Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Highland Hills - Fort Thomas Options
Liz
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 2:18:36 PM

I have a friend who is on the city council of Fort Thomas, I emailed her awhile back  to tell her about the course and the needed improvements, here is an updated response:

"I talked to the recreation and general services at the last council meeting. They aren’t at every meeting, but they were there on Tuesday. The tee boxes are on the list of things that need to be accomplished. Apparently the disc golf course was and eagle scout project some time ago and no one has really kept up with them. Dave, the Rec guy, has been in his position for just over year so he has a lot that he is wanting to work on. They also commented that they are wanting to have better signs and directions for the course.
You can email Dave directly, he said that he would like the input of your group. His email is dbuerger@ftthomas.org"

I sent Dave an email offering our advice/assistance and also inquiring of the possibility of redesigning/expanding the course, I will let you know what his response is, would anyone be willing to help out with this?  I'm thinking someone will need to talk to him about what a decent tee-pad consists of. 
discndat
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 2:29:46 PM

Way to go Liz - I say Liz for President! Oh, she is President. Good work Liz.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 2:38:57 PM

Way to communicate Liz!!!
A 5' by 12' by 4" deep tee pad is decent (approximately .74 yards of concrete).
Some crushed gravel (about 3' deep) provides a solid base.
Some rebar reinforcement is not necessary but is beneficial for durability.
Digging out the area (to mesh in with the topography for mowing) and framing with wood requires a bit of labor too.
I would be willing to be part of a volunteer crew to help install them.
Liz
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 3:43:14 PM

Got a response from Dave, we agreed to wait until late March/early April to get together to discuss the course/improvements, etc.  I will post and ask for representation when we decide to meet.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 10:21:38 AM

If you get a chance take a look at the land at the back of the park and down the hill from hole 8 and 9. That is where I/we originally wanted to put it but didn't have time for the labor involved. It would make for a great addition to what is already there.
perica
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 10:47:36 AM

that would be an awesome area for a back nine. billy goat golf rocks.
frizgolf
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:11:39 PM

Count me in!
I'd love to help out.
eric_brass
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:31:45 AM

bobherb wrote:

A 5' by 12' by 4" deep tee pad is decent (approximately .74 yards of concrete).
Some crushed gravel (about 3' deep) provides a solid base.
Some rebar reinforcement is not necessary but is beneficial for durability.
Digging out the area (to mesh in with the topography for mowing) and framing with wood requires a bit of labor too.
I would be willing to be part of a volunteer crew to help install them.

Liz,
I work summers pouring concrete.  If you need help or someone with a little experience, I would like to help.  As much as I love broken and twisted ankles, or having to throw from the grass,  I would like to see this course updated since it's so close to my house.
And for the small extra cost, rebar will make the pads last much longer.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:54:40 AM

Rebar is a bit excessive, adding fiber mesh to the mix or laying down wire mesh will suffice.
Rebar requires more cutting while wire mesh is cuttable with bolt cutters or large snips.
eric_brass
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:38:01 PM

Rebar isn't too bad, company I work for puts rebar in anything thicker than 4", but either will work. Just need something to reinforce the slab, especially where the pad is on any kind of a slope. (thinking of 7 and 9, especially)
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:56:29 AM

Okay - so I was finally able to schedule a meeting with Dave Buerger, director of Recreation department for Ft Thomas - Thursday, July 10th @ 5:00 (sorry bag taggers), this is somewhat tentative, Dave's out on vacation until next week, he will confirm everything when he comes back.  Here is some heads up information:  (copied from an email from him):

In response to the questions - money has not been allocated in the upcoming 08-09 fiscal year.  We have other needs that are of greater importance at this time.  I will be working on a five-year plan for our next budget submittal next year and things can be worked into that plan.  If you have possible opportunities for grant monies or other outside sources, I would be interested to hear about that.   As to an 18-hole expansion....the park really isn't large enough to hold an 18-hole course.  I would be interested to hear what you have to say on that issue.  Parking is also at a premium in Highland Park as well.

Please let me know if you are interested in coming, I know Mike Boland has said he would be there and offer his expertise on labor, etc.  PM or email me lizshooner@yahoo.com
Liz
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 1:54:37 PM

Here is the confirmation of our appt on 7/10 @ 5:00 from Dave Buerger - let me know if you are planning on coming, thanks

"Thursday July 10th at 5:00 PM at the park is best. If it's nice, we can walk the park. If it is raining, we can sit under a shelter and talk about it. If it's a torrential downpour, let's cancel and re-schedule. I'll be in the office on that day, so call me if there are weather or other issues. Thanks."
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 11:49:51 AM

annouce Friendly reminder for anyone interested, we'll be meeting the Parks director TOMORROW at 5:00 pm at Highland Heights, hope to see a handful of people there!  thanks. 
Evan_2
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:46:01 AM

I play and maintain this course every day. Are they putting in a road from hole three to hole one? anyone know?
wamslebm
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:08:21 PM

I played this course for the first time and I was kinda disappointed. Half of the baskets are broken and I couldn't find the first hole for half an hour. When you get to hole 6 you spend another half an hour looking for seven. And I had to lay up half my shots because of people walking around the park or working on the new tennis courts (not thier fault). Also, the entrance to the park is not clear from Highland Road. This course definitely needs to be redesigned before I will go back.
nkupercussion
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 8:08:32 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, but not to the game. Been playing since I was 13.

In regards to Highland Park's course.
I was part of the original team that installed the course in 2000. My older brother organized it as part of a community service project for school. Then in 2003, I was also part of the reconstruction of the course which included a course layout change and the installation of the teepads and signs.

All the materials and time used to build this course were donated. We worked long and hard to make it happen, but it seems that it has fallen to shambles. We had hoped that a younger generation would take it upon themselves to do as we did, rebuild and bring back the course.

We not so sure thats going to go down though. I would love to bring the course back and get it up and maintained. Being that the city advertises this course on their website as an ammenity for this park, it seems only right that they help foot the bill. Is there anyone out there that knows enough about the workings of city governments or that has a silver tongue that might be able to help me get this project going? If we can find the funds, I can find all the free labor we need to make it happen.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 7:37:11 AM

Highland Hills is currently going thru a redesign for 9 holes...holes 1-3 are being removed for the volleyball court where the old basketball courts were....money has been budgeted for new baskets...money is currently being rounded up for concrete teepads....and the redesign is taking into account a way to flow into the woods for 9 more holes probably next year.

If you have any more questions you can PM me or you can chat with me at any of our weekly events around the city.
DanTheMan
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 4:09:09 PM

I played holes 1-4, Saturday, pretty bad shape. I was behind some folks and couldn't readily see where tee#6 was, got frustrated and left. But it does look like they were working on some new buildings or something there. There is dirt piled around tee #5, so you have to make your own tee.

kenbowski
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 2:30:01 PM

I'm glad you said something about the course conditions. I was thinking about traveling down there to check out that course, but now I know that it's not worth my time.