Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Ohio Disc Golf Hall of Fame Options
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 8:19:07 PM

I would be interested in having the Ohio Disc Golf Hall of Fame at ":The Nati" pro shop in Cincinnati Ohio.  Maybe later we could set it up so that it would be able to move around the state.  I do beleive Cincinnati was the first place for disc golf in Ohio.  What do you think?
Valet
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 9:40:26 PM

Ok, stupid questions from someone who just doesn't stay up to date and hasn't been involved in dg that long, but what's the protocol for determining such a thing as to where a state's HOF should reside? Can we vote here and make it law? If we do proclaim Cincinnati and The Nati as the first place a disc was ever thrown in Ohio, should we get some sort monument placed near The Nati? I'd suggest an Iwo Jima-like flag raising statue w/ the likeness of Dan B., Adam J. and Fred S. shoving a basket into the ground...just a thought.
Jay Dub
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 8:08:31 AM

Valet wrote:
Ok, stupid questions from someone who just doesn't stay up to date and hasn't been involved in dg that long, but what's the protocol for determining such a thing as to where a state's HOF should reside? Can we vote here and make it law? If we do proclaim Cincinnati and The Nati as the first place a disc was ever thrown in Ohio, should we get some sort monument placed near The Nati? I'd suggest an Iwo Jima-like flag raising statue w/ the likeness of Dan B., Adam J. and Fred S. shoving a basket into the ground...just a thought.

Maybe Fred, Doug Aulick and Midge Erkenbrecker(sp) would be more appropriate. bow

AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:32:31 AM

I would agree with Jay.

I have wanted to pursue a Ohio DG HOF and have thought about it for years. I do know of several states that have this already, such as Indiana, Wisconsin,Minnesota, and Iowa. This would have to be a state wide decision and not something we can solely make decisions about.

Is there anyone interested in taking the reins on this idea and get the ball rolling?
Jay Dub
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:59:10 AM

I started a discussion on DGCR if anyone wants to add comments there.
I quoted posts or parts of posts from this thread there. I hope no one minds.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1190236#post1190236

AdamJ
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 12:20:21 PM

I haven't found any info on any courses that came before Whitewater in 1978, so it looks as though DG did officially start for Ohio right here. Let me know if this isn't entirely true.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 12:37:10 PM

This course claims it was the "first" but list the same year as Whitewater... ....http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1777

I remember playing the original Whitewater course, in particular, throwing an old Whamo-O into a lake that spanned one of the fairways.
DiscHead
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 1:41:03 PM

i remember that hole well Dave...i grew up in harrison, me & my friends used to hit
that place up regularly in the mid 80's. ahh good times !
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 3:11:11 PM

I contacted the Disc Golf Association to see which course was the first one installed in the state, Roscoe Ewing in Medina or Miami Whitewater Forest. Both were installed in 1978. I will post here when they get back to me. I too played Whitewater with frisbees in 1980. It was a nice course.
discndat
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 4:00:22 PM

Was Whitewater a 9-hole or 18? I believe they say Roscoe Ewing was the first 18 holer in Ohio.
STEVO
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 4:09:06 PM

Whitewater was a 9 hole course. The hole across the lake (#8) was 470 ft, half of it across the water, the other half uphill. Not too shabby for the ole' frisbee days.
Jay Dub
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 7:06:57 PM

I played Whitewater in 78 and 79 with high school friends. We all used the Wham-o Frisbee, it was a fun course with a Frisbee.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:13:55 PM

The DGA has no record of which was the first course in Ohio. Called Medina, they didn't know and called Hamilton county and waiting to hear back. Should be interesting to find out.
2Timer
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:43:16 PM

It would be cool to have the HOF right here in cinci. I would think the criteria would be different for the Ohio HOF than for the PDGA HOF itself. I can think of a few people that would be no brainer Ohio HOFers: Brent Hambrick, Paul Jay, Fred Salaz, Dan Bayless, The Jenkins, Brad Schick. I'm sure there are more, but my knowledge of of Ohio disc golf is limited. Put your resumes in now fellas.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:42:49 PM

Not sure but I'm thinking that a requirement for being in the state HOF would be to live in that state. Dan and I would not qualify. I can think of others that would though, including the others mentioned above. I will have to talk to other states to find out how they came up with the first inductee's from there it would be easier. The HOF members vote.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 5:05:31 PM

Just got a call from Hamilton county and was told that Miami whitewater was approved in 1978 but not installed till 1979. He is emailing document and I will forward to Pete for club records. I also heard back from medina and they have no record of when that course went in. Waiting to hear back from Leroy Jenkins and we'll go from there. I have some great stuff that is wanted to be donated to the hof if it happens.