Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Approval of a new course in Clermont Co. Options
chief32
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:57:26 AM

The Cinn. Enquirer had an article this am about a new course approved in Clermont Co. I believe it said Jason Combs presented the layout.thumbsup
ccs
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:24:01 AM

I just read this article and I am very happy. I don't think I know Jason Combs but if he needs any help I will be available. I think I'll drive past the park this afternoon and check it out.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:46:40 AM

ahlavac
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:46:51 AM

I hope they decide to expand the course to 18 holes (mentioned in the article as a possibility). 9 holes is such a teaser! Especially if it's all the way out in the Clermont County wilderness :)

If anyone will be contacting Jason Combs, please mention my two cents.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:50:54 PM

ACTUALLY ... I drew up the layout with help from Deimler and Jason Combs ... Thanks for letting us use your rangefinder Fred ... I'll get it back to you real soon. Mainville contacted Jason a couple of days ago thinking they would like to do the same thing so we may swing out this weekend and use the range finder a little bit more. As of now the space we had to use in Milford can really only hold 9 holes .. but we are pushing for another 9 when they see how pimp it will be. I'll try and post the drawing I submitted to them on here.  I'm glad to see folks enthused about this one as we will need some help working out the logistics .. i.e. MANPOWER .. concrete has been donated by a local company but lots of work needs to be done before we get to that point.   Dan H,  who did the tee signs at Gulley .. can you give me the info for them?  Maybe a dollar ammount?
DanH
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:27:44 PM

Kleem, Inc did Gulley's signs. They are the company that the Warren County Park Dept uses for all their stuff, and they wanted the tee signs to have the same style. So I don't have any idea what the cost was since they handled it. All I did was design the signs and email the files.

But if you want to contact them: http://www.kleeminc.com/
13ruce-1337
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 8:27:32 AM

Thanks bro!
PaulDmt
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 11:39:08 PM

Karl Coldewey lived in Miami Township and I think the hope is to dedicate the course in his memory. Paul DeNeu has also talked with Miami Township in the past, I don't recall if this is the same park under consideration from a couple years ago. Glad to see it's coming through.

Link to the park (the parks posted link is broken):
http://miamitwpoh.gov/recreation/parks/community/community.htm
surgediscgolf
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:32:40 AM

Buckwheat Park is one of the four we talked about. We, Cincinnati State, surveyed the Buckwheat Park for Miami Township as a student capstone project years ago... ...maybe 15-20 years ago... ...but I don't remember how deep the property runs into the woods behind the Leming House. Unless there is a significant amount of acreage in that area the course would be wide open and very flat. But, again, I don't recall the depth of the property any more.

Paul,the park that you, my brother and I walked was Paxton Woods. That also was the park that I originally had talked to Ed Humphrey and Jean Schmidt about (when they were both still just "lowly" Miami Township trustees.) To me, that park has the most potential to produce a really fun and challenging course. We surveyed that park as well, and I do know for sure there is a significant amount of rolling, wooden terrain that is undeveloped, except for a walking trail. It would take a lot more clearing to put a course in there, but my brother Jim and I think it's possible to put in an 18 hole course there, 15 holes for sure (hey... who's to say courses need to be 9 or 18 holes?)

I have not been involved with these most recent conversations with Miami Township, but if Dave Duckkworth, the Miami Township Administrator and the trustees are behind putting in a course I guess we should take one wherever it is permitted. If it's our choice I think we should campaign for Paxton Woods, especially if the township is willing to help with a little clearing and grubbing. Honestly, we have a very entertaining layout in mind for that park that might look a bit like a "civilized" Pride Park. I am always available for help on the design and layout if needed, and my brother, who lives about a mile from Buckwheat, would help I'm sure... ...now back to bed.
ccs
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 7:29:22 AM

There is a really nice Clermont County park in Miamiville called Kelly Nature Preserve. The park is mostly wooded with elevation changes. The county has to run sting operations at the park every once in a while so it could use more traffic.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 1:46:14 PM

The problem lies in the name... ..."nature preserve"... ...it can't be used for any other purpose. I checked into this one about 10 years ago, and unless things have changes, it can't be used for active recreation.
ccs
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 9:22:57 PM

There is a lot of "active recreation" going on down there already.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 9:27:20 PM

lmao

Yes there is. I don't take my dogs walking on the trails down there too much anymore. You never know what "active recreation" you might find around the bend. We probably could save a lot of money on the cost of pole holes.... ...did I say that?
ADM2008
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 12:19:35 AM

If we could tap open the nature preserves then let's go big, the cincinnati nature center.....just think how awesome that would be, huge elevation changes, open meadows, water hazers.....dare I say it.....you could put Idlewild to shame out there....it's a dream....but it's a good one!
ccs
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:04:30 PM

Any updates? knockedout
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:35:35 PM

Yes i got a call from jason combs today .. the primary contact for putting the course in .. he requested another copy of basket invoice and course design for miami township folks to work from .. looks like may is going to be the date.
grant
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:03:50 AM

i worked at the nature center at 1 time...they wont put any course's in becuase of damaging trees and such