Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Milikin Park Disc Golf Course? Options
ahlavac
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:34:44 AM

Does anyone know if this course is playable? I was thinking about checking it out on my day off tomorrow, but didn't know if baskets were in the ground.

Also, can anyone provide directions?
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:15:25 PM

Baskets are in the ground, but if your not sure how to navigate it, it can be rather dificult course to figure out....
kmaupin
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:02:45 PM

I would agree with Exmoney about the course being tricky but it will slow you down as you look for the next hole. The course won't be officially open till next year and at this point I would not go out there if it has rained at all recently.

chief32
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:33:35 PM

FYI, a guy from Butler Co. Parks contacted about tee signs for Millikin. He had been to Turtlecreek and liked those so, he wanted contact info for the signs.
kmaupin
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:09:14 PM

We (Skylor, Hank and I) spent several hours finalizing teepad placement so that the final stages of this course installation can be completed. The hope is to have an early April grand opening. They are spreading a ton of mulch out there from last year's wind storm so a couple of fairways looked great but others were a mess still.

I would not try to play out there at this time until the fairways all have mulch or the ground is re-frozen as it gets pretty muddy.

I will update as things continue to progress.
H8Bogez
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:36:10 PM

Can an admin add Milikin to the "Courses" map on this website?

Thanks,
Chris

kmaupin
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 3:41:07 PM

I say hold up on that, as they may be naming the park something besides the road it is along, since there is a Millikin park in Hamilton that may get a disc golf course and that would be confusing.
twilmans
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:11:20 PM

Played course today.  They poured tee boxes today, looks great.  Course is a little tore up from concrete trucks, but really like it alot especially since its 2 minutes from homelaugh
Big Biscuit
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:25:55 PM

I really liked the sign placements,off front right 5 feet. I am getting aeropods from Black Jax Sports to custom fit Innova champion disc. These disc are for real! Last September when I was lighting up my temporary baskets, a couple of guys were throwing 450  feet plus. Skylor Miller will announce the grand opening in April,after that there will be no planned curfew. However, if night play becomes a problem (noise) 'for one example, then I imagine we would lose that privilege. (Fairfield Township Community Park) was the third park of the ( Northern Lights) disc golf circuit that I visited today. I started at Hueston Woods and discussed design / layout of holes 6 thru 18 with park manager ,lots of work to do, but this course will be worth it. The best way to discribe it (36 tee/18 basket oasis) between Dayton and Cincinnati. High thick canopy providing lots of shade. Each night the course will be lit. Then it was on to Thompson Park where yet another Night Golf course is being lit. The owners have already requested help forming summer night leagues. By May food and beer will be available. When I arrived at (FTCP) I talked with Steve Fugate about plans for the 36 tees at Hueston Woods Park. He has been hired by the State of Ohio to install all tees /baskets/ and sign post once the fairways have been cleared. See you all at Thompson Park on Saturday night March 21st or any other night thereafter!!!!
Big Biscuit
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:32:22 PM

Sklor Miller is currently calling Milliken Park (Fairfield Township Community Park).I believe that may be its permanant name. Thompson Park will be open for night play Skyor will announce the grand opening soon! Saturday March 21st 1pm till ???. Then everynight thereafter!! Beer and popcorn available in May. Once Hueston woods opens, it will give leverage for sponsors for Millikin Woods in Hamilton. Example people traveling to Hueston woods and or Thompson park sto in at the local merchants and indicate the fact that they are only in that area because of disc golf. Then mention the benefits of sponcering a fairway at Milliken woods just 5 minutes away! I attended a meeting with Robert Harris( parks director) and the park board last October. They had a possitive attitude but no money. I will be asking for any help I can get clearing fairways for hueston woods 36 basket 18 tee course
chain_shaker
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:41:14 PM

Where is FTCP. I've looked on maps but I've never seen it on any of them.
kmaupin
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:04:10 PM

chain_shaker wrote:
Where is FTCP. I've looked on maps but I've never seen it on any of them.

Corner of Millikin road and Morris road behind Fairfield north elementary, parking lot for this park is between Fairfield north and the fire department.

The course will have a grand opening in April and until they finalize the name, it's hard to move ahead promoting it.

Big Biscuit
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:28:37 PM

FTCP is located 500 feet East of Morris Rd.on the south side of Milliken Rd. You can park in the lot on the south side of the fire station. Then its a 500 foot walk straight east. I talked to Skylor and got permission to light up FTCP. I will light the Tees and Baskets at 7:30PM Friday March 20th. You can bring your lit disc or I will have some for sale (Quest Drivers / Midknights Midrange/ Pindragon Putters / as well as Custom Champions. To those of you who played the 8 nights we lit up last year I say welcome back!! To the newbees I say welcome!! Do not forget Saturday March 21st Thompson Park 1pm till late into the night.(BYOB) For more info call 513-858 DISC(3472)
chain_shaker
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:58:57 PM

Is this course open for play yet or not?
J_Trumbull
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:34:31 PM

When Millikin Woods pulls through it'll be great, it's alot of long drives to get to some of the courses around here in our region, especially when you live in Hamilton, but it is perfect for me if Millikin gets installed, three minutes from my house, disc golf everyday.
mikekem
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:46:55 AM

The website still doesn't have this course listed.  Does someone want to write up the info and send it to webadmin@cincinnatidiscgolf.com please.  Use a current course page to see the info that is normally collected.   http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/Courses/AJJolly.aspx  I need directions, location, description, ect.  Try to get as much info as possible. If you have a digital camera and want to grab some pictures even better!  Thanks!
chain_shaker
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 6:42:03 PM

Thompson Park just outside of Hamilton isn't listed either.
ahlavac
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 9:38:57 AM

I've never heard of Thompson Park DGC. Can anyone provide info (directions, # of holes, review, etc.)? Thanks!
kmaupin
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 10:55:15 AM

I made a seperate thread for Thompson Park.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 2:00:13 PM

So, today I played Millikin. Overall, the course is pretty promising. Concrete tees were nice, and the land is pretty well-suited for a course. Continuity was difficult as there were no tee signs, (even temporary ones) just wooden posts? As soon as the signs get on there the course should be much easier to navigate. However, the holes are still a little tight. They're even tighter than the most narrow holes at Monroe; perhaps a little bit of final clearing and/or route-buildinge may be in order seeing as several holes have no playable route. The result is that two players, regardless of skill level, are forced to take the same lay-up approach. There should be probably be warning signs also to the fact that the course's vegetation is mostly poison oak and poison sumac, so be careful. So, despite being in it's earliest stages, this course shows a lot of promise and is generally playable, I'll just have to wait until the routes get a bit more defined and the tee signs get up.
Brad_H
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 10:38:08 PM

Glad someone acknowledged that it is a good course that just isn't quite finished instead of saying, "Man Millikin sucks!"

I've got a flexible schedule right now, so I'm planning on contacting Skylor Miller and seeing if I can come out there and clean up some fairways.