Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Lexington Open XI - April 18-19 Options
nienaber
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 9:54:24 PM

Lyle,

my dad and i were thinking about signing up but it seems you have 100 people already signed up. Is sign up closed and if it is not what will we receive for a players pack (if we would be offered one at all)?

thanks man! I haven't played any of your tournaments before but I have heard good things from baggers Simpson and Stephens!

Matt Nienaber
lylemccoon
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 9:04:57 AM

Matt,

The 100 number was just to enter people into a drawing for a free practice basket.  We will not be capping registration at all (unless we got 360, which would be unbelievable).  So, yes, go ahead and sign up.

As for Player's Packs, all pre-registered amateurs will get the full player's pack.  Simpson and Stephens know what they're talking about.  Lee had to rent a Uhaul last year just to get his winnings back to Cincinnati.

Lyle
nienaber
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 2:10:28 PM

Alright I'm signed up! Looking forward to some more good Kentucky disc golf!
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 4:37:13 PM

I think bagger Simpson is afraid of me... I signed up and that very same day he moved back to AM3. This will probably be one of the last times I will have a shot at playing AM2 so I figure I had better do it while I still can thumbsup
Eric Simpson
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 5:10:39 PM

That was exactly it, Craig. I'm just waiting for you to get above 935 before I attempt to play Intermediate again.

Actually it was the combination of a dismal practice round at Veterans a couple weeks ago, being the lowest rated entrant after at least a dozen had registered, wanting to defend Lee's Rec title from last year to at least keep it in Boone County, and my current Jekyll and Hyde golf game.

Besides, Matt just registered for Rec, so now I must play there.
nienaber
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 5:24:45 PM

I second the jekyll and hyde golf game...anyone interested in meeting somewhere and putting? It doesn't have to be at a course I have a temp basket. I have been doing the putt 360 from FDM and think I've gotten a little better but I want to get the mechanics down! Doesn't make sense to practice wrong right?
I3u6sIe
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 7:55:04 PM

Mmmm...Eric, I'm thinking the Rec title just may end up in Cincy this year. Check the statistics. 2 KY tournys, 2 1st place finishes :) however that was novice, so lets see if i can get on your level this year
L_Stephens
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 10:57:58 PM

If I turn down cash at Ky States in Open....I'm coming back to defend my Rec Title...just kidding...I'm scheduled to work that weekend.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 12:02:41 AM

I'm the last person to talk smack about playing in a division that you are allowed to play in. I say play wherevery you want... just figured I'd give you a little ribbing since the same day I signed up you were moved back. Don't be afraid of me... I can't figure out how to keep the lead once I get it so I'm the least of your worries :)
lylemccoon
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 10:24:57 AM

Thanks to Peter Shive and the Senior Foundation, the Lexington Open was again awarded a Senior Grant this year. What that means is that over and above the minimum of $1,000 cash being added to the non-Open Pro divisions (combined), we will be offering $250 additional added cash to the professional age-protected divisions*.

This is even more incentive for all of you Pro Masters, Grandmasters, Senior Grandmasters, and Legends to come and play this event. You will be sharing a minimum of $1,250 cash added.

Lyle

* There must be at least 2 people in a division in order for the Senior Grant to be used in that division. However, that division, if offered, would still be eligible for the $1,000 cash added from other sponsors.
lylemccoon
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 9:31:00 AM

Pre-Tournament Activities
(for those coming into town early)

Shillito Handicap League

Thursday, April 16, 6 p.m.
Handicap Singles League
$6 per person ($1 off if a BDGA member)
Ace Pool
Cash payout

Veterans Park Random Draw Doubles

Friday, April 17, 2 p.m. Shotgun start
Blind draw for partners
$5 per person
$2 Ace Pool
Front 9: Alternate Shot
Back 9: Best Shot

Veterans Park BYOP Doubles

Friday, April 17, 4-6:30 p.m. Flex Start
Bring your own partner
$5 per person
$2 Ace Pool
Separate A & B Pools
A Pool: Cash Payout
B Pool: Disc Payout
B Pool restricted to Intermediate and below
Best Shot format

Jay "Yeti" Reading Putting Clinic

Friday, April 17, 6 p.m.
Free Putting Clinic with World Champion Putter, Jay Reading
Jay is also a 4-Time PDGA Doubles World Champion
Great for beginners and experienced players
Win free disc golf gear

You can also do your player check-in or register to play at Veterans Park on Friday evening from 4:30 - 7 p.m.

