Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Kincaid Park DGC - Anchorage, AK Options
smthgfshy
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 4:29:49 PM

Kincaid Park DGC - Anchorage, AK

Conditions: can be VERY windy, brush either thick in summer or openish the rest of the year
Tees: 2 boxes for most holes (am/pro), 10ft long, concrete, signs, distance estimites
Layout: long course, some tight holes most require hitting 20-40 ft gaps 50-200ft down-fairway, good elevation changes, mix of anhyzer/hyzer, beautiful views of cook inlet
Baskets:  innova disc-catcher, 18 holes, all holes have two pin-placements
Beverage:  Glacier Brewhouse Raspberry Wheat

This course reminds me a lot of Idlewild.  It is a long course.  Am tee pars (3s) require an accurate drive to hit 10-20ft gaps 50-200ft away.  Pro tee pars are feasible only on the shortest of holes or with long accurate drives through trees.  Trees scatter every fairway while dense brush lays in wait for errant shots.  This course is laid out marvolously with a great mix of anhyzer and hyzer shots, elevation changes, multiple tee boxes and pin placements, long holes and short holes, and finesse, power, and accuracy shots.  Cook Inlet, Sleeping Lady, and the Tordrillo mountains form a serene backdrop.  This course is often windy and rarely calm, often wet, and contains dangers such as devils club, moose, and bears (griz and black).  VERY thick brush lines every fairway making bright discs and short accurate shots a must.  This is the only pro-caliber course in Anchorage.  For additional challenges, OB could be marked by biking/hiking paths that crisscross the course.  There are no water hazards.

So here is a course that demands your respect.  Humble respect.  No huge power shots or 500ft arms are required.  Taking it easy and getting out alive is the name of the game.  As for my  beverage of choice for Kincaid it would have to be Glacier Brewhouse Raspberry Wheat.  Taking it easy is the name of the game with this beer.  Crisp, light, refreshing, with just enough backbone to let you know it's not a blue moon.  Overt raspberry flavors bounce off your tounge as you watch your disc bounce from tree to tree.  Then you get to pick some real raspberries as you look for your disc in 10ft high alders, willows, cow parsnip, and devils club all while shouting 'HERE GRIZZY, GRIZZY, GRIZZY!!'  Don't worry though, cuz you still have about 7000ft of raspberry wheat drinking fun ahead of you.  Up for more??  Play another round from the other tees.  Like I've said before, don't come to AK just for the disc golf.  However if you find yourself with a day without a rod or gun in your hand, grab a disc and head for Kincaid.  It's AK big and wild and extreme as it comes....and it's the best we've got.

Bottom line:  Play here!!
finnhawc
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:23:20 PM

Devils Club sucks! Send quality spotters out on this course on almost every hole even when you can see the basket. I agree, a great course! Is Winchester lagoon still in?
smthgfshy
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 10:20:30 PM

Yes. But it is overrun with beer drinking high-schoolers who like to break bottles on the teepads. Most "serious" golfers avoid it and deal with the beer drinking unemployed adults who like to break bottles on the teepads at Kincaid instead.

ps. A new course at hilltop ski area just went in. it's over 8000ft with one 1049ft hole. I've yet to play it. I'll report back.