Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Assistance needed Options
Liz
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 8:39:31 AM

I received this email:  Please read:

Dear Cincinnati, and the Disc Golf world I am an amputee disc golfer in Dallas , TX and a member of the Amputee Coalition of America.  (See attached article from next month’s IN Motion Magazine) This year the ACA has moved it’s Youth Camp from Georgia to Clarksville, Ohio July 20-24th.      I have been invited to teach the Disc Golf program, and work as a Camp councilor, however the Camp has no baskets.  Their intent was to have an object course (which may already be in place), however I think it would help the program greatly if we were to have some baskets, if only just a couple to aid in putting portion of the game.  I have a couple portable ones that I use locally, but they do not fly well, and with cost per bag, they are simply not practical to bring.   Does your organization have, or is there anyone in your association who has a couple portables that we could borrow for the camp? My organization Discgames.org is donating Camp mini's and some plastic to throw, but can use any disc donations, old or new for the program as well. Last year Innova provided instructor and discs, but I have a limited supply and budget. Need especially 150 Class as kids range from 10-16.   I would also like a "scouting report" on local courses around Clarksville in terms of access. For disabled, in case I get a chance to take advanced players to play an actual course.Please e-mail or call me at 972-238-2810 to discuss details if you can help. I will be flying into Cincinnati Airport Sunday 7-20 and will have a car to arrange for pick-up
P.S. The Dallas Amputee Network stepped in and paid for my Airfare to Cincinnati and back and has asked me to help raise some funds from the “Disc Golf Community” for this great cause. D.A.N. is a 501C Charity. If you would like to make a contribution, no matter how big or small, it’s Tax deductible. Email me for mailing instructions, if interested in helping.  Any Disc Donations can be sent to DiscGames.org…Attn: Randy Mecca 509 Trailridge Drive, Richardson, TX 75081.Thanks for all that you can do.   Randy Mecca  rmecca57@yahoo.com
mikekem
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 6:23:17 PM

Liz, I know the Dayton club has 18 temp baskets they have available for temp coursing. They may be willing to donate the use or at least rent them to this cause.
Liz
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 9:10:40 PM

Thanks Mike, I just posted on their message board.
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 9:40:02 PM

His email address is a bit scrunched above. It is rmecca57@yahoo.com
Discs could be collected at the course challenge, the day before, at Miami Univ.
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:41:16 AM

Thanks Pete, I didn't see that before, just fixed it.
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:24:52 PM

I just got a call from Randy Mecca, who just arrived at the Cincinnati/NKY airport, and he is still looking for someone in the northern Cincy area to lend him some baskets, as mentioned a few posts above. He is teaching disc golf at Camp Joy to a large group of amputee kids this week. His telephone number is 972-953-7368. If someone up north could drop off a basket or two to Randy, he'd be very pleased.

Also, did anyone collect donated discs at the Oxford Course Challenge, yesterday?
BIGBOY
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 9:45:41 AM

Pete, I just saw this post this morning and as far as I know there were no disc collected. I will call Mike Kemner and Dan Hollingshead to see if they can take a basket or two up to Camp Joy.
andersab
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 10:01:08 AM

I took care of this last night. Randy has plenty of discs... and he has three or four baskets. He said that he would call me back if he needed anything else.
Liz
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 4:41:00 PM

Thanks for your help Brad, Dave Marlow should have called him as well and offered 2 more baskets.
andersab
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 8:38:24 PM

Also, its prretty amazing to hear about a 14 year old girl with no arms that is so excited about disc golf that she wants to throw with her feet. We should all be more grateful for the opportunities that we have.
Liz
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 9:13:21 AM

Check it out.... http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/LIFE/807280325/1035&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL   check out the pic of the girl throwing - pretty amazing...