Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Discraft Nuke Review Options
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:10:26 AM

I got my Nuke from Discraft yesterday and felt compelled to give everyone my impressions:  First of all the Nuke is Discraft's newest wide rimmed high speed driver.  The rim is the widest a disc can legally be.  It is ESP plastic, but  a shinier, more translucent plastic.  It is a special blend because of the complexity of the wide rim.  The disc is rated a 1.6 , To me it flies like a Z Surge, meaning if I throw it flat it will turn just a bit before straightening.  Let me just say right now........beg, borrow, steal.....do what you have to to get this disc in your hands, you will NOT be dissapointed.  I only got to throw it 8-10 times, but I couldn't throw anything else as far, it was easily 30-60 feet further than my Forces, even when I didn't throw it well if went forever.  Many of you might want to know how it compares to the Boss.  I have thrown the boss for comparison sake and the Nuke is by far a more controllable disc that I had no trouble throwing further than.  I have told many people that if even if I could throw the Boss I wouldn't just because it is way too touchy with it's wing angles and even though I haven't  thrown the Nuke in all conditions it doesn't feel touchy at all.  This disc will change your game, it has already changed mine.  I can throw this disc with the same power and same technique, no flex shots, nothing out of control and still get an extra 50 feet.  You want more distance, get a Nuke.

David Cox

cali
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:27:20 AM

I've got a max weight Armageddon black and a 167 yellow on backorder.

Thanks for the review :)
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:28:13 PM

I called Discraft to order some but they only made 1,000 for the Memorial Tournament as a fund raiser. Be ready to pay a pretty penny for them. To me it sounds like the Katana but slower.
It's not the disc.....
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:19:45 PM

yeah Fred only 1000 were made for now. They are going for $20 for the white ones and $25 for the black ones on sportdiscs.com Haven't see a Katana, but it sounds like a Nuke but slower!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:09:23 PM

Discraft said they aren't coming out till spring. Sounds like a challenge Dave. Where do you want to meet to compare. I'll let you throw mine if you let me throw yours. LOL
discndat
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:02:21 PM

We've got them in stock but you better get them while you can - supplies are definitely limited.
L_Stephens
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:31:20 PM

Nuke Review: From The Eyes Of A Noodle Arm

Today I was at Banklick throwing a 170G yellow Nuke and a 174G yellow Nuke...both with The Memorial stamp.  Since I probably have a much closer range and arm type to 80% of you than you do with Dave Cox...maybe my view will be a little more accurate to your game and arm speed.

Conditions:
Temp: 42F
Sunny
Wind SSE 8-10mph
Grass cut low and no moisture on top

Compared discs:

173G First Run Force: Yellow and well seasoned...slightly flippy
174G First Run Force: White and medium seasoned...pretty overstable
174G Surge: Pink....Fresh and stable
174G Crystal AvengerSS: Yellow...Fresh and still neutral
174G Glow Stalker: White...Fresh and dead straight

Field Testing:

Went to Banklick and decided to throw for about an hour.  I decided to throw holes #12 with the wind mostly at my back and #11 with a head wind.  I had to throw to the right of #12 toward #13's basket because #12 is a mere 365' and slightly downhill.  I started with the understable discs first to gauge what line I need to throw the overstable discs on.  Everything seemed only slightly affected by the wind...just a tad of stability added downwind and no noticiable instability added on headwind shots...but #11 is slightly uphill so keep that in mind. 

I got in 25 throws with each discs in field testing.  On average the Nuke was getting 10-15 feet extra distance than my First Run Forces, 30 feet more on average than my AvengerSS and Stalker, and about 20 feet further on average than my Surge.  However, the one thing that was incredibly surprising was that eventhough I still have a tendency to do an occassional nose up release...when I did this...the Nuke gave me 30-40 feet extra on my bad drive....not overall..I'm saying if I mess up and drive a nose up force about 275 feet...if I do the same shot with the Nuke I'm getting an ugly meat hook that still goes 300+ feet.  To me that is a sale right there.  If I can mess up a shot and get 30-40 more feet over messing the same shot up with another disc...I'm taking the Nuke.  As new players and those without big arms...that is a great point.  After saying this...I had a much more consistant release with the Nuke...BUT you may not...because the rim on the Nuke is pretty freaking wide...if you hate wide rimmed discs you will surely hate the Nuke.

Attention Dan Hollingshead:

During a round afterwards I used the disc forehand.  Fresh they are really stable...and they make a great forehand disc.  If you need a long bomb with a forehand..this may be you.  #17 isn't that long..but I generally put a little mustard on a Predator to get it there...and I threw the Nuke WAY too far past the hole.

Stability:

Discraft says this disc is a 1.6.  I'm sure once I get it seasoned in really good it will be a 1.6.  Out of the box it is like a new Destroyer..atleast the yellow ones I have.  They handle off axis torque really well eventhough I read online somewhere that they would get squirrely.  I tried to do the old anny an overstable driver on #6...Neddlys...and get it to flex out straight in the middle of the fairway up the hill....it did go a long way but the 170G Nuke didn't want to be turned over.  It ended up way left.  Maybe after some seasoning I can get it to do that shot but not fresh.  Throw flat with a lot of spin forehand I got some good distance but it never jogged to the left.  It finished hard right.

