Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Oxford CCS/BID Options
DanH
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:34:41 PM

Pure distance is not going to work without the laser range finder. And I still doubt we're going to have time for this. But I'll help after the tournament if we do.
BIGBOY
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 8:47:23 AM

Thank you for all the people who have contacted me regarding baskets. Here is what I have so far.
Dave marlow -2 baskets
John kuhns - skill shot
Mike Seachrist - 1 basket
Mike kimner - 1 basket
Dan Hollingshead - 1 basket
We still need 4 baskets, or 5 baskets if you don't want to put on a skill shot. Please let me know if you can bring a basket. Call me at 513-520-1432. You can also text message me if you need to. I am going to the course this evening to set up temporary holes and will be in Oxford between 6 and 7. Let me know if you want to meet me there.
BIGBOY
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 8:56:18 AM

Hey I have nothing to do on Saturday but play disc golf so if someone wants to donate their money for a distance comp, I am game. If we run out of time and people want to stay and throw distance I am fine with that. We will see how the day lays out. Don't forget your sunscreen. It will be a warm day tomorrow.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 11:21:24 AM

I have an inStep basket I could bring. It has no inner chains, but if we're short 4 baskets it could help.
T_Vincent
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 12:28:41 PM

I also have an Instep, But I added an inner row of chains.
mikesech
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 12:37:00 PM

im sure insteps would work its better than nothing
DanH
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 7:12:48 PM

I'll bring our Innova Skillshot also in case we need it.
mikesech
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 7:23:12 PM

IF ANYONE HAS ANY BASKETS GOAHEAD AND BRINGTHEM THANKS
mikekem
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 7:49:55 PM

It's spelled Kemner, Koons!
kmaupin
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 12:43:19 AM

Where are the sign-ups happening, I am sure I can drive around the course and spot Big Boy but I just realized that it won't necessarily be at Hole 1.

Thanks in advance for the info.
BIGBOY
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 9:31:42 AM

Thanks to all that showed for the Oxford CCS/BID. It was a long day of two rounds of 27 holes. The flow was good and had backups only on a few holes. We had a total of 90 people. The sun was hot and the day was long. Jeff V. took first in Open. I can not remember the rest.
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 11:20:09 AM

So, you only needed 24 holes after all, sorry I missed this one as it was a ton of fun last year. Good Job Jeff! I don't see how anybody can catch you now.
TMILLER
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 3:23:45 PM

As a Dayton player who makes it a point to try to make the pilgrimage to Oxford every year due to the love of the course, I was a major proponent of the push to create a combined Cincy-Dayton event there this year and was elated that it actually came to pass. Credit goes to those from both the DDGA and the GCFDA for overcoming myriad obstacles and making it happen. The hope was that in combining a couple of events, it would foster increased camaraderie between the two disc golf communities and generate big turnouts. I think that for both the Monroe-Turtlecreek and the Big Ox events, those two goals were met, making the effort an unqualified success.

I want to congratulate all who won and survived BIG OX this year. It was truly survival of the fittest out there this year. As usual, I was paired with some great Cincinnati players which made the grueling temperatures easier to bear, which is one of the reasons I enjoy this tournament so much each year. However as with any new endeavor, there are always lessons to be learned and ways things that can be improved upon. I would like to make a couple of suggestions for next year.

For a 24 or 27 hole event with people coming from far-flung reaches, the start time needs to be no later than say, 9:30 tee-off. At the risk of possibly ending up excluding those Friday night owl late Saturday risers, I think that for both combined events next year, it would be reasonable to mandate an 8:30 final sign-up. That way, a 9:30 start would better accommodate additional holes and large turnout. It would also give a fair cushion of time in case of random acts of nature as was endured out at Monroe-Turtlecreek. I would like to attend these events again in the future, but would really have to bow out if I’m not getting home until 9:00 pm.

One final thought is that I felt that at Big Ox, once it was determined that we were at about 90 participants, a decision might have been made to reduce the number of holes to 24 or perhaps less, given the late start time. I was in threesomes for both rounds, but would have had no problem playing four to a card. This certainly should have been considered between rounds, especially given the time and heat factor. But hey, I know that the TDs did the best that they could, and the flow was actually very smooth with hardly any backups. I commend them for the effort. But inquiring minds want to know, why the 10:54 tee off time?

