Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Lebanon, OH to add DG course at Harmon Park Options
H8Bogez
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 4:36:10 PM

Does anyone know if GCFDA is helping to design this new DG course?  It is awaiting final approval and financing, but curious if Lebanon is reaching out to this organization for some design help?
DanH
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 6:21:33 PM

No, first thing I have heard, and I live in Lebanon. Where did you get the news?
H8Bogez
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:43:48 AM

Hi Dan, I assume you are the same Dan that Liz copied on my email. Just for everyone else... I first read about it in the Western Star a couple of months ago. I had some time at work this week so I contacted the Parks Dept to get more info and see how the project was going. There was actually supposed to be 2 new courses, one at Harmon and one at Coloniel. The Coloniel course was scrapped. Harmon's course made the final proposal, its needs to pass final approval from the City Council (in November I think) and then the project can start. So I am hoping Spring of 2010... Here is a link to the proposed DG course:

http://www.ci.lebanon.oh.us/pdfs/PARKS/2008%20Parks%20Master%20Plan/Preferred%20Plan%20Maps/PREFHarmonPark%2011x17.pdf

The park to the west of the DG course already exists as well as the baseball field to the east. The idea is the DG course and woods would link the two parks together.
H8Bogez
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:47:33 AM

Here is some more info...basically this was the emails back to me from Scott Brunka of the Lebanon Parks Department. Interesting to note at the end that he thinks the Countryside YMCA is also planning a DG course. I am going there to today for my kid's swim lessons and I will try to confirm.

First reply to my email asking about the project's status.

Scott wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the proposed disc golf courses. The park concept plans you viewed on the website are part of a Park Master Plan process that we have been going through the past 7 months. Based on public feedback we have received on the proposed plans, the final recommendation in the master plan is to have 1 disc golf course at Harmon Park. At this point, it is planned but has not been budgeted for so I am not sure when it will get constructed.

I am also hearing that the Countryside YMCA is considering building a disc golf course so you may want to touch base with them as well. Thanks.

Scott Brunka

H8Bogez
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:48:46 AM

After reading about the project needing final approval I asked when the City Council meets in hopes to go there to support it.

Scott wrote:

Chris,

The tentative schedule is to have City Council adopt the Park Master Plan at their meeting on Tuesday, November 25th. They meet at 7:00 p.m. on the 2nd floor of the City Building (50 S. Broadway Avenue). You are welcome to speak in support of the disc golf course. You might want to check with me in mid-November to make sure we are still on schedule. Thanks.

frizgolf
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:10:31 PM

H8Bogez wrote:
Hi Dan, I assume you are the same Dan that Liz copied on my email. Just for everyone else... I first read about it in the Western Star a couple of months ago. I had some time at work this week so I contacted the Parks Dept to get more info and see how the project was going. There was actually supposed to be 2 new courses, one at Harmon and one at Coloniel. The Coloniel course was scrapped. Harmon's course made the final proposal, its needs to pass final approval from the City Council (in November I think) and then the project can start. So I am hoping Spring of 2010... Here is a link to the proposed DG course: http://www.ci.lebanon.oh.us/pdfs/PAR...rk%2011x17.pdf The park to the west of the DG course already exists as well as the baseball field to the east. The idea is the DG course and woods would link the two parks together.

Bad link.
H8Bogez
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 4:48:09 PM

frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:15:25 AM

Wow. Looks huge.
Keep us posted!
DanH
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 10:43:58 AM

Thanks for the update Chris. Yes, this is the same DanH. I can give some info about the YMCA course. I talked to them about a year ago about disc golf, and everyone seemed to be excited about the idea. All the board members were in a racquetball court putting at my DB5 basket. It was kind of cool. I gave them some approximate numbers for what it would cost a couple months ago, so they can budget for it next year. But the plan really is just for a family friendly 9 hole course. I'll try to make long tees fit in if I can, but don't expect anything too challenging.

I'd be happy to speak at the meeting if it will help. This course would be great for Lebanon.

H8Bogez
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:45:18 PM

The meeting has been rescheduled for the 24th of November. They meet at 7:00 p.m. on the 2nd floor of the City Building (50 S. Broadway Avenue), I plan on attending to support the DG course idea. Below is an email from the Parks department on the plans for designing the course. Basically there are no plans...does anyone have any experience that they could lend the Parks Department when it gets to that point? I would love a well designed course and not just throwing down baskets and calling it a course.