Hope to see you at one of those events.

Lyle
lylemccoon
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 3:26:30 PM

In addition to the sweet Player's Packs and all the cash and merchandise added for all the divisions, there is also the Ace Pool.

The Ace Pool costs $5 to get into and is good for the entire tournament. That gives you 72 chances to hit one, and at least 7 of those holes are under 200 feet.

Last year, 102 people (out of the 141 playing) got into the Ace Pool, making it worth over $500. Only 4 people hit aces, and 1 of them unfortunately wasn't in the Ace Pool. That left our 3 winners with $170 each. Needless to say, their tournaments finished up pretty well, and that was before cashing.

With more people playing this year, the Ace Pool pot should be even higher. Come and see if you can hit one. Sign up today.

Lyle
lylemccoon
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 8:38:54 AM

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of our generous sponsors who have helped us reach over $8,000 in cash and merchandise added:

Nicholasville/Jessamine County Parks & Recreation
Innova
Lexington Parks & Recreation
Holiday Inn Express
St. Joseph Jessamine
Discraft
DGA
Econolodge
Gateway
The Senior Foundation
Phillip Gall's Outdoor & Ski
Jason Thomson
Sprint
Ricky Spaulding
Applebee's
Chain Links Disc Golf
Jeffries Chiropractic
Eric Simpson

Thanks for making this tournament happen!

It's not too late to sponsor the tournament. If you know of a sponsor, just let me know.

Lyle
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:18:53 PM

Lyle,
Has the format been announced yet? We are traveling with 3 AM2s and 1 AM3... will we be on the same courses at the same time? I know AM1s only are supposed to play Veterans twice but have you considered putting AM2 and AM1 there since the advanced turnout seems low? That way all pro divisions would play Riney twice, Advanced and AM2 would play Vets twice, and then AM3 and AM4 would play Shillito twice. Seems like it would be a pretty even mix at that point. Just a thought! I'm so excited to get down there and play!
lylemccoon
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 10:05:04 AM

Otterbein_discgolf wrote:
Lyle, Has the format been announced yet? We are traveling with 3 AM2s and 1 AM3... will we be on the same courses at the same time? I know AM1s only are supposed to play Veterans twice but have you considered putting AM2 and AM1 there since the advanced turnout seems low? That way all pro divisions would play Riney twice, Advanced and AM2 would play Vets twice, and then AM3 and AM4 would play Shillito twice. Seems like it would be a pretty even mix at that point. Just a thought! I'm so excited to get down there and play!

Yes, we have changed up the pools based on pre-registration numbers.  Here are the (still tentative but probable) pools and schedule:

Course Schedule by Division

Professional/Advanced Divisions

Round 1 – Riney B
Round 2 – Veterans
Round 3 – Shillito
Round 4 – Riney B

Intermediate Men/Recreational Men

Round 1 – Veterans
Round 2 – Shillito
Round 3 – Riney B
Round 4 – Veterans

All Other Divisions

Round 1 – Shillito
Round 2 – Riney B
Round 3 – Veterans
Round 4 – Shillito

Lyle

Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 10:43:05 AM

Thats perfect! Veterans is one of my favorite courses to play so luckily we get to play it twice. This weekend is looking better and better every day!
lylemccoon
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 11:09:08 AM

Tournament Schedule

Friday

5-7 p.m. - Player Check-in/Late Registration @ Veterans Park

Saturday

8:00 a.m. – Player Check-in @ Shillito Park Shelter
9:00 a.m. – Player’s Meeting @ Shillito Park Shelter
10:00 a.m. – Round 1 Tee Off
1:00 p.m. – Lunch Break
2:00 p.m. – Round 2 Tee Off

Sunday

8:00 a.m. – Round 3 Tee Off
11:00 a.m. – Lunch Break
12:00 p.m. – Round 4 Tee Off
3:00 p.m. – Pre-Awards Activities @ James Lane Allen (JLA) Elementary School Grounds
– Playoffs for 1st Places (if necessary)
– CTP Basket Throw-off ($1 per throw; 6 for $5)
– Ring of Fire
4:00 p.m. – Awards Ceremony @ JLA Elementary School Gym

(All times listed are approximate. Whenever possible, events will start ahead of schedule.)

