Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Oxford Course Options
edge
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 9:59:38 AM

Hey, we were thinking of driving up to Miami U to play the Oxford course. It has been 5 years since I was up there, how is the current course? Are the holes and teepads marked well? Does this course ever get very crowded?

Any feedback is appreciated

thanks
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:56:57 AM

It is marked fairly well-after 2 cross the street and hang a slight right to find 3. You need to make your own tee for hole seven as there is construction on the old tee. After six go up the path on the side of the fairway- around the left side of the building past the tall pines. They set up a straght shot for the CCS that is better than nothing. Have fun-not crowded this time of year from what I hear. When in doubt find a local.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:38:55 AM

Take a map with you. If you've never played there, you'd have a hard time without one.
cyrusf1
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 1:52:23 PM

A large tree has come down right in front of the 8th tee ( pond hole ). I would expect M.U. to clear it soon, as it is also blocking the sidewalk. Just a heads up
mikekem
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:04:50 PM

Adam and I played Ox today and I have some things to report. There weren't any trees in the way but the bridge/road next to Swan Lake was being demolished. This hole probably won't be possible by the time of the CCS. The construction site also had fence up around the road and pretty much around the basket to 11. The fence came close to the basket on 8 but the hole was still playable. The usual temp hole that plays away from the Swan Lake platform may be possible if they aren't doing construction that day.
T_Vincent
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 12:38:41 PM

I was also there Sun. You can still go through the woods from 9 to 10. It may be easier to go this way.
deejay
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 1:22:26 PM

Has anyone played this since the construction blocking the basket to hole 11? A few of us are planning a trip up tomorrow to play this, and wondered if hole 11 was still blocked.
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 1:43:54 PM

Hole 11 wasn't really blocked during the CCS, we just chose not to play it... As long as you control the drive that is ;-)
kenbowski
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:03:41 AM

I've been wanting to play this course. I've been told by quite a few people to go with someone who has already played it when I go my first time. The trouble is for the past 3 months, there has been scheduling conflicts with all of my friends that have already played it. I'm wanting to play Saturday morning around 8-9 while my wife is working. Does anyone know of anybody that may be up there playing around that time, or anybody that plays that course often enough that I could meet up with?
cyrusf1
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:38:11 PM

I live in nearby Hamilton, but Saturday morning is when I watch my cartoons, so here is a link to the course map which is essential if playing the first time:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/525/6f0e0403.jpg

There is no visitor parking during the school year, so if you park across the street from hole 1, or next to hole 2, (where most people park) you will likely get a ticket from Miami University.  Don't worry if your not a student, or affiliated with the University, you do not have to pay.  Plus, they give you a warning the first time.

On hole 7, there is no sign or teepad.  However there is an unmistakable dirt tee area that has been worn in the grass left of the sidewalk

On hole 8, before you attempt the dogleg right on your 2nd or 3rd shot, take a second to look at the green, and note that it slopes left to the nearby pond.

If you have time, make sure to check out the brand new course at Houston Woods.    18 wooded holes all in the shade.  There are short and long tees, (A and B) which make for a unique experience from each set.
kenbowski
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:44:44 PM

cyrusf1 wrote:

If you have time, make sure to check out the brand new course at Houston Woods.    18 wooded holes all in the shade.  There are short and long tees, (A and B) which make for a unique experience from each set.

I actually live in Eaton, so Hueston Woods is the closest course to my house.  I have played that course quite a bit, but never the Oxford course.  Thank you for the information that you've given me.  I have that map from dgcoursereview.com, but I didn't know how good of a map it would be once I get out there.  Thanks again, and any more information is always welcome.
Jay Dub
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:08:36 PM

I wouldn't mind playing Oxford Sat at 9. Send me a PM Friday and I'll let you know if I can make it, odds are I can.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:12:31 AM

