smthgfshy
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 9:59:51 PM

Indian Riffle Park - Dayton

Conditions - sunny, 10 mph wind, 65 degrees
Tee's - concrete
Baskets - ummm, I forget, but I think they were dga's
Layout - mix of open and tight, mid's and short's, some water
Beverage pairing - Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

This was our second course for the day of our tour d'dayton.  This course felt long, without actually being long.  First holes were very pretty, with a small brook, well spaced mature trees, shady, and lots of kids and playground equipment as alternative targets/obstacles.  At about the 5th hole things got interesting....I think we walked around the lake 3 times before finding out the next hole was about 1/2 mile away - across three parking lots.  ok, 2/5ths of a mile.  after this my beer, due the radiant heat of the cars and concrete and the brown bottle was above optimum drinking temperature.  With my beer warming and my attitude cooling, I was once again disappointed not to be able to ride the water slide that we got 360 degree views of.  Some holes were tighter, others open and slightly longer, none being out of reach with a 450' huck.  Water came into play on 2 holes.  Ducks came into play once. 

Hmmm....I'm not sure what to say.  I'm not a fan of porters, but occasionally, I partake.  I feel I'd do the same for this course as a great alternative to my standbys.  Something different, something to chew on, and maybe overtime it'll grow on me.  I think we were frustrated by the way we couldn't find our way to the next hole, and were looking forward to getting onto our third course.  I kept looking for a hops aroma to hit me upside the head the 8.4% to take hold....but all I tasted were coffee, chocolate, and nutty maltiness that kept my tongue searching for chestnuts and molassass.  Maybe it'll grow on me.  The rough was pretty much not there...basically your straightforward, solid, underrated, and decent beer/course with a no frills attitude...if you can ignore the waterslide and kalidescopic playground equipment. 

Beverage Pairing - any Porter of your choice, although I'm a fan of keeping it local and supporting Ohio beers.  Edmund Fitgerald Porter is just as above...solid, straightforward, worthy of anyone's palate.  There is room to grow, once Porter's grow on you.

Bottom Line - go here