Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

North Calais DGC - North Calias, VT Options
smthgfshy
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 5:27:12 PM

North Calais DGC - North Calias, VT

Conditions - 0-5mph wind, sunny, 40F
Tee's - dirt/gravel/moss, well marked, numbered, benches, 18holes, 4 tee's per hole, par 62
Baskets - homemade metal
Layout - fairly tight, very long to short length, hyzer/anhyzer/straight, some good elevation
Beverage pairing - Vermont Pub and Brewery - Vermont IPA

Course is private, requires permission to play, and involves navigating some confusing backwoods VT roads to get there.  This is a woods course.  Not too tight, but just tight enough.  Length is long (7500+ft for the long tees).  With 4 tee boxes per hole (all colored and signed nicely) there are many options for various skill levels or just switching it up.  Layout is superb.  Holes follow ground contours nicely, minimal distance between holes, clearly marked, etc..  Because this course is hardly played there was no trash and hardly any signs of wear...despite hosting state and other local/regional tourney's for 19 years.  Definitely a championship level course (aka Idelwild). 

Put quite simply this course is one of my favorites.  Of the 10 or so NE courses I've played this one has it all.  It's tightness is just enough to reward gutsy, accurate shots.  Massive D need not apply.  If you can throw 300 and drop it within 15 of your target you'll be OK.  Obviously there is a good mix of short and long hyzer and anhyzer shots but there are gaps and cieling considerations at various distances as well.  I found myself reaching for my teebird, sidewinder, tl, and fl a lot on this course.  I played the whites (second easiest) and found it comparible to harbin park.  The pro tees (golds) looked downright scary and at best demanded and accurate 300 footer to duece the shorter holes.  Because this course is not played very often the fairways were immaculate.  Besides being distinctly defined, a soft carpet-like 30 foot wide swath of moss, pine needles, and fall leaves comprised the limb and stick free fairways that tiger woods would be proud of.  This course and Black Falls (N about 20 miles) comprise the best of the best of Northern VT disc golf. 

As for liquid refreshment at 10am on Monday morning I took from my growler a VT beer.  VT is proud state.  Cheese, maple syrup, and Ben and Jerry's (BJ's laugh )  are what typically define the state.  In the last 3 weeks I've been here the local beer selection is adequate at best.  Magic Hat, Otter Creek, and Rock Art are the 3 big names.  This course being off the map (it's not on PDGA) I wanted a beer that, as well, was off the map.  Vermont Pub and Brewery (VPB) doesn't bottle any of their beer and is not distributed in any other form except the growler.  Mine was full of the Vermont IPA.  Light, crisp, refreshing, and mild best describes this decidedly non-bitter IPA.  'Twas a great match for the white tee's, being quaffable yet affording some kick in the end from the VT grown hops.  The thing is with this course is you can make it what you want.  Play the pro tee's and drink a concoction that demands all your attention or play the novice tee's and imbibe the barleywine.  The VPB has something for each tee. 

Bottom line: play here.