Our records show that Oxford was redesigned to 18 holes in 1999, after it was used for the 98' worlds. Which year was the course actually initially installed?, how many holes? who all where involved with design?, etc. Greatly appreciate anyone that knows these details.
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:01:58 PM

When Oxford was expanded to 18 holes I was pleasantly surprised. I had some good rounds there during the 1998 World's which helped me to finish 4th in the Master's division. A few possible folks who may know are Kerry Keith, Mark Holland, Tom Forde, and Fred Salaz. There was also a Miami University disc golf club years ago. I am not sure if they are still meeting/organized.
Troy
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 10:39:43 AM

Played at Oxford this past Friday and was surprised and a little bit disappointed in what we saw as a group. The course has been cleaned up of all the brush which has made it a lot easier. Swan lake is now a probable 3 or very easy 4 from the short pad. I think the big thing is that if you went into the brush before that you were going to be punished significantly and that is now gone. Also saw plenty of empty beer bottles all over the course which made it look trashy.
AB
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:31:59 PM

For those of you unaware, Miami University is about to start on a very large construction project on their campus.  This construction work will have a substantial impact on a large portion of the existing course, and with new buildings being constructed on several of the holes, this course will forever be altered.

Holes that will be impacted are as follows:

#1, #2, #3, #4, #15, #16, #17, and #18. 

As a heads up to many of you, construction is scheduled to begin as soon as mid-June.  Therefore, I urge you to get out and play this course prior to mid-June if you want to play it one final time in its current layout.

And as a follow up, do any of you know what the plan is for this course? Where will these 8 existing holes be relocated?

morticite
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:41:49 PM

AB wrote:
For those of you unaware, Miami University is about to start on a very large construction project on their campus.  This construction work will have a substantial impact on a large portion of the existing course, and with new buildings being constructed on several of the holes, this course will forever be altered.

Holes that will be impacted are as follows:

#1, #2, #3, #4, #15, #16, #17, and #18. 

As a heads up to many of you, construction is scheduled to begin as soon as mid-June.  Therefore, I urge you to get out and play this course prior to mid-June if you want to play it one final time in its current layout.

And as a follow up, do any of you know what the plan is for this course? Where will these 8 existing holes be relocated?

This sucks. I really like that course. I'm going to have to make it up there before this happens. Thanks for the info.
morticite
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:58:34 AM

Just got back from Oxford. Had to take a detour to get to the course. The course sign and holes 1, 2, 16, 17, 18 are already pulled. Met two guys who were on a trip from St. Louis who wanted to play and I detoured them to Hueston Woods. I was disappointed and wish I would have known these were already gone.
kenbowski
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:52:45 PM

I'm glad that you said something, I was going to try to play there in the near future, but now I know to take that off of the list.
morticite
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 9:22:14 AM

kenbowski wrote:
I'm glad that you said something, I was going to try to play there in the near future, but now I know to take that off of the list.

No problem. I got home from there and posted right away because I didn't want anyone else to go through what we did. We did play the remaining holes and even saw one other group playing. But unless you live close and don't mind playing a much shorter course, it's not worth it.
whamo165g
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:45:55 PM

i guess oxford is now only nine holes, playing #5 thru #13 : http://www.rec.muohio.edu/intramurals/docs/Forms/disc%20golf%20course%20scorecard.pdf what a f'n bummer.
Tim Tim
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:31:28 AM

Dude... That is one of my favorite courses O_o and I've played alot of courses across the country and THAT's the one they decide to **** with??? *sigh* figures...
joshtrum
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:37:01 PM

Is this course going to remain a 9 hole course? Or are they going to put in 9 more holes...I really miss this course..
sisyphus
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:49:53 PM

I'm not sure what the long term plans are for the Miami U. course, but it certainly will never be the same. Drove past there a couple of weeks ago and saw that had even more construction going on around the green closest to the main road into town (just north of the band practice field). So it might not even be nine holes at the moment.
alex.e
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:18:33 AM

I'm really disappointed I never got to play this course in it's original layout...heard so many good things about it