Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

stimulus package includes disc golf course in san antonio? Options
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:13:33 PM

$886,000 for a 36 hole disc golf course?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Economy/story?id=6719023&page=1

any thoughts?

Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:24:12 PM

I would believe it... disc golf is huge in Austin. That was half of the reason I had considered moving down there.
JRott
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:59:32 PM

I would like the stimulous package to get canned.  I love this sport but to put it in this package is a complete waste of money,  I just love it when our government wastes a trillion of our dollars.  This is nothing but an excuse for the liberals to pass all their projects they wanted the last eight years.  This package will not create any jobs and when it comes time to pay it off... well just wait for the line that it is patriotic to pay higer taxes and blaa, blaa, blaa.  I hear Iceland's government went belly up; ours is only a few years behind.  Better buy gold and guns while you can.
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:21:01 PM

Joe...just a friendly reminder - W was the one who proposed and saw to the first 2 stimulous packages being passed...not to get into politics here or anything.
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:32:37 PM

W was the first Tax and Spend Liberal Republican't..yep..I said it. Copper prices keep going up...so better buy your copper jackets now.
nienaber
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:57:53 PM

yeah I don't agree with the stimulus package and the scariest part of all this for me is that the government (local state and federal) has no clue and have been panacking for months

i would like some opinions on where 860,000 dollars for one 36 hole course would go too...doesn't a course cost like 2,000 grand to install?
DanH
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:31:29 AM

You can easily spend 20k on a disc golf course. Baskets alone will cost about 14k for 36 holes. But 860,000? Yeah, that is ridiculous. But if they build it, I bet it will rock!. Hopefully these Mayors have little say in where the money goes.

On the other hand, I'd rather the money be spent on automatically flushing toilets, light bulbs, and 860,000 disc golf courses than invading another country to get it's "WMD" stash.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:13:39 PM

You can't trust everything you hear from the media. I highly doubt those figures are accurate at all
L_Stephens
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:56:23 PM

If the money is for the purchase of private land by the parks...then it isn't too bad...I'm sure the park will be multi-use.
ADM2008
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:17:19 PM

Tax cuts ($275 billion): Payroll tax cuts ($500 for each individual, $1000 for couples), $2500 tax credit for higher education, $7500 non-repayable tax credit for first time home buyers (for houses bought until July 1st

Education investments ($141.6 billion):
$79 billion in state fiscal relief to prevent cutbacks to key services, including $39 billion to local school districts and public colleges and universities distributed through existing state and federal formulas, $15 billion to states as bonus grants as a reward for meeting key performance measures, and $25 billion to states for other high priority needs such as public safety and other critical services, which may include education.
$41 billion to local school districts through Title I ($13 billion), IDEA ($13 billion), a new School Modernization and Repair Program ($14 billion), and the Education Technology program ($1 billion)
$15.6 billion to increase the Pell Grant by $500.
$6 billion for higher education modernization.

Health care investments ($112.1 billion):
$87 billion for a temporary increase in the Medicaid matching rate for the states
$20 billion for health information technology, including electronic medical records to prevent medical mistakes, provide better care to patients and introduce cost-saving efficiencies.
$4.1 billion to provide for preventative care and to evaluate the most effective healthcare treatments.

Welfare/unemployment ($102 billion): $43 billion for unemployment benefits and job training, $39 billion for health insurance and Medicaid, $20 billion for food stamps

Infrastructure investments ($90 billion):
$31 billion to modernize federal and other public infrastructure with investments that lead to long term energy cost savings;
$30 billion for highway construction;
$19 billion for clean water, flood control, and environmental restoration investments;
$10 billion for transit and rail to reduce traffic congestion and gas consumption.

Energy investments ($58 billion):
$32 billion funding for an electric smart grid
$20 billion for renewable energy tax cuts
$6 billion for weatherizing modest-income homes.
ADM2008
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:19:04 PM

Oh, and for all of you steel workers, there is a claus mandating that U.S. steel be used in all construction efforts funded by this bill....of course this is an "Except" list, but it's still a guranteed large piece of pie.
JRott
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 9:10:07 AM

Hey Liz, you are right Bush and the Fed pushed the bank bailouts and the first half of the 700 Billion package last year for banks to start lending.  I was not happy about any of that. Most reports I have seen seem to indicate the banks have not substantially started lending again.  Of course not many people are buying homes now.  I was against all the bank and car bailouts and the first stimulous package.  I just can't see spending our way out of this and it being effective.  Other countries have tried it and it did not work.  Actualy it was tried after the depression and most historians agree it actually lengthend the recovery. 

As for the actual line item for the disc golf course, that it is actually in a pork bill is rediculous (sp?).  If local, county or state budgets have the money in a park budget and that can be used, great, I am all for some monetary help installing a new dg course.  

I did read that the bill that passed the house did have a line for extension of unimployment and more money for unimployment and help to those same people for loosing their medical care.  So some small portion of the bill is usefull, but I fear it is not enough. 
nienaber
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 10:15:34 AM

I agree that the government is going to prolong this by making rash decisions out of fear. Apparently we don't teach enough relevant history in school. I just wish that the media would stop promoting those people who are shady and start reporting on more positive news. The only headlines I ever read any more is about how we are heading to a depression and that everyone is killing each other or a public figure is in a scandal. I am leaning toward the whole "ignorance is happiness" line of thinking since being informed means being miserable.
KevinB
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 10:52:49 AM

For or against, I can only hope that you folks are putting as much passion into your letters or calls you are sending to your government officials, as you are into your posts on a disc golf board.
nienaber
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 12:50:05 PM

hahahahah! Letters to government officials that is funny...

The post on a disc golf board is merely for discussion amongst those with similar likes.

A letter to the government is a waste of time and energy. Consider the thousands of letters people spend sending their opinions to goverment officials. I would be pissed if our elected officials were reading all that crap.

Unless of course that letter has a check to fund their next election campaign then maybe you will get a disc golf course!