Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Kentucky State Championships - Singles and Doubles Options
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 2:04:42 AM

perica wrote:

So let's say someone barely makes the mando, actually hitting the inside of one of two sides of the Y.  This results in the disc landing just past the gap tree but on the left side of the creek.  They're OB?  I'm not playing in the tourney but can imagine there'll be some pretty ticked off people if that's the ruling.

Just a heads up, good luck with KY States this year, guys.

Not sure what you're saying here.  Just sounds like a bad shot compounded with bad luck.
I moved the OB to the tree line.  Either way if you end up there you're hurting.
Ky states won't be the same without you, you boycotting or what?
agentdozzer
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 5:23:23 AM

See John I knew it was probally more of safety thing with the road, So now we will be playing this mando in all tournament's. It's cool I dont mean to complain but I have never thrown anything but a anny on that hole and it usaully results in a duece so at first thoughts I had sour grapes.
perica
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 8:58:36 AM

Yeah, definitely would be a lot of bad luck - just wasn't sure if I'd read that right.

I'm not boycotting this year. Heading out to Appalachia for some singles golf. Hope the tourney goes well.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 11:12:25 AM

I will be at Idlewild this afternoon marking OB in case anyone wants to sign up or pay.
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 1:19:26 AM

Updated list of who has signed up:

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/64313
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 2:46:01 PM

DREAM TEAM DESTROYS IDLEWILD

Dave Feldberg and Will Schusterick tore up Idlewild on Saturday. Playing 2 rounds of best shot format they carded 4 eagles and 17 birdies from the long and extreme ob layout on the second round to win by 13 over the second place team. They eagled #8(2 on the par 4), #5, #14, and #18(3's on par 5's). It's easier to put down what they didn't birdie. They didn't birdie #E,(435' open shot along the lake, with a head wind)#9(short par 3), #13, and that's it, they birdied everything else. I wish I could have been there to witness it.
As challenging as we think Idlewild is this proves that the level of skill these traveling pros have shows that you just can't make a course difficult enough to challenge them especially in a best shot doubles format.

Local team of Costa and Cox hung with the "dream team" for the first round carding a 72(18 under par) to to tie Dave and Will. They didn't fare so well in the second round. They must have been in awe watching them tear up the course. I know I would have been.

A highlight for the first round was Will's shot on #2 which is approximately 500 feet with the last 100 feet over water. He threw it over the trees to park it within 10 feet. Quite impressive.
The weather was cool with a brisk breeze coming from the north.
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:27:02 PM

I followed the superpro and cox/costa group from E through 11 and was in awe of some of the shots. Feldberg pinned 4 with a lazer roller that just fell over at the pin. Shusterick's drive on 3 was in the scrub to the right of the skull tree and he through a gentle roc to within 5 feet of the pin. They hit a stupid headwind stall putt on F. Drop-in 3 on 5. Cox told me about the 1st round 3 on 5 - long drive to edge of field and ridiculous anhyzer over field that penetrated the woods and landed 15 ft from basket. They made disc golf look so easy. I was wondering about rating inflation... but now I have a renewed perspective of how good the superpros have become.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 9:56:54 PM

[quote=pcaldwell -  Cox told me about the 1st round 3 on 5 - long drive to edge of field and ridiculous anhyzer over field that penetrated the woods and landed 15 ft from basket. .[/quote]

Can you elaborate on that.  What field on #5?
STEVO
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 7:12:15 AM

Could he mean hole 6?
2Timer
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 8:21:52 AM

Yeah he meant hole 6. Will threw a flip up hyzer shot that landed in ones fairway then threw a huge anhyzer bomb into the trees that got through for a 20 footer. It was worth the price of admission to play with them both rounds. To watch them get a 2 on holes, 2, 8, 11, and 4 was pretty amazing.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 10:25:20 AM