It was great fun for me, I think that both clubs benefitted, and I feel it was something long overdue. I will look forward to attending next years’ combined Cincinnati-Dayton events.
DanH
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 3:41:38 PM

I also think we could have played 24 instead of 27. It still would have averaged out to less than 4 per hole. But I think it was a great move to only put the pros on the long tee of #8. That hole was still the worst back up even with Ams playing from the short tee.

Sorry I don't have the scores up yet, but I was too brain dead after 54 holes to remember to grab the board cards from John before I left. I'll get the scores up as soon as I can get ahold of the cards. I too look forward to next year's combined CCS/BID events.
andersab
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 3:55:23 PM

TMILLER wrote:
As a Dayton player who makes it a point to try to make the pilgrimage to Oxford every year due to the love of the course, I was a major proponent of the push to create a combined Cincy-Dayton event there this year and was elated that it actually came to pass. Credit goes to those from both the DDGA and the GCFDA for overcoming myriad obstacles and making it happen. The hope was that in combining a couple of events, it would foster increased camaraderie between the two disc golf communities and generate big turnouts. I think that for both the Monroe-Turtlecreek and the Big Ox events, those two goals were met, making the effort an unqualified success. I want to congratulate all who won and survived BIG OX this year. It was truly survival of the fittest out there this year. As usual, I was paired with some great Cincinnati players which made the grueling temperatures easier to bear, which is one of the reasons I enjoy this tournament so much each year. However as with any new endeavor, there are always lessons to be learned and ways things that can be improved upon. I would like to make a couple of suggestions for next year. For a 24 or 27 hole event with people coming from far-flung reaches, the start time needs to be no later than say, 9:30 tee-off. At the risk of possibly ending up excluding those Friday night owl late Saturday risers, I think that for both combined events next year, it would be reasonable to mandate an 8:30 final sign-up. That way, a 9:30 start would better accommodate additional holes and large turnout. It would also give a fair cushion of time in case of random acts of nature as was endured out at Monroe-Turtlecreek. I would like to attend these events again in the future, but would really have to bow out if I’m not getting home until 9:00 pm. One final thought is that I felt that at Big Ox, once it was determined that we were at about 90 participants, a decision might have been made to reduce the number of holes to 24 or perhaps less, given the late start time. I was in threesomes for both rounds, but would have had no problem playing four to a card. This certainly should have been considered between rounds, especially given the time and heat factor. But hey, I know that the TDs did the best that they could, and the flow was actually very smooth with hardly any backups. I commend them for the effort. But inquiring minds want to know, why the 10:54 tee off time? It was great fun for me, I think that both clubs benefitted, and I feel it was something long overdue. I will look forward to attending next years’ combined Cincinnati-Dayton events.

I agree with all of these comments, and was happy that I opted out. 

10:54?
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 4:31:18 PM

I talked to my mom around 8:00pm and dad and my cousin still had one hole to go. Mom dropped out after 6 or so holes on the 2nd round and I can't say I blame her. That heat mixed with that many holes on a course that tough equals bad news. You throw a late start time into that mix and it could be a dangerous day. What was the reasoning for using 27 holes when 24 would have done well enough? Was it just the fact that the holes were already figured out and you figured people would want to play more? Not bashing by any means, just curious as to why that decision was made. I bet there were a lot of sunburned, dehydrated souls after Saturday was all over! After I heard about the tournament, I am glad this poison ivy on my leg kept me from coming :)
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 7:02:54 PM

I've always been perplexed by the late start times in Cincy- you exclude those that work weekend evenings among other things.
andersab
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 8:36:58 PM

Its been brought up at the club meetings this year and next year you will see a change with the CCS.
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 10:01:39 PM

CCS tee off's used to be at 11 a.m. not so long ago, and you wouldn't believe the complaining we heard when we moved the CCS starts up an hour. I think this may be another indication of the change in dg'ers culture - more people want to start earlier and get out earlier - rather than sleep in on Saturday a.m.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:00:07 AM

Ok, the scores are up online and attached if you like spreadsheet form.

File Attachment(s):
Oxford2008.xls (28kb) downloaded 27 time(s).