Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Smoking Ban - PDGA Worlds Options
schick
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:23:50 PM

Not sure if you all heard, but there is no smoking at the Worlds this year. Seems a bit harsh to me and there are a lot of complaints on the PDGA board. Take this survey and let them know how you feel. In the survey, I only put Am worlds because it is my understanding smoking is illegal in the parks where the pro worlds is being held due to risk of forest fires.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FVPPR5F 

Smoking is banned during competition at the 2011 PDGA Pro and Amateur World Championships. Players will not be permitted to smoke from the start of play until the player’s scorecard is submitted. Smoking of any kind during competition may result in immediate disqualification and further disciplinary action as stated in the PDGA Competition Manual, Section 3.3 Player Misconduct. If you have any questions please contact the PDGA Tour Manager.
Madmike
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 7:56:28 AM

Brad I read somewhere that they are pushing to ban all tobacco products not only smoking, but chewing tobacco as well for the worlds and NT events.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 9:49:42 AM

This is moronic. Really, what is the point? Is it to not offend the non-smokers/dippers? I would bet that most non-smokers are not overly offended given the fact that you play outdoors (provided you don't blow it in their faces). I don't see why anyone would care about spitting tobacco juice.

The only real reason I can see in doing this is to discourage the participation of those who the PDGA deems undesirable and/or detrimental to the image of disc golf. I'm sure they assume (and this is a big assumption) that most of the riff-raff use tobacco-so you get rid of the tobacco-you get rid of the riff-raff. If this is what they want to do, they are clearly delusional.
Phil Miller
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 10:29:27 AM

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure Climo smokes. However, I do agree that a smoking ban is pretty dumb. Anyone know the PGA's stance on this? I know the've accidentally cut the camera to JD while he was smoking and having a diet coke.
perica
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 10:49:05 AM

The PDGA has clarified the rule to ban not only the use of all tobacco products, but also the open possession of tobacco products.  So you can get in trouble just by taking them out of your pocket or bag during a round ... ridiculous.

I'm quite certain the PGA has no policy on tobacco use. Along with seeing JD with a cigarette, I've seen several caddies smoking on TV during rounds.

I understand with pro worlds banning smoking due to state law and the danger of forest fires. The rest seems really over the top though. I think that if anything, the PDGA should try to court Phillip Morris and company as potential sponsors.
Madmike
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 11:02:13 AM

I'm sure the 12x world champ had something to say about the ban. I have heard from a few people that he smokes in between holes, but some say it has something to do with the mainstreaming of the sport and T.V. coverage. I say the P.D.G.A. should pick them up as a sponsor. When in Bowling Green this year they had smoking bans in keriakis because of the walking paths there seems more parks are doing this as well!