Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2011 rule changes Options
NEngle
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 9:43:13 AM

Taken directly from the 2011 PDGA Official Rules of Play:

Summary of Rules Changes

Definitions of the basket and its components have been added to the Glossary so that we no longer have to use the phrase "entrapment section ".

The definition of holing out has been tightened up a bit. A putt that sticks in the side of the tray, or hangs outside the tray from one of the nubs, no longer counts.

The hole has been completed once the disc has come to rest, not when the disc is removed.

The "unplayable lie" rule has been reformulated into an "optional rethrow" rule. It is now clear that penalty strokes are not added if the rethrow option is taken, so that double jeopardy is avoided.

The rules for a lie above ground have been changed to include a lie below ground (in a crevice or below a bridge, for example).

The relief rules have been simplified. You can’t move anything unless it’s in your stance. If something is both in your stance and between your lie and the hole, you can move it. You can always ask people to move themselves or their stuff if they are in your way.

The 5-meter relief rule has been extended to anywhere back along the line of play, and moved to the relief Section .

A director may designate a drop zone to be used for lost disc on a hole.
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 1:52:58 PM

Thanks, Nick.

A very strange thing about the new "wedgie" rule is that a "wedgie' will continue to count if and only if nobody sees it go in. In other words, it counts if it wedges from inside the basket going out. If nobody sees it the player gets the benefit of the doubt and it counts. Why not make all wedgies simply count or not count?

Also, I didn't realize that according to 2010 rules you haven't finished the hole until you pull your own disc out of the basket. So when your buddy blasted that 50 footer into the basket and you pulled it out- your buddy was technically still on the hole- oops.
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 9:47:29 AM

finnhawc wrote:
Thanks, Nick. A very strange thing about the new "wedgie" rule is that a "wedgie' will continue to count if and only if nobody sees it go in. In other words, it counts if it wedges from inside the basket going out. If nobody sees it the player gets the benefit of the doubt and it counts. Why not make all wedgies simply count or not count? Also, I didn't realize that according to 2010 rules you haven't finished the hole until you pull your own disc out of the basket. So when your buddy blasted that 50 footer into the basket and you pulled it out- your buddy was technically still on the hole- oops.

I think  a wedgie from inside out counting is fair. If the disc goes in the basket and ricoche'ts back against the side and sticks it's a made shot. A disc that sticks in the side from the outside in is technically a missed shot. If you're putting and you hit that low 9/10 times it's not going to stick unless you are using a beat up rhynor or SS omega or any of the other really soft putters out there. When it sticks it's a fluke and shouldn't count. I've had it happen for me and I was grateful I saved a stroke, although I knew it was a missed shot.
perica
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 11:45:06 AM

NEngle wrote:

The relief rules have been simplified. You can’t move anything unless it’s in your stance. If something is both in your stance and between your lie and the hole, you can move it. You can always ask people to move themselves or their stuff if they are in your way.

As much as I like this rule change, I think some people will 'abuse' it.  It should however provide some pretty comical stories when somebody tries to move the 30 foot fallen limb that happens to be just behind their disc.

I'm sure there will be some gross misinterpetations too ... just like when the OB line became out instead of in and tons of people thought that touching the OB line at all meant the disc was out.
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:52:57 AM

finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:54:46 AM

perica wrote:

As much as I like this rule change, I think some people will 'abuse' it.  It should however provide some pretty comical stories when somebody tries to move the 30 foot fallen limb that happens to be just behind their disc.

I'm sure there will be some gross misinterpetations too ... just like when the OB line became out instead of in and tons of people thought that touching the OB line at all meant the disc was out.

This just  (re)legalizes stance relief back to  pre-2006 conditions- I love it,  mostly,  for safety reasons. It has been abused before and will be again but, I've seen some nasty ankle turns under the current rule. 'Cheaters never get to choose'jump
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 11:12:29 PM

NEngle wrote:

The "unplayable lie" rule has been reformulated into an "optional rethrow" rule. It is now clear that penalty strokes are not added if the rethrow option is taken, so that double jeopardy is avoided.

I was wondering what "double jeopardy" meant, and checed the pdga forums about it.  If you were stuck over 2 meters up in a tree or went OB, and your subsequent placed lie turned out to be unplayable, you'd have taken 2 penalty strokes.  I've never taken an uplayable lie before, but I have had situations where I would have used the optional rethrow. 

So now, if you know you are going to take a penalty stroke anyways, you can choose between the new lie or your previous lie without any consequences.