Skipping:

These discs do like to skip a ways when thrown flat.  At 400' distance I was getting a 40 - 50' skip when thrown backhand on dry grass.  When you take something off of them to try a skip shot  they meat hook pretty hard and the edge will dig in...so a 13 speed driver needs some snap on it to stay flat...I'll stick with the Predator for that range skip shot.

Rating:

First impressions...it's not the end all or the magic disc that will suddenly transform you into the next superstar.  Some people will love it...some will hate it due to being two wide rimmed, too fast, or simply because it is Discraft.  I will have to season these all winter to get them to where I THINK they will be.  If they turn out seasoned like I think they will..they will have a permanent place in my bag...actually they already do....getting an extra 30-40 on a messed up drive is just priceless...but I think they may eventually give me even more distance once they straighten out.  I give it a solid 9 out of 10...it may even be a 9.5 once it is seasoned.

Where to get them:

You don't have to 'Beg, borrow, or steal them'.  Simply be a decent honest man and call Dan Bayless at Disc n Dat.  He has about a dozen in Yellow at weights 170G and 174G and about a dozen in orange at 173G.  I believe he is charging $25 and they are fundraiser discs for The Memorial.  Or you can go on eBay and pay MUCH more when they are available.  Go see Dan today and try one for yourself.  I hope this review from an arm less powerful has helped.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:46:53 PM

What Lee said applys for the Katana except for the bottom part. Either disc is not a miracle disc, just faster discs. The faster the disc the more
 -hit you can get into. This ain't no distance competetion UNLESS,  Dave wants to meet me at #1 at Idlewild sometime and settle this once and for all.
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:00:07 PM

I figured a Nuke and Katana would be highly similar...I'll have to throw them both side by side sometime soon and see what the differences are....probably not much. I'd also like to see...I mean me actually watch someone with a huge arm throw either of these discs....they should go a mile.
2Timer
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 7:24:26 AM

That's cool Fred, but it will have to wait till I have more than one. I do agree with Lee/Eric that even a sawed off throw will get you 20-30 feet further than what you are use to.
maddenj
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 10:12:21 PM

I have tried both the katana and the nuke and i gotta say that my vote goes with the nuke. The nuke is alittle faster and more stable. Both discs are fast, but the nuke is more stable at the end of its flight which gives it more reliability on longer throws.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 9:45:58 AM

SO is it comparable to the Boss Jeff? I know you used the Boss a lot, and was just wondering if it would take its spot in the bag? I dont want to buy another high speed disc unless it really is a farther disc then the boss. did you throw all of them side by side?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:22:37 PM

Well, I had a chance to test the Nuke and the Katana. I am very impressed with the Nuke even though I really didn't throw it as well as I wanted to. It is much more stable than the Katana and I wasn't able to turn it over to get the good s curve throw that I need to get max distance. It really took off and got out there very fast. I was more familiar with the Katana and knew that I had to put a slight hyzer angle on it for it to work. I like the depth of the rim of the Nuke where as the Katana's rim is very shallow. Both are super fast and will add distance to anyone's drive. The Katana may be a little more player friendly because it is less stable especially for the recreational player. I did throw several Boss's and the Katana past the trees in the middle of the fairway on hole #1 at idlewild. It looks like I am losing distance and don't know if it's because I'm getting older or because of injuries or lack of play. Probably all of the above.

I will carry a Katana in my bag but I'm not sure if it will replace my Boss just yet.

I give both discs a thumbs up.

Thanks to Jeff Madden for letting me borrow his Nuke. Jeff it's at the shop if you want to pick it up.
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 4:10:17 PM

I had an oppurtunity to trade a couple of z Flashes for one of the black 174g Nukes and played with it at Banklick yesterday. I have been throwing Destroyers and Boss's alot lately and really like the Boss's.  I was impressed with the speed of the Nuke, and I don't believe it really added any more distance to my drives. It is a fast disc but I don't believe it is all that much faster than my Pro/Star Boss's. Good disc by Discraft though. They have really come on strong with the overstable drivers lately. I really like the Force's and Flicks. I would be careful challending Dave ,Freddy,  he's got a superman discraft shirt with a built in six pack.

Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 4:15:34 PM

Ooops double post. I fail
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:52:00 PM

First Run Production Nukes are in.  Apparently pics are not showing up right now. But you can follow the link. We've got them in-store in weights from 164-174g. Lighter weights are somewhat limited.
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:26:25 PM

Sweet!
Erik
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 3:18:57 PM

I finally got my hands on a memorial nuke for a decent price. Very impressive disc. It definitely will not solve all your problems but it covers a lot of ground quickly.
Sail2010
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:58:52 PM

Discraft has definitely made a believer of me today and I'm normally an Innova guy all the way. While warming up before my game, I was throwing my start wraith and pro katana. Some random guy ran up with a nuke in his hands and was dead set on trading. Mind you, the katana was only 165g so obviously very touchy. I asked to do a practice throw and on examination I saw that the nuke was 175g with only slight wear and tear. Well, first throw and I was in love. My favorite disc is usually a wraith (you have to love that end skip) so I'm familiar with the flight. The Nuke gave me something else. Straight as an arrow and a good 450 something feet, mind you I have minimal experience. A great disc all around and definitely something all you Innova diehards should try.