Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Calling the Rules Options
Madmike
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:20:15 AM

Jeff I believe he was bending towards the dope not the cigs on that comment about smoking!
topherb
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:18:50 AM

shex44 wrote:
As a player who has played a lot of casual rounds, and only 3 competitive rounds I will say that it is a good thing to call someone on a foul, but don't be a dick. If someone, like me, is playing Rec let us know what we are doing wrong. It is still a penalty, but also a learning experience. I had a guy call me for a "falling putt" at my first tournament, AJ Jolley last year CCS, 4 times before he told me what I was doing wrong. He would gust yell "penalty." Now I know better, and I don't do it anymore.
 Know the rules before you come to play a tournament! A tournament  is not  for learning!!! 
GStrick
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:43:42 AM

CCS tournaments are definitely for learning, that is why the divisions are broken up druring the first round. PDGA events, on the other hand, are a different story.
shex44
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:30:01 PM

I thought CCS tourneys were made for learning and fun. Did I miss something? When did CCS tourneys become all about the people who have been there before and who cares about people who have not. I love to play disc golf, I do it two or three timed a week, but when I go to these events I feel like someone who went to a party and wasn't invited by the cool kids. I am not saying that it is anyones duty to come around to all the new players and say hi, but the blatant shunning of new players is ridiculous.
greenhills
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:44:20 PM

shex44 wrote:
I thought CCS tourneys were made for learning and fun. Did I miss something? When did CCS tourneys become all about the people who have been there before and who cares about people who have not. I love to play disc golf, I do it two or three timed a week, but when I go to these events I feel like someone who went to a party and wasn't invited by the cool kids. I am not saying that it is anyones duty to come around to all the new players and say hi, but the blatant shunning of new players is ridiculous.

I have never played in one of the organized events, but over the last 15 years I have crossed paths with a lot of "baggers".  Half of them have been very great guys and very helpful and friendly.  The other half seem to think that they are special elite people and have not been very friendly at all.  It is the second group that has kept me from entering into the tournaments.
Madmike
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:47:35 PM

Dont let people get you down about it come and play! The CCS IS!!!!!!!! all about preparation and learning and fun for the road ahead if you end up taking that route. If not it still is a great time and you get to meet new players and hang out with the old ones hell ive been there before some like you and encourage you and others complain and talk down the people that talk down are the ones that hate mostly because up and coming players are taking there spotlight (and money) lol I let this stuff roll off now where compared to before it upset me and i played like crap! the more you play the better you get you cant expect things to happen over night it takes time and when you beat the baggers it makes it that more fun!
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:03:01 PM

shex44 wrote:
I feel like someone who went to a party and wasn't invited by the cool kids. I am not saying that it is anyones duty to come around to all the new players and say hi, but the blatant shunning of new players is ridiculous.

'Blatant shunning' is a bit of a stretch-but I could see how people could feel that way-but I assure you it's not intentional. As someone who's played for a while, I can say that most of us are not cool at all. But most people are naturally drawn to hang out with people they already know. This is our default setting when it comes to social interaction. It's not shunning, it's just staying in the comfort zone...it's also a bit presumptuous (as a vet) to assume that every new player has a burning desire to meet me.

I just mention this because I felt this way when I 1st started playing tourneys. After a while, I realized that there wasn't some elitist group of vets that wanted to ban the n00bs-it was just people I hadn't met/played with yet. Over time you'll get to know people better and find out which people/personalities you jive with-and which you don't.
Jay Dub
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:07:20 PM

Ben Shooner wrote:

'Blatant shunning' is a bit of a stretch-but I could see how people could feel that way-but I assure you it's not intentional. As someone who's played for a while, I can say that most of us are not cool at all. But most people are naturally drawn to hang out with people they already know. This is our default setting when it comes to social interaction. It's not shunning, it's just staying in the comfort zone...it's also a bit presumptuous (as a vet) to assume that every new player has a burning desire to meet me.

I just mention this because I felt this way when I 1st started playing tourneys. After a while, I realized that there wasn't some elitist group of vets that wanted to ban the n00bs-it was just people I hadn't met/played with yet. Over time you'll get to know people better and find out which people/personalities you jive with-and which you don't.

I agree with this. There are a few a holes around discc golf, but the percentage is the same, maybe smaller, than society as a whole. Not playing disc golf tournaments won't keep you away from a holes. On or off the course.

To the point about tournaments not being a learning experience. 
Bull!
That's exactly what it is and if a person is playing in the rec division, even more of a learning experience. Stay away from the people who think other wise.

Playing casual, I have never and will never call anyone on a rule infraction. If some one is intentionally cheating the whole casual round, I'll remember that for future reference, but that's it.
topherb
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:49:09 AM

Ben Shooner wrote:

I agree . It was the same way with me and my friends when we started too.