Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

coming in from out of town Options
Heyttown
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:30:13 PM

And was wondering what were some decent courses to play in the cinci/covington  area?  Looking to play maybe 2 courses on friday and 2 courses on saturday.. Its been a few years but I played some of mt Airy before but didnt get to finish the course but what we did play was nice..  Anybody have a good 4 course trip layed out...?  much appreciated.
Valet
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:21:06 PM

One of your days should consist of Lincoln Ridge (Independence, KY) and Idlewild (Burlington, KY). You can probably play one of these courses a couple times or even hit Boone Woods which is between the 2 courses.
Old Bassman
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:36:04 PM

You should also schedule Mt Airy Forest and the on course Pro Shop as well into your visit.

OB
Heyttown
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:51:24 AM

Thanks for the info on the courses...now the next question would be places to eat,something signature to the area..When our group goes out of town we like to eat at new places, trying to stay away from the chain restaurants like outback,or olive garden... we are kind of looking for the obscure places like you would find on Diners,drive in and dives, or man vs food type of thing. any ideas?
perica
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:56:20 AM

Terry's Turf club was on diners, dives and drive-ins ... or whatever that show is called. It's pretty far away from any of the 'worthy' courses though but the burgers are supposed to be great. I haven't tried it yet.

Camp Washington Chili is not too far from Mt. Airy and is a good local spot - another one near Mt. Airy is called the Comet. It's a hipster bar with really good burritos. They're not open for lunch though.

If you make it up to Oxford to play Miami University's course (which is also very nice), check out bagel & deli.
discndat
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:17:14 AM

Buffalo Bob's is close to Lincoln Ridge/Banklick and Ft. Wright Restaurant is right off 75. Buffalo Bob's is a local disc golf sponsor and Ft. Wright has some awesome double deckers and home cooking.
Lingo1976
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:47:36 PM

Just south of the river on 75 in Covington, KY hit up Main Straus Village.....good beers everywhere but for food I highly suggest Zola's and Cock n' Bull..........who knows you may run into a couple of us that work at The Nati Shop there with a few pints in our hands. If you don't have a Rafferty's in your area I suggest you stop by. In Florence near Idlewild and Boone Woods, you can see it from the highway just north of the exit for the courses. If you go on Fri or Sat I will be slingin drinks behind the bar.
Valet
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:25:29 PM

If in the Independence area, hit Buffao Bobs as discndat said. The wings, in my opinion, are some of the best ever. Xtra hot bbq, well done...can't go wrong. Also, if you need breakfast, hit up The Log Cabin. It's a (go figure) little log cabin where KY 17 and Hands Pike meet. Mom and pop restaurant where you will get lots of good food for a very reasonable price. I'd suggest breakfast there, but they serve all meals around the clock.

That's all I have, but enjoy your trip. I'll be out at Lincoln Ridge tomorrow afternoon. So if you see some guy parking drives and skipping aces, that's not me. I'll be the guy hollering "fore" at you.
rangel
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 8:20:52 AM

Heyttown wrote:
stay away from the chain restaurants like outback,or olive garden

upscale but not a big chain...my vote would be Montgomery Inn Ft. Mitchell.  You will pass it on 75 between Lincoln and Airy.  Best ribs for my money.  Just a bit more expensive that Outback.
Heyttown wrote:
man vs food type of thing

Bard's Burgers in Covington  (actually Latonia) Really good fresh burgers. Fresh-cut fries.  And the Bardzilla...a ten patty cheeseburger.  We saw one during lunch several months ago.  EVERY phone in the place took a picture.  Easiest parking is the parking lot at the five way intersection.
Heyttown
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:12:05 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, we had a late start getting on the road fri so we didnt get to throw any disc..and sat we played idlewild, what a nice course... not sure who takes up the course design and maintenance but kudos to them..usually all of our work up my way on the course falls on the volunteer disc golfers. I loved all the OB's and incorporating the stream with all the bridges and island basket..Thanks for the help and I hope to make it down in the future to play some of the nice courses down there..Thanks again.