Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Cabin Creek?????? Options
fairmike9
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 3:32:43 PM

I havent been fortunate enough to play cabin creek but I have heard they had some kind of problem so they may not allow disc golf their anymore can some one clear this up for me??
DISCfunctional
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:14:25 PM

Last I heard they MAY let you play thru the weekdays ONLY and if you call ahead and give them 5 bucks. They have had a recent bad experience someone doing damage but are awesome people and would probably let you play. Last time I was there it was growing wild and not a great time. I would love to play it in its manicured form.
NEngle
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:44:35 PM

I will not play there.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 11:09:54 AM

It was an outstanding course at one time.
The 1998 World's final round was held there.
Climo won and jumped in the "Cabin Creek" afterward...
mikekem
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 6:23:43 PM

Last thing I heard was that players were turned away.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:08:21 AM

You have to look at this from the owner's (Erkenbrecher's)  perspective: they have a large piece of land with a course that they have graciously allowed anyone to come and play in the past. That has not worked out so well for them. People have left trash, have damaged property on the course and have not respected the good will of those who allowed us a great course to play. Also, in this day and age, allowing people just to come on your property without knowing them is indeed very dangerous. I have been told that if you contact them with someone who knows them they would allow that person and their friends play, at their discretion and time permitting. The contact person would be responsible for those persons coming with them. You can't just expect to call them and say "we're on our way".  It is not a public course - it is a course on somone's property. I think what we need to do is cultivate a renewed relationship with them if we have some people who would like to play there. Have a club officer contact them and discuss it. Disc golf has grown so much that we're not all "family" any more and there are a lot of people who don't treat the sport or the courses with the same reverance that many of us do. It's just a fact. There is a lot of upkeep to this course and we just take all this for granted. It is a great course. Just some of my thoughts on this if it is something members of the club would like.
STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:10:47 PM

Very well put, Dan.  I would add the reality that the land is now profitably used for paintball (especially on weekends), and the overgrowth on the course is more suitable for that activity than for DG.

But back in the day, it was one of the most enjoyable disc golf experiences in the 'Nati.  Sort of like stepping into the 19th century....