Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Question about throw-offs for a tie breaker Options
jpaul6
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 12:28:08 PM

Assuming there's a tie for 1st and there is a throw-off for first...If someone aces the throw-off, are they eligible for the ace fund money since the 'regulation' tournament play is over?  Or is it up to the TD?

finnhawc
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 12:40:17 PM

It would be unfair to the rest of the field. TD shouldn't do it, imo.
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 1:35:45 PM

I would guess that it's up to the TD. I kind of agree with Finnigan that it is unfair since the players in the playoff have extra chances at getting an ace.
discndat
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 1:57:18 PM

Yeah, that's an interesting question. I can see both sides. Technically, it still is the tournament, so the people in the playoff just get the extra shots. Not their fault they're so good, even though they weren't good enough to win it outright in regulation!  And hey, to get it in the playoff would be even sweeter. But I can see it the other way also. Guess we'll have to start calling that now before the tourney. All these things a TD has to do!!
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:33:46 AM

OK, I tied for tenth place- now I want to playoff for the points even though I didn't cash. Do yourselves a favor TDs, don't open the can of worms.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:47:30 PM

When regulation is over, it's over. The same reason fantasy stats from postseason play don't count.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:57:58 PM

I see it more as an extra inning game where the stats do count. Regulation isn't over until there is a winner. We're talking about first place, winner, champion here, not just points or 10th place cash. There's already a way to decide that. Like I said, I see both sides.
perica
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:22:52 PM

There are quite a few ways to look at it ... and different flavors of disparity.

Would an ace during the final nine where only the top cards get to play qualify?

Do the ams at the BGO have an unfair advantage at ace fund money due to the fact that they play 12 more holes than the pros?

At the PFDO, pros and ams split their time at two separate courses for the first 3 rounds and then come together for a final round of 18 but rec and intermediate don't get to play due to the field size constraints. Should that round go towards the ace fund?

I'd like to think that it comes down to the TD's discretion, especially since the ace fund isn't something that pdga guidelines really say much about. I know the one situation that irked me the most was at the BID series a few years back, non-Dayton members were eligible for only half of the ace fund whereas members had access to the whole pot were they to hit an ace. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but it was certainly at the TD's discretion.
Jay Dub
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:35:59 PM

If you get an ace in the final 18 after the field has been cut, maybe you could pay that person the money from the people in the ace fund that are still playing and the other players throw off for the remaining money.

Example with easy numbers: Tournament has 50 players with a $1/person ace fund ($50). 10 make it to the final 18 and one gets an ace. That person gets $10 and the other 40 players, not in the final 18, throw off for the remaining $40.

It's an option.
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:50:53 AM

Way to open up that can of worms Jerry!
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:51:46 PM

perica wrote:
There are quite a few ways to look at it ... and different flavors of disparity. Would an ace during the final nine where only the top cards get to play qualify? Do the ams at the BGO have an unfair advantage at ace fund money due to the fact that they play 12 more holes than the pros? At the PFDO, pros and ams split their time at two separate courses for the first 3 rounds and then come together for a final round of 18 but rec and intermediate don't get to play due to the field size constraints. Should that round go towards the ace fund? I'd like to think that it comes down to the TD's discretion, especially since the ace fund isn't something that pdga guidelines really say much about. I know the one situation that irked me the most was at the BID series a few years back, non-Dayton members were eligible for only half of the ace fund whereas members had access to the whole pot were they to hit an ace. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but it was certainly at the TD's discretion.

Yeah that BID thing irked me as well. Seeing as how I was told that AFTER i paid in.
Jay Dub
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:15:38 PM

Dan, I haven't been around enough to know anything about any worms...or their cans.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:50:14 PM

The BID thing, from what I understand, was because they added money to the ace fund from their local weekly events. You had the option to become a member; which, I believe Alman did to take the whole Ace fund.

At Crown Point this past weekend the Adv and Pros had a seperate ace fund because we played different courses. After the tournament a $485 was split(in pro/adv) by two Aces thrown on a throw off hole by all of us.

Hey, I have an idea- TDs, ingnore the players concerns about fairness and reward only the folks that have already won something with extra shots at an ace. Heck, turn it into lottery disc golf. It doesn't matter what score you have, we pick our winner from out of a hat. We believe there are no losers so there can be no winners.
idea
jpaul6
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:27:16 PM

I knew this would be a good topic when I started it but I didn't think it was that big of a can of worms!

Personally, I think it should be done in regulation play. That way everyone who entered has an equal number of chances at the ace...an easy decision to me.
Phil Miller
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:29:43 AM

finnhawc wrote:
The BID thing, from what I understand, was because they added money to the ace fund from their local weekly events.

That's fine but be up front about it. Don't wait until non - members have signed up then tell them they can't hit the whole ace fund. It's not a big deal, I don't get up there that much anyways. 

I know there are things about Cincy tournaments that irk them as well but that's the nature of playing around the country. People do things differently.
perica
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:32:18 AM

speaking of the BID -- anybody going to echo valley this Saturday?
perica
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 2:32:09 PM

Phil Miller wrote:

That's fine but be up front about it. Don't wait until non - members have signed up then tell them they can't hit the whole ace fund. It's not a big deal, I don't get up there that much anyways. 

I know there are things about Cincy tournaments that irk them as well but that's the nature of playing around the country. People do things differently.

On Dayton's site they've got this on page regarding club membership benefits -- at least the BID series no longer has the same rules as a few years ago regarding ace funds.

"Without a club membership you are only eligible for 50% of all weekly league ace funds. If no one hits it, 1/2 of it rolls over to the next BID and the other 1/2 is won from a CTP throw off. B.I.D. Series tournaments are separate and not included. Anyone who gets an Ace in a BID wins the entire Ace."
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 3:58:53 PM

perica wrote:
speaking of the BID -- anybody going to echo valley this Saturday?

Mark do you want to carpool it there? I think I would like to play this one.
perica
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:35:10 AM

Well, I must say.  I'm quite pleased with the current ace fund situation at Dayton ... especially considering I walked away with the hole shabang after the throw-off at Echo Valley! jump

Also, word is that Echo Valley will be becoming a permanent course in the near future.  So look forward to this one, it's a real gem.
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 11:17:55 AM

perica wrote:

On Dayton's site they've got this on page regarding club membership benefits -- at least the BID series no longer has the same rules as a few years ago regarding ace funds.

"Without a club membership you are only eligible for 50% of all weekly league ace funds. If no one hits it, 1/2 of it rolls over to the next BID and the other 1/2 is won from a CTP throw off. B.I.D. Series tournaments are separate and not included. Anyone who gets an Ace in a BID wins the entire Ace."

Yeah that's cool. Congrats on walking away with the money. Now you can buy some fake mustache's and not have to worry about the consequences.