Chris,

The meeting was rescheduled for Monday November 24th at 7:00 due to Thanksgiving. At this point, we have not identified an implementation timeline for the disc golf course so I am not sure if a consultant would be hired. Any advice or help your organization could give the City would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott Brunka

Deputy City Manager

City of Lebanon

p: 513.228.3103

c: 513.505.1379

f: 513.932.2493

sbrunka@lebanonohio.gov
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:06:21 PM

I emailed Scott a couple weeks ago and offered the GCFDA and myself to help in designing the course. His reply indicated that he was receptive to the idea.
H8Bogez
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:03:23 PM

DanH wrote:
I emailed Scott a couple weeks ago and offered the GCFDA and myself to help in designing the course. His reply indicated that he was receptive to the idea.

Good to hear that Scott was open to the idea of help a second time.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:57:05 AM

Brad put together a nice power point for presentation at the Fairfield Township board meeting (Millikin Rd Park) - Dan, can you get ahold of a copy of that? I probably could attend the meeting - anyone else?
H8Bogez
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:59:25 AM

Liz wrote:
I probably could attend the meeting - anyone else?

I plan on attending
DanH
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:40:27 PM

I'll be there. One or more of us could talk during the recognition of visitors stage, but we're not really on the agenda to do a powerpoint presentation or anything. But I do think it would be good to make an appearance and make ourselves heard in favor of the course, so when it comes time for actually budgeting money and planning for it, they know they have support.
H8Bogez
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:20:11 PM

DanH wrote:
I'll be there. One or more of us could talk during the recognition of visitors stage, but we're not really on the agenda to do a powerpoint presentation or anything. But I do think it would be good to make an appearance and make ourselves heard in favor of the course, so when it comes time for actually budgeting money and planning for it, they know they have support.

Not having seen the power point presentation, would it be worth while to email it to Scott Brunka?
H8Bogez
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 10:12:24 AM

A reminder that the Lebanon City Council meeting is tongight. They meet at 7:00 p.m. on the 2nd floor of the City Building (50 S. Broadway Avenue). They will be voting on the approval of the parks upgrade which includes the DG course.
DanH
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 4:37:46 PM

I sent a letter of support to council. Liz sent one on behalf of the GCFDA. But I think I'm going to sit this meeting out since disc golf is probably not going to come up. There is however a monthly Parks & Recreation Board meeting that will probably be a good opportunity for disc golfers to show their support and give some input.

Also, I found some time to walk the land being considered for the course, and it is heavily wooded with lots of brush. It will not be an easy design job, but there's the potential for some really nice wooded holes.
H8Bogez
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:46:26 AM

The Parks Master Plan was approved last night. Now its just a matter of them getting the money and getting the projects started. I am not holding my breath for 2009 though. There was a lot of praise for the Parks Plan. However, in other parts of the meeting there was hints that due to money Lebanon won't be able to accomplish all of the projects they want to in 2009. They did not specify which projects...
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:44:14 PM

Thanks for the news, Chris. Fortunately, disc golf courses are very cheap to put in. I just hope they get started before Spring because I think designing those holes will be impossible once the foliage comes in.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 1:41:41 PM

What is the status of this project? Has it begun and if so any completion date?
H8Bogez
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 1:58:33 PM

mikejenkins1 wrote:
What is the status of this project? Has it begun and if so any completion date?

The parks overhaul project was approved by Lebanon.  According to Scott Brunka the priority for 2009 is to establish a new park (no DG course) at the intersection of Cook Road and Bypass 48.

http://www.ci.lebanon.oh.us/pdfs/PARKS/2008%20Parks%20Master%20Plan/Preferred%20Plan%20Maps/PREFTecumseh%20Trails%20-%20Cook%20Road%20Site%2011x17.pdf

This above mentioned project alone will use up most of the funds that are available right now.  As more funds become available  then the other parks will get their overhauls.  Basically the DG course won't happen this year and who knows if it will happen in 2010.  The city has a budget shortfall when it comes to fixing the streets, so a DG course may be on the back burner.

I wish I could report better news.

On a side note for those in Lebanon...Gulley Park is an above average course that isn't too far away.  I have played it a couple of times this fall and winter with nobody else on the property.  I don't know if it gets busier in the summer, but it is out of the way so I imagine it will never be packed.  Well worth the drive from Lebanon to Gulley.

http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/Courses/Gulley.aspx

mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 1:00:54 PM

Second that motion... It is a great park to play and one of my favorites...