really nice but keep a close eye on your errant throws - there are some nooks and crannies in which discs can hide.
Michi
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 5:28:47 PM

hey john, could you lend me a hand as well? i am a few days away from returning from Toronto. what`s the closest course to Detroit that you would recommend? rolling hills? when I asked Donovan before I left, he said that hudson mills and rolling hills were his top choices given my drive. what`cha think?
Michi
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 5:35:18 PM

also, just as a general tip for anyone who is playing on coming up around this area (toronto or ottawa), I got to play Centennial Park (Etobicoke, outside Toronto), Toronto Island, and Jacques Cartier Park (Ottawa). Centennial was an impressive 27 hole course with a wide mix of terrain and elevation, and a couple of water holes. 1/2 of the course is poorly marked, but it seemed to be the heart of the disc golf community for Toronto. Toronto Island is being redone so the markers are extremely confusing. if you play this course before the changes are completed, look for the hole numbers on the short tees. Jacques Cartier Park was the most frustrating because they changed it from 18 to 12, but still have the old markers up. the rumor is that they will be moving the course elsewhere.
finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:51:02 AM

True Bob, the rough is like the disc golf version of U.S. Open courses but it is very well maintained.Michi, there are some courses in St. Thomas, ON that are very cool with signature holes like a 538 ft. downhill hole aced by Marty Peters who played the D&Dat this year. As far as Hudson Mills it is worth playing for sure. I'll update this info for you Michi, later...