Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

First Turnover Disc Options
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:02:41 PM

Ok so....

I have been playing consistently for a decent amount of time now.  Lately i have noticed when playing on longer/harder courses my forehand drive (im right handed) just wont cut it on some holes with real long right turns.  I also have this problem with up hill right turn shots.  I have always known manufacturers carry discs that if thrown with the right amount of speed can turn right or turnover for the specific shot i need.  Talking with other players and local dealers i have learned this shot is hard to learn and many discs will fight the player and fade like a normal driver if not thrown correctly.  So what i need is a good disc to start with to learn this shot, or advice on how to learn how to make this shot consitently. 

DIsc examples: Innova roadrunner or sidewinder.
DanH
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:12:47 PM

The roadrunner, sidewinder, and Discraft SS Avenger are all good long turnover drivers.

Another option is to try throwing a less stable disc sidearm, but with more hyzer on it. That way it will still go far, but will turn right a lot too. Either way, those disc recommendations hold.

But if you are just learning turnovers, a slower disc will be better to get the hang of it. A DX Stingray for example will turnover for almost anyone.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:39:11 PM

Easiest : Mid - stratus Driver - Express
chain_shaker
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:31:15 PM

I like my archangel for long anhyzers it doesn't really fade back to the left for me so you could give that a shot.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 9:38:21 AM

I think learning a slower understable disc first (stratus) makes for better form in the long run. The key to throwing a consistent turnover is that your arm stays as close as possible to a normal drive. Most of that turnover angle you want can be had just by arching your back to put your normal throwing motion at a more anhyzer friendly angle.
Brad_H
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 3:46:31 PM

Breaking in a disc always helps it turn over more. Following through low makes a disc fly less stable as well.

Generally, slower discs will hold anhyzer and turnover lines for a longer portion of the disc's flight than faster ones.

I think my comet is real nice for anhyzers and rollers. It's got so much glide that it goes as far as some of my driver throws.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 9:05:08 PM

I had an Archangel donated to me by a friend awhile back, and I have had some success with it. A good specific course and shot example would be number 9 at mason. It seems to me the throw required is a 200+ straight shot with 25-50' anhyzer finish. Is this shot possible with a slow disc?
Brad_H
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 9:46:19 PM

200 or 250 is nothing. Not being able to reach a basket means the throw needs work, not the hole requires a faster or longer disc. The stingray was the fastest most stable disc when it came out. Climo used to throw stingrays nearly 400 feet. That arch will get really squirrley real quick. A few tree hits and it will be a flipping machine. Could work if you can get it to not turn until late in flight. That hole sounds like a backhand roller or forehand opportunity. I don't consider the AA slow. What is it these days, any disc whose speed is not double digits is slow??? To me, slow is mids and putters. I don't even consider the oldschool drivers (like stingrays) that were reclassified as mids to be slow.

The fastest turnover disc there is is a beat up dx beast.  Give one of those a couple months of abuse and you can throw a weak, nose-up sky hyzer and it will still turn over.  They make good discs for girlfriends who don't throw very hard.
mikekem
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 1:51:13 PM

NatiBuckeye wrote:
I had an Archangel donated to me by a friend awhile back, and I have had some success with it. A good specific course and shot example would be number 9 at mason. It seems to me the throw required is a 200+ straight shot with 25-50' anhyzer finish. Is this shot possible with a slow disc?

The throw you are suggesting is pretty tough.  If you want to make some more distance around the turn I'd suggest throwing a right handed forehand.  I haven't been to Mason in many months but as I recall the ceiling is a bit low. The turn over isn't impossible but would be pretty tough to pull off with very much distance around the corner. 
grant
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 2:13:23 PM

hole 9 at mason is a backhand roller for righty's...the only thing is u have to watch that ob path...but the roller is where it is at...my best at that course is -6 with a bogie on hole 9 DOH
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 4:08:33 PM

thank's for the thoughts.