Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

NEW 9 HOLE COURSE GARDNER PARK LOCKLAND OHIO 45215 Options
mikejenkins1
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:24:18 AM

I have a map from past but would like to see it updated with the red and blue markers. Maybe when you post the new map you can make sure it is on there as well. I do agree that playing backwards on the course when someone is playing behind you will cause quite a problem.
Rwolfenden
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 2:42:56 PM

I could see this being an issue "IF" it were a busy day but let's be honest....Have you seen this course packed to where you have to wait? Now I don't have a crystal ball and can't predict the future but at the moment this seems to be a supported idea to make it 18 holes. I'd really like to go back and redesign everything but they're not having it. Would one of you guys want to meet this coming week one night after 5:00 and brainstorm up something else? If so, drop me an email at Robby.wolfenden@drivedominion.com. And to answer your question Mike, we would put together a map similar to the current map out there which provides the RED. Have a good weekend!
amatz
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 4:55:09 PM

Actually, for the 18 holes now I use their red tees for the front and blue tees for the back. (Different only in angles and distance).

Is this how the backside will now look? Curious to how holes 15, 16 & 18 would be (especially 18 since from hole 1 to 9 is mostly parking lot)

10. Using 9's fairway with 8's basket.
11. 8's fairway to 7's basket.
12. 7's fairway to 6's basket.
13. 6's fairway to 5's basket.
14. 5's fairway to 4's basket.
15. From around 4's basket to 3's basket.
16. From 3's tee to 2's basket? (new fairway)
17. 2's fairway to 1's basket?
18. ? to 9's basket?

chiahead024
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 3:53:47 PM

My friend and I get together and play Gardner Park every week (Friday around noon if you ever want to catch us), about 40 rounds total so far. As I stated in my previous post we love the course as a 9 hole course. Appreciate all of the time and effort put into this so we can have a cool place to play over lunch.

That said, we discussed the proposals below today and neither of us support making this an 18 hole course. There is simply not enough land. As I said previously we have played the existing blue tees and found them uncessessary and redundant. Would not bother us if they were removed.  Think the proposals below will just create traffic and flow issues. When we play, we actually just play 9 on the red tees and then cut across the path to #3 and play the last 7 holes again. Think this is the best solution for those wanting to play more than 9 (or they could cut back to the beginning).

Instead of adding more holes, here are our suggestions to improve the course:

1. Better tee surfaces. The original grass was slippery. Now has been replaced by mud. Getting pretty torn up whenever weather is bad. About one slip per round on a tee shot is normal for us. Have started teeing off from the nearest grassy area instead of the true tees. Recognize all this does is tear up more grass.

2. A sign with a map at the start, and a sign between 2 and 3 to indicate the walk. We obviously don't need this but sounds like others do. Map needs to show OB. We have assumed that on or over the road is OB on #1. Any other OB areas? 

3. There is a really nasty hole on #2 about 20 yards before the basket (groundhogs?). Have jammed sticks into it but it could be a broken ankle for someone

4. A trash can near the bench by the path on #6 fairway to discourage littering.

5. Measure the distances and post them on the map and on the posts at each hole. 

Since we play this course so much we would be happy to volunteer to assist with some of the improvements if needed. Once again, appreciate the effort that has gone into building and maintaining this course. Thanks!

mikejenkins1
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:45:57 AM

I agree with chiahead024's comments.

1. The tees are becoming quite worn down and there are not really an area for each that is stable.
2. I think a full course map on 1 would be nice but yes the sign that was posted and removed from 2 to 3 does need to
return and stay for first timers.
3. I think I know the hole and have seen or almost been in it. Ground there is kinda rough in general.
4. It would be nice to have trash cans along the way on the path for both golfers and walkers.
5. The signage at each hole would be very nice with distances and a guide to show basket and blue/red marker \
locations.

Also I agree with others about the pseudo 18 holes. Not sure there is a course out there I would play 9 and turn around and play backwards for 9 more. Usually courses have more than one group on it and that would be chaos. So as for 18 here, not a big deal and as others have said just take another lap.
Rwolfenden
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 2:36:22 PM

Rwolfenden
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 2:37:01 PM

help Understood where you're coming from 100%. The ideas that you and Chiahead would like to see would need to be addressed at Lockland's Park & Recreation meeting which I'm not sure when they host those. The Decision Makers are part of this board and if enough of us showed up w/ proposed plan I don't see how/why they wouldn't want to move this further.
chiahead024
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:13:59 PM

Here is what I found on their website:

Lockland Parks and Recreation Booster Club

The Parks and Recreation Booster Club meetings are held the first Monday of every month at 7:30 PM in the Recreation Hall. There are many more upcoming events and the Club is always looking for new ideas and volunteers to help. For more information, please contact Sally Baker at 681-1873 or Ron Johnson at 260-6235.

Not sure if I can attend as I am not a Lockland resident?
Jowsepi
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:52:26 PM

I think there is room to get 9 more holes in at Gardner. If you use the trail to Jonte Park, then loop it back around to bucket #6 I am positive you can get 9 more holes. You will loose the longest hole on the course, but I think it is worth it for the extra holes. As far as tee pads, I think that will be up to the DG community to fund it if they want to see them. Also a set of stairs to the top of #3 and a set of stairs down on #4 would be nice too. I became addicted to the sport when I began playing at the end of March. I live right around the corner from the park and I am willing to volunteer time to help make it happen. It would be a great place to have an amateur recreation tournament if that happened. There is plenty of parking. If we could get ahold of some temporary baskets, we could map out 9 urban holes to run a tournament to raise money for the additions.