Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Countryside YMCA in Lebanon Options
ahlavac
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 8:51:56 AM

I played the new course at the Countryside YMCA in Lebanon this weekend and really enjoyed it.  (We played the nine holes twice)  The course is a little raw, but I foresee improvement as the YMCA mows the fairways more frequently and players get out there to stomp down paths and eliminate branches and "rough" areas.  The course offers a decent challenge, great scenery, and close proximity to the Mason Sports Park and the Gulley course.  Just google Countryside YMCA in Lebanon for directions and get out there for some fun...

P.S.  It seems like there would be ample room to expand the course to 18, which would really make for a worthwhile trip up to the boonies of Lebanon...
greenhills
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 10:23:54 AM

Do you need to me a YMCA member, or can you just park and play?
ahlavac
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 10:40:07 AM

I don't know the official answer, but we just parked and played. We even asked a YMCA employee for directions to the first tee, and she obliged without asking for membership ID's.

Drive to the back of the parking lot and walk through the fence, behind the main YMCA building and past the restrooms/water fountain. You'll see a green sign that says YMCA Disc Golf Course leading the way to the first tee (black rocks in the earth for the "pro tee", white rocks a little further up for the "beginner's tee").
H8Bogez
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:08:03 AM

There is no signage, so after the first sign welcoming you it will be almost imossible to navigate the course without a map.  Maps are available at the equipment rental desk inside the Y, but you need a member ID to get in.  They also offer loaner discs.

The reason it will be close to impossible until signs go up is the tee boxes are colored rocks that are buried in the ground.  I did notice some baskets have an arrow "burned" into the grass pointing you to the next tee.  I am guessing it will be a couple of weeks before these markings are over grown.  I plan to go back this weekend and put colored tape on the basket, pointing you in the right direction, but it will still be of little help.  About half the tee boxes had small orange contruction flags or sticks impaled into the ground to mark the tee box, but once again how long will they last.

Review...course is awfully short and it was designed to be a beginner course.  Mason, Gulley, or Turtle Creek are much better options.  Watch out for the tree in the middle of the fairway on #4...that thing is going to be a disc eater.  It is a type of pine with dense branches and needles from the ground up.  You have an anhyzer shotfrom the tee that has to come close to the tree, which will gobble up the discs and usually not drop them to the ground.  The tree is 30' feet tall, but the branches are not strong enough to support someone climbing.

I live 2 minutes from the course but I will usually only play with my small kids.  I will drive the extra 10 minutes to Mason.  The only other option is to make up my own tee tee boxes and extend the course.  The baskets are brank new so it would be a shame they don't get used.

Still waiting for Lebanon to put in the 18 hole course they passed this past fall.  I am guessing its 2 or 3 years away until they get funding.  Current monies for Lebanon Parks are going to build a new park across 48 from the Humane Society.

mikejenkins1
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:21:19 PM

So any updates on this course? Can someone get a map and publish it for us or add this to the maps on the site with all the info?
andersab
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:58:43 PM

DanH
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:25:53 PM

I did some trimming there on Tuesday. It's a fun little course. Bring a midrange and putter, and just pretend all the tees are upshots. It's good practice actually. You still want to bring a course map for your first time.
BTBAM
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 7:45:43 AM

What's the status of this course? Still open and good to go? Just trying to get to all the area courses, only have a few left when this one popped on the radar on dgcr.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 3:32:35 PM

Anyone have a course map they can post?
Surprised this course is not listed on the courses page.
kmaupin
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 4:23:54 PM

mikejenkins1 wrote:
Anyone have a course map they can post? Surprised this course is not listed on the courses page.

Ok, maybe read the thread and you will see someone linked the course from www.dgcoursereview.com and on that page there is a course map to download. You will also see that there is concern that this is not a public course since it is on YMCA property. I think that is the main reason they don't advertise it on the course map page.

Hope this information helps, but it is only a short summary of what can be found in the above posts.
DanH
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 6:02:49 PM

They have tee posts now, so you really don't even need a course map to find your way around.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:55:38 PM

We finally played this course late yesterday. Got to YMCA just after 6 PM and the place was a ghost town.
Found some employees inside to ask about, but they were clueless. The gate appeared locked when we first got there. But once inside the building we could see it was not chained. So off we went. Found hole 1, then were clueless (no map in hand). Lots of markers made it confusing, 1, 11, 10,... So we backed out and went back to the main gravel and towards the pond. Then back to 1 again and went down through the woods and found the field with all the other holes. It is not real bad to find tee to tee when unsure but some were harder than others. So what is up with all the markers from 10 and up all over the place? Well we felt like we were miles from people back there. There were only a handfull of cars when we got there and 1 or 2 when done. We worried we would get locked in but the gate was still open when we left around 7:20 pm. Fun course and will play it again.
DanH
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 3:03:14 AM

There are short tees and long tees for each hole.  The short tees are numbered 1-9, and the long 10-18.  A map is still handy if you have never played there.  But the tee posts at least make it a whole lot easier.  The gate next to the building is sometimes locked, sometimes not. 

The secret entrance is in the fence perpendicular to the gate along the end of the parking lot.  It has a pass through to the soccer field.

mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 7:03:20 AM

Yeah we headed for the gate to the fields first. That is the one I thought I had read about. Locked!
So I am guessing the bigger gate by the building is the one that you will just get through.
Not that I recommend it, but the fence by the fields is not very tall............