Thats what I thought as well. Looks like I'll have to put the mando back on that hole. I never would have thought someone would try that.
Steveh
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 12:11:07 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:
Thats what I thought as well. Looks like I'll have to put the mando back on that hole. I never would have thought someone would try that.
I don't think anybody would except those two. It was amazing and I have his release and also when the disc comes back into the basket area on video. I could not get the whole shot because of the trees and the video will not do it justice but it still was an amazing shot. I wish I had a helper to stand at the other end to catch some of the shots when they landed but I ended being Dave's caddy so I could only do so much. I will have some of the first round stuff out here real soon which will include some of the better shots by both teams. I then will have the second round out which will be all tee offs(or most anyway) and just about every shot that was taken in round two. My biggest issue was that I found myself looking away from the camcorder screen to watch these amazing shots and I would totally mess it up by keeping my finger on the zoom button. angry It is my first venture at doing video at a DG tournament but so far I am seeing some decent video so hopefully the final product will be half way decent. It will all be in HD so video quality so far looks pretty good but we shall see what it looks like once it is on youtube. I will post it here when I get it finished.

I also want to add Dave and Will were very professional about the way acted on the course. NO real issues and it was a pleasure to walk the course with them and the costa and cox team. 
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 12:25:48 AM

2Timer wrote:
Yeah he meant hole 6. Will threw a flip up hyzer shot that landed in ones fairway then threw a huge anhyzer bomb into the trees that got through for a 20 footer. It was worth the price of admission to play with them both rounds. To watch them get a 2 on holes, 2, 8, 11, and 4 was pretty amazing.

Can you describe the 2 on 8?  was it a putt?  roller or air shot on the drive?
The nice thing about Idlewild is you can still top the super-pros on one hole.  I think Fred and I got them on 13 with our 3... (?)
2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:20:35 AM

Will crushed a drive high and straight that landed 2/3 up the hill on the path that leads to the next hole and Dave hit a knee putt. Funny, they never got better than a 4 on 15, taking a 5 then a 4. The first round we got 5 strokes in 6 holes on 11-17, but it was down hill from there.
Steveh
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:46:39 AM

Here is some of the video I caught of the first round. It turned out ok and I learned a lot. If I would of had my monopod I could have had some steadier shots when I zoomed in but carrying dave feldbergs bag and two camcorders was enough.
youtu.be/EC8jqUjS1GA
2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:16:36 AM

Hey Steve thanks for the video. I guess costa and I getting 5 strokes on 11-17 weren't highlights since you only showed hole 11......LOL
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:18:16 AM

Thanks for posting the video Steveh. It looked like those trees were very friendly to Will on that upshot on #6. But even if he had got knocked down, he probably figured they could still sneak one through for a 4. I'd say that mando is needed there. Did they really not birdie #9? They must have wanted to cry after that.
2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:29:12 AM

I was a little dumbfounded that the mando, which has been there for years was magically taken down, and yes they missed hole 9 both rounds I think.
Steveh
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:47:50 AM

2Timer wrote:
Hey Steve thanks for the video. I guess costa and I getting 5 strokes on 11-17 weren't highlights since you only showed hole 11......LOL
Yea that was my fault. I meant to put 13 in for sure and I think 15 but then got distracted and didn't do it. When I looked at the whole video I realized what I did. Be honest I may go back and add it but man HD is so hard to edit then load to youtube I am not sure if i will or not. Sorry about that.

And yes they par'd hole 9 both rounds.

Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:09:40 PM

2Timer wrote:
I was a little dumbfounded that the mando, which has been there for years was magically taken down, and yes they missed hole 9 both rounds I think.

I took that mando down because it was only penalizing errant shots not  keeping big arms from throwing out to 1's fairway and throwing up over the woods (So I thought).   We haven't seen that since the 1st year of Idlewild in 2000, when the woods were'nt as thick and you could easily throw into #1's fairway.   That is why we put that mando up in the first place.  We wanted to make the players play the course the way it was designed and I thought that enough time has gone by that the opening by the basket has closed up not thinking that these guys can just throw over everything and hope their disc lands close to the basket.

Let's face it, Will's tee shot was lucky to get anywhere near the fairway of 1 from the tee.  Not only do these guys play outrageous they think outrageous.  They are not normal, not to mention they were in the zone.  No doubt.

My apologies to the locals for removing the mando.  I'll put it back asap.

Steveh
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 9:36:05 AM

KY State Doubles-Part 1
KY State Doubles-Part 2

Here is 1 thru 9 including lettered holes. I will have the rest later. I hopefully have the count right but if not it's closelaugh blush Oh yea the red 2 is there because i am not going to spend another 4 hours of downloading to correct it. You should get the idea.!!