Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

BEST COURSE WITHIN TWO HOURS? Options
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 10:40:48 AM

I am from the Cincinnati area, and i was planning on going on a road trip this weekend to play a couple courses. Any suggestions on what courses anybody would recommend. Other then Idlewild, Mt. Airy, sycamore trails, and belmont? Im not sure whether i want to go north, south, east or west, so any suggestions would be great!!! And id like to play two courses in the area, so any ideas?
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:16:07 PM

You could play the Columbus courses: Hambrick, Griggs, Lobdell, Blendon (in that order).

You could go out east and play Chillicothe's Pike Lake and/or Great Seal.

You could hit the trio of Gulley, Turtlecreek, and Monroe without driving very far (go up I-71 and back I-75).

Or head South. I hear Jenny Wiley is worth the trip, but I don't know what else is down there.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:31:20 PM

SO is Chillicothe Lake/ and great seal, close enough to play on the same day? And how far do you think they are away from the monroe area? Sorry for so many questions, id just like to play a top notch course, and i dont know of any other then idlewild, mt. airy... How nice is the chilicothe course? worth the trip?
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:49:32 PM

Great Seal and Pike Lake are about 40 minutes apart and both are top notch courses. I would say it is about an hour and twenty minutes to great seal.

If you decide to play Great Seal make sure you take grippy shoes and your A game. It will test every shot in your bag :)
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:41:02 AM

If you have not played the Dayton courses yet you should consider them too. You will be closer to home and thus, have more daylight to play.
rangel
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 9:36:36 AM

Going South.

There's a B tier in Louisville Saturday. Iroquois Park will be very busy.

(These are more than 2 hours away.) The two courses I like best in those parts are Freeman Lake in E'town (Elizabethtown) and Yellow Creek Park in Owensboro. Both play around or over lakes. One I would like to play is Ohio County Park in Hartford.

And for those cave dwellers out there. A new course opened in Brownsville. The course should be less than 10 miles from Mammoth Cave.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:44:55 AM

Thansk for all the help!!! i think im going to make the trip to great seal, as long as if its not raining...
chief32
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 11:58:31 AM

I'll be camping @ Pike Lake this weekend. Maybe, I'll see you on the course.
DeMagnet76
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:59:54 PM

The Cumberland course in Jamestown is extremely nice. It used to be a 9 hole ball golf course. Being a resort community, the course is well maintained.
cappy
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 8:58:35 PM

Gents,
I am from Chillicothe and in the near future I will be working a few weekends at the new Honda plant in Greensburg, Indiana. I was curious if any of you knew of any courses in Indiana that are not too far from there (halfway between Indy and Cincy). I know there are courses in Indianapolis but after work I won't have the time to drive that far. Also, what Northern Cincy courses would you recommend that I could hit on the drive over. I have played Winton and Miami Whitewater in that area around 74 W out of town. On the way home I also stopped at Gulley. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
nate cappy
13ruce-1337
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 9:18:51 PM

Mt. Airy is off 74.
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:47:49 PM

Harbin is just a bit north off I-275.
Check out the local course map on the front page of the site to see all of the courses.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:39:12 PM

Oxford might be a driveable distance.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:40:48 AM

So has anybody gotten to play the course in Brownsville? (near Mammoth Caves) Im thinking about going out to Mammoth caves with my family, and i may be able to talk the old lady into playing it. Then again im a wishfull thinker!!!
Ben Shooner
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:04:47 AM

A few of us played Charlie Vettiner in L'ville yesterday and I'd have to say that it's one of the best around. I cannot compare it to any other course really. It has distance, woods, open shots, plenty of OB and mandos-yet many holes are still reachable.

Every tee shot is a little different-and if you can't get off the tee, you can be in for big trouble. There is a good amount of well-marked OB, but nothing ridiculous. Overall, the course is very well-designed and well cared for. You don't need to have a cannon, or be extrememly lucky to shoot a good round-but you do need to hit your lines, and be fundamentally sound. I'd highly suggest it if you're down that way.
mikesech
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:42:13 PM

harbin is a great course to play
andersab
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:17:13 PM

mikesech wrote:
harbin is a great course to play

Not unless its the pig layout