smthgfshy
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 5:06:20 PM

Sycamore Trails Park - Dayton

Conditions - sunny, 10 mph wind, 60 degrees
Tee's - concrete
Baskets - innova chastity belts
Layout - mix of open and very tight, long and short
Beverage pairing - Maibock

This course started out our 3-course meal of Dayton Disc Golf.  Good thing we had Colin's GPS, cuz the directions on the website were off.  After we got there finding hole number one wasn't so bad, but after that it took about 3 hours to play one round....but not all that was finding our way.  So right off, yes, Sycamore isn't well marked as is lacking some tee signs.  However on hole number one the fairway crossed a beautiful creek with large slabs of fossil laden limestone with no bigwheels in sight.  The rough is indeed rough.  Very thick, dense and high honeysuckle line almost every hole.  Some holes are very tight, yet short, and neccesitate surgeon-like precision.  A few a long and open and are reachable with big arms (450+).  Doglegs resemble compound fractures as some fairways almost double back on themselves and basket placements constantly evoked statements of "it's further left" or "it's up that gap" or "keep going..you see it yet?"  I'm sure after this course is played a lot, the layout will become more familiar.  Elevation gain/loss is minimal. 

I'd consider this course close to perfect, but far from my favorite.  Similar to Airy with the old and temporary tree holes, it demands accuracy and rewards a long arm or two.  The rough is rough.  Even is a great goal, and totally doable if you can shoot sub 60 at Airy and can dedicate some time to this course.  If you were to combine this course and Belmont, it would be perfect.  Above all it was fun and offered a variety of long shots, up shots, short drives, long drives, annies and hyzies. 

Best beverage pairing - Rogue Brewery, Dead Guy Ale.  This Maibock (May beer) is perfect for cool to warm spring weather filled with the aroma's of honeysuckle.  Wait till the honeysuckle is fully leafed and spring has sprung, take a long draw and let the aromas and taste fill your pallet.  Get lost in this spring beer.  Just don't lose your disc to the spring honeysuckle. 

ps...if you find a green/yellow Z surge ss, please let me know

Bottom line - go here.
Brad_H
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 12:07:55 AM

Great review,you've got me wanting to go now. I hate honeysuckle though . It makes me sneeze and makes me lose discs.
wamslebm
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 10:28:26 AM

I like the beer pairings for frisbee golf courses. Maybe you could give us some more. Keep it up!
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 9:48:18 AM

if anyone is headin to sycamore trail today, (AT ANY TIME).... Id like to catch a ride. Im meeting my brother dj there to practice for the WBO in the morn so i wont need a ride back. thanks, lawrence 3710664
kenbowski
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:48:35 PM

I hear this is one of the better courses in Dayton. Do anyone agree or have any course that they like better?
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:39:17 AM

It's a fun course. I would definitely try to find a map. It's not real intuitive and there's some back tracking. We played it for fall leagues. It's worth the drive.
perica
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:47:52 AM

Sycamore is pretty fun. I really like the Englewood course too. It's a farther drive than Sycamore, but if you get up there you can hit Clayton while you're at it. That's a decent course as well.
kenbowski
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:34:58 AM

I actually live in Eaton, OH.... so sycamore trails isn't that far away. I have played Englewood, and I really enjoyed that course. I have been wanting to play sycamore, but I have a feeling that with a map, I could still get lost at that course. I've looked at the pics from http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=1891&mode=gal#, and it looks like it could get confusing.
beeler
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:20:05 PM

I would definitely recommend sycamore....I've only played it once and had no problem getting around the course. I was even alone and had no idea where I was going....If you go all the way to the back of the road, you should have no problem with playing the course, but finding the course was the only minor issue
kenbowski
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:59:57 PM

Sweet! thank you. I may have to go out there this Saturday morning then.