Course Schedule by Division (these could possibly change if the numbers get funky)

Professional/Advanced Divisions

Round 1 – Riney B
Round 2 – Veterans
Round 3 – Shillito
Round 4 – Riney B

Intermediate Men/Recreational Men

Round 1 – Veterans
Round 2 – Shillito
Round 3 – Riney B
Round 4 – Veterans

All Other Divisions

Round 1 – Shillito
Round 2 – Riney B
Round 3 – Veterans
Round 4 – Shillito

The course schedule is subject to change, but at this point is highly probable.

Lyle
kmaupin
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 5:41:38 PM

Lyle,

Has the Riney B 18 been officially decided yet? Sorry if I missed it in a previous post.

Thanks,
Kelly
lylemccoon
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:48:58 AM

kmaupin wrote:
Lyle, Has the Riney B 18 been officially decided yet? Sorry if I missed it in a previous post. Thanks, Kelly

Riney B will be: 1-5, 6/7 (tee off from 6's tee pad to 7's basket -- we did this in the Ice Bowl; it worked well), 8-12, (skip 13-17), 18-24.

Hope that made sense.  Basically: no 13-17, and a combined 6 & 7 makes for 18 holes.

Lyle
lylemccoon
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:50:20 AM

Just a reminder that since this year's tournament is a PDGA B Tier event for Intermediate and below, anyone can participate, even if you are not a PDGA member. If you are not a member, you will simply need to pay the $10 non-PDGA fee. This fee also applies to all non-active PDGA members. So if you have not yet renewed your PDGA membership, you will have to pay the $10 fee.

(If you desire to play pro or advanced, you must be an active PDGA member since the Lexington Open is a SuperTour event for those divisions.)

Lyle

lylemccoon
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:34:49 PM

Applebee's in Nicholasville, one of our generous sponsors, is offering all Lexington Open participants 10% off their meals all weekend long. Applebee's is practically across the street from Riney B Park, so stop by sometime while you're in town.

Look for your red, 10% off coupon in your Player's Packs and support our sponsors!

Lyle
lylemccoon
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:59:45 AM

The pre-registration deadline is ending very soon. Tomorrow (Thursday, April 16) is the last day to sign up online. Go to www.pdgasignup.com or www.njcpr.org to pre-register. For all you ams, if you are not pre-registered, you will not receive the $90 Player's Pack.

We will also be taking late registrations on Friday evening from 5-7 p.m., at Veterans Park. You may also call me (859-983-4125) on Friday to register. All calls must be received by 7 p.m.

Lyle
KevinB
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:49:39 AM

Looking for space and shower on Saturday night, if anyone wants to split or has space.
Thinking about getting in the AM3 field and will have car to get others to courses.
Email me at kevinbrashear[at]fuse.net if got or want to.
lylemccoon
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 8:25:06 AM

Today's Schedule (Friday, April 17)

2:00 p.m. – Veterans Park Random Draw Doubles (Shotgun Start)
- Blind draw for partners
- $5 per person
- $2 Ace Pool
- Front 9: Alternate Shot
- Back 9: Best Shot

4:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. – Veterans Park BYOP Doubles (Flex Start)
- Bring your own partner
- $5 per person
- $2 Ace Pool
- Separate A & B Pools: A Pool – Cash Payout; B Pool – Dynamic Disc Payout
- B Pool restricted to Intermediate and below
- Best Shot format

6:00 p.m. – Jay "Yeti" Reading Putting Clinic
- Free Putting Clinic with World Champion Putter, Jay Reading
- Jay is also a 4-Time PDGA Doubles World Champion
- Great for beginners and experienced players
- Win free disc golf gear

There will also be Player Check-in/Late Registration available at Veterans Park from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

Lyle