Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Course Cleanup Challenge! Options
sisyphus
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:41:54 PM

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}

Gentlemen, It Is ON!

The Course Cleanup Challenge, sponsored by Anderson Chiropractic and Massage:

Adam Jones needs our help to get the Osage Grove Disc Golf Course (at Kathryn Stagge-Marr Park in Goshen) ready for competition by August. He’s put in hundreds and hundreds of hours out there.

Here’s how YOU can help.

Make the work into PLAY.

Between now and July 31st, play each hole for a real score. Until the baskets are in place, you’ll need to bring a portable and put it as close as possible to the intended location. Tee boxes are in; fairways are, well, fairly obvious; and the ‘greens’ are usually pretty clear, or have a marker set up.

Here’s the catch, for each hole, you set up the temp basket and then spend a minimum of 15 minutes clearing debris from the fairway (anything you wouldn’t want to hit if it was YOUR lawnmower). Once you’ve put that time in, tee off! Then clear a 10’ radius around where you landed. The greens ought to become pretty spotless, pretty quick!

You’ll record your disc golf score and a second ‘cleanup’ score. The cleanup score would be a Bogey 4 (boo!) if you didn’t put in 15 minutes, a Par 3 for doing so, and you can earn a Birdie 2 (yay!) for really helping out, and spending 30 minutes on that hole. Clearly, it’s not intended that you play 18 holes in one go, unless you’re really young, energetic, and have the time.

Once you’ve played each of the 18 holes, post your score on this thread, so folks can shoot for the Cleanup Course record (feel free to PM me (Sisyphus – Jeff Armstrong), as well, and I’ll try to keep a more formal record, too). Play as often as you like. We’ll need to do this on the basis of an honor system, but going out in groups could be real fun, too. The best score by the end of July wins a free initial exam, 2 x-rays and a half hour massage at:

Anderson Chiropractic and Massage (located at 4044 McLean in Cherry Grove, phone 752-5390, www.andersonchiroandmassage.biz).  Dr. Holly Anderson is not only a Doctor of Chiropractic but also a Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician which means that she has additional experience and licensure dealing with extremities (elbows, wrists, shoulders, knees and ankles) and other possible sports injuries.

So let’s get it going, folks!

Example: I only had time to play five holes this morning (1-4 & 16), and shot 2 strokes over par, but spent 15 minutes tidying each hole. So, at this point, I’ve got a first line of  4,3,3,3,4=17, and a second line of 3,3,3,3,3=15, for a total after 5 holes of 32 (Par for 18 would obviously be 108). I KNOW there are folks out there dying to lower that mark by at least five, right? It’s NOT a race, but I wonder who will be the first to post a full 18 hole score…? And if you find a spotless fairway, you can count time on others, or check in with Adam for any tasks he needs done next. We’ll have this thing ready for the CCS!

sisyphus
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 2:39:39 PM

Course Cleanup Challenge update (and reminder)

Well folks, I should have mentioned this before, but please feel free to post any progress updates here. Any time you post a score for the challenge, go ahead and let us know on this thread. Adam likes to keep track of the total hours spent working on Osage Grove (Goshen).

Example: I was out this morning (I work the school year calendar, so can go out some on weekdays in the summer), and worked a little on 5, 6, 9, 17 & 18. It’s easiest to move a basket to the nearest pin position, not just go around in order. I worked enthusiastically for a half hour before shooting for 18, so my cleanup score there was a birdie. But, being an out-of shape desk jockey, fatigue set in by my fifth hole of the day (#6). It felt like more than fifteen minutes, but was only nine, so I took a bogey on my cleanup score there.
BTW, I’m setting my portable basket pretty much in the long positions, because I’m not certain of the intended location, so I go to the end of the cleared fairway.
I hope this grid formats correctly (or at least close). It's my current progress.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | out | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | in | total |
playing | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | x | x | 3 | 22 | x | x | x | x | x | x | 4 | 3 | 5 | 12 | 34 |
cleaning| 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 4 | x | x | 3 | 21 | x | x | x | x | x | x | 3 | 3 | 2 | 8 | 29 |
current total 63

ps: hey, Adam: where is the intended path from #4 pin position to #5 tee? You can see them, but I couldn’t spot a trail blazed between ‘em yet. Otherwise, things seem to flow really nicely!
Pps: hey guys, if you haven’t seen it, this is going to be a really sweet course. C’mon out and take the challenge! Remember, there’s a professional therapeutic massage awaiting the winner!
sisyphus
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:40:57 AM

First round posted!

It was so beautiful and cool out yesterday, I was able to complete the first entry in the Course Cleanup Challenge, spending a total of about eight hours out there over three days. So if you only have a couple of hours after work one day a week, you can get an entry in, too! It was really satisfying to remove entire felled trees from a couple of fairways. I’m sure some of the ‘felling’ must make the chainsaw wielders feel like Tim the Toolman Taylor!

