Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Windy Conditions Options
alex.e
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 6:41:10 PM

Just trying to get some opinions. Looking to make some additions to my bag for when its really windy and I wanted to see what the general consensus is on the best options. Is a more overstable disc or a heavier disc better for the wind? i.e. throw a buzzz mid range normal conditions and a wasp for windy or throw a 170 buzzz for normal and 180 buzzz for windy? I understand the advantages of both and reasons why to throw them, just wanted some personal opinions.
sisyphus
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 6:54:44 PM

Hi Alex,
Not much in the way of experience here (watch for a more veteran response & go with that!), but Yes, and Yes. Overstable discs (more resistance to high speed turn, or a lower number for the third of the four Innova flight rating numbers, and higher low speed fade: the last of the four) do hold better lines INTO the wind. ...and heavier discs in the same mold do better than lighter ones.
I have begun to think of wind and disc speed like I do elevation and distance, as a plus or minus factor. I read somewhere that 10 feet of rise is somewhat like 30 more feet of run in distance. I would think that the flight ratings for a speed 5 disc lose their accuracy when released with different velocities, OR with major head- or tailwinds. I don't know the specifics though. Wonder if anyone has a cool link for this?
--Jeff A.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 7:46:53 PM

though i am not pro by any means i can tell you that into head winds overstable discs will fly straighter and understable discs will anyhyzer more and from what ive seen from my buddies the regular discraft nuke is a very good windy day disc if you have the arm to throw it