Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Turtlecreek Course Options
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:51:26 PM

Course looks great, tee-Pads are in. Great Job Steve Flint and anybody else who helped!!
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:18:07 PM

I finally got a chance to play Turtlecreek since the tee pads came in.  shocked It is an amazing difference.  This is a course I used to play 3 to 4 times a week (ok, 7 to 8), and it feels like picking up a new car or replacing your computer with the latest and best.  jump It is just so much better and funner. 

Great job, Steve!  Also, Matt and I have been pitching in a little with course work, and the fairways are looking their best ever despite the recent explosion of honeysuckle.

Hope to see a big turnout at the Turtlecreek Open. 

http://www.discgolftour.com/turtlecreek/

chief32
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:50:47 PM

There were 28 new, large, nice trees planted on the front 9 last friday. Elms, Hornbeams, Maples, and Evergreens. Hopefully, native trees will last. Should increase the challenge. Thanks Dan H. for the spotting.
H8Bogez
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:48:41 PM

chief32 wrote:
There were 28 new, large, nice trees planted on the front 9 last friday. Elms, Hornbeams, Maples, and Evergreens. Hopefully, native trees will last. Should increase the challenge. Thanks Dan H. for the spotting.

I read this and went out at my lunch hour to walk the front nine.  Tried throwing a few but too damn windy and cold.  The trees are well placed, they were definitely put in with the DG course in mind.  It will be years before some them become mature and really provide an obstacle.  It would be nice if they created some mandatories around the new trees, that will add an immediate impact to the difficulty of the front 9.

Thumbs up to the Parks Department!

H8Bogez
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:50:28 PM

Also I noticed they are installing a permanent restroom facility. If any ladies avoided this park because of the porta potties that will change shortly.
ccs
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:17:10 PM

Turtle Creek does an excellent job maintaining the disc golf course. All of the wood chips they have put down in the past couple years have helped with moisture and erosion. Turle Creek keeps getting better!
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:17:11 PM

I snapped some pictures of the first 6 holes, and added them to the gallery. There are a couple new trees on #10 and #18 too that I missed. Also #5 has been moved to the new mound. The open holes are definitely more interesting looking now, but H8Bogez is right, it will take a while until those trees are truly a factor.
H8Bogez
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:01:32 AM

I like on #2 how they put 2 trees about 10 feet in front of the basket and 5' left / right. You need to get it through the uprights for an ace.

Some mandatories would make this really interesting. Some suggestions...

#1 - must go right of the new trees that are in the middle of the fairway. This will leave you with about a 30' wide fairway between the new trees and the existing wood lined boundary.

#2 - must go between the two trees in front of the basket

#4 - take your pick...must go left or right of the trees in front of the basket

#10 - once again must go right of the new trees, leaving you a narrow fairway between the new trees and the old woods.
STEVO
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:12:26 AM

Are these trees big enough that they won't get damaged by being whacked with discs?
DanH
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:27:42 AM

Honestly, I don't know Stevo. That's my primary worry. Those hornbeams look pretty tough even though some are small, and the larger ones may be big enough to take a beating. If they don't survive, then the next step may be to plant trees on new fairways out of play. Then when the new trees are big enough, we move the pins/tees to the new fairways. We'll just have to see how it goes.
H8Bogez
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:16:15 AM

STEVO wrote:
Are these trees big enough that they won't get damaged by being whacked with discs?

Where the trees are located I don't see this being a problem.  There is plenty of room to go around them I don't foresee them getting hit that often to affect there growth.

chief32
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 10:29:41 AM

If anyone is looking for some trees, I got them @ Bern's Greenhouse. They still have some left on special. They are $50 a piece. They are 2-4" diameter and some are 20ft. tall. Some had price tags of $249.
chief32
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 9:20:39 PM

FYI, the restrooms were completed and winterized. Also, a message board has been built and will be installed soon.
chief32
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:48:05 PM

Thanks Dan H. for doing some course work today.
chief32
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:31:43 PM

Thanks to the people who pick-up trash. The course wasn't too bad. I wish those that throw down their empty cig. packs would realize that they are helping the anti-smoking movement.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 10:52:55 PM

Course looked great today. Thanks to everyone that was out there this week getting it ready for the tournament. I'd imagine that the scores will be lower than last year with the amount of care being put into the wooded fairways. I remember them being tighter and much less forgiving when you got over in the crap last year. We'll see in a few hours just how well my 45 holes of practice did me out there today....followed by 36 holes of Miami Whitewater.

I may not look great tomorrow...but the course sure does.
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:48:38 PM

hey hole 7 looks like someone tried to take (unless the park is working on it) but it definitly looks like someone or someone's tried to dig it and pull it out. Anyone else notice this?
chief32
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:26:27 AM

Someone did pull the basket on #7 and threw it behind the hill. They also pulled several tee posts.
kmaupin
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:43:14 AM

chief32 wrote:
Someone did pull the basket on #7 and threw it behind the hill. They also pulled several tee posts.

Turtlecreek looked great for the tournament, thanks to everyone that helped make it that way.

It makes no sense to vandalize the course and the fact that this course isn't really next to a neighborhood makes it even more crazy, they have to go out of their way to be stupid.  It is just sad....
nienaber
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 1:03:34 PM

yeah it does make no sense at all...especially if you are just gonna throw it behind a hill? probably just some anti disc golfers mad at how cool we are!