Anyway, I shot a couple of birdies, six bogies and a double (ugh!) for a play score of 60, but spent 15 minutes or more on 13 fairways, 30 minutes or more on 3, and failed to get in a full 15 minutes twice, for a cleanup score of 53. The combined total of 113 is an easily beatable benchmark, so…who wants that prize?

Please post any partial scores as you go, and let’s see who’s playing!
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:56:15 AM

Path from 4 to 5 is getting started, will have it more defined this coming weekend and the trail from 8 to 9. Path from 7 to 8 needs work also, not the big gap that is there now, that was just for moving debris and stuff. Keep up the great work bud, and I will try to have most of the pins marked with that 1" pvc pipe we where using.
sisyphus
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:30:17 PM

Hey Adam, I was out at Osage Grove (Goshen) this morning (on 3, 4, & 5) doing a few more steps in my second round of the cleanup challenge (c'mon folks, who's up for it? my scores are terrible, and easy to beat!), and of course had another brainstorm (or maybe it was just a light shower?).
Does anyone have contact with the Goshen football coach or athletic director? I know some courses get help from boy scout troops and sports teams. I have a 'letter' requesting their involvement, if you're interested!
--Jeff A.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 12:37:48 PM

I have not but that is because I am leaving that to the Park Board and other locals to the area, They should have already or will be contacting those in charge and I will let you know more details the next time I see or talk with the Goshen guys, thanks Jeff and please Email me your letter when ya get a chance.

With our CCS at Rapid Run Saturday we will be out at Goshen on Sunday, early start around 7-8am., and then again on Monday. I will be focusing on clearing the remaining paths from hole to hole and sorting and setting timber for tee posts while others continue clearing and mowing fairways and removing nasty briars and stuff from the rough.

Next weekend I will be competing in the BHMO in Columbus so Andrew and others will be out there working. details will be posted later.
sisyphus
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 9:33:48 PM

Today, Adam wrote: "We have decided to swap venues for the next 2 CCS events, Next month will be AJ Jolly on the 25th(as long as the date is ok with the Parks), and Goshen's CCS will then be on September 29th. It's the right choice to make to allow us to prepare the course for play, also allow players to see it way before the event. Keep an eye out for posting of Parks approvals and final go soon.

We will hold a special grand opening for all those that have been involved in helping construct the course, so here is your chance to pitch in and help us push through to the finish and get the rare opportunity and privilege of being the first players to play the course."

That means a huge extension for the Course Cleanup Challenge!
New cutoff will be Saturday the 22nd of September (so the club can confirm the course readiness before their Sep. meeting)
So get on out there, pitch in a little, and put up the best combination throwing and cleaning scores (see above) for the massage and the first visit with Dr. Holly Anderson. She is (IMHO) the best at keeping an old guy like me aligned and rehabbed when I tweak a knee, or the other ailments we old guys get.
C'mon folks, I'm going to post several scores between now and then, but should be an easy one to beat!
--Jeff A.
sisyphus
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:52:38 PM

Hi all, just an update: I know it's a challenge to squeeze in time to visit this new course, and to find time to volunteer. I stopped in for just an hour this evening, and ran into four others who were helping out, so THANK YOU ALL.
I encourage you if you've volunteered, to estimate your time spent on any given hole, and throw out a score for the Cleanup Challenge (several of you have earned birdies for each hole!). I'd really like someone deserving and interested to win that half hour massage...
I'm not out there all that often, but am able to work/play on two or three holes in an hour, and still have time to get a round in on my way home. Got ten holes into my second entry, but I don't want to be the only one! My score this time is even easier to beat because I wasn't sure where all the pin positions were the first time, and guessed (speaking of which: I only estimated the 11th tee...I haven't actually spotted it yet!) ...and Adam, now that the crops are so high (on 3, 4, 13, and 16), will there be spotters for us noodle arms at the CCS? My first play-through, there were only sprouts!
Folks, this course looks better (and tougher) each time I go out and get a better feel for it. It's gonna be a gem!
brutalbrutus
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 12:55:33 PM

i think im gonna go out thursday late afternoon if anyone wants to join me
sisyphus
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 1:44:07 PM

OK folks, just wanted to give an update on the Course Cleanup Challenge(feel free to look at the earlier posts in this thread to see what you need to do to qualify...you can certainly beat my scores): with only a few days to go now until the tournament, I want to remind you all of the offer one more time. Spend 15 minutes grooming the fairway of each hole (for a cleanup score of a par 3, or put in a half an hour for a birdie). Then throw for the pin position for a course score. Add it all up. Best combined score wins!

I've only been able to finish my suggested task twice now, getting out there for a total of about a dozen hours this summer. My second set of scores wasn't even as good as the first (67+55=122). I played long pin positions, and had to post a bogie and an alternate hole score for 13 (I didn't want to donate a disc to the soybean field).

If you've been working out there all along (you know who you are), I figure it would be fair to post a course score even after the baskets go in and honestly appraise your efforts on the course work you've done. A few folks have definitely earned a cleanup birdie on each and every hole, and I'm definitely cool with them claiming the prize!!!

Please post here before the 29th!