Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Club Memberships for 2013 Options
Erik
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 10:03:43 AM

mikekem wrote:
Can I make an observation? A friend and I were discussing this today and the topic came up. Erik I don't know you outside of the message board, I'm not sure if we've ever met. I have no opinion of you one way or the other. However, I do notice you seem to be a contrarian on the board here. Whatever comes up, you are most often on the other side of the the fence on. Not only that but you seem to be the only person arguing your positions. Nothing wrong with any of those things and everyone has the right to their opinion but it seems like you like to argue just for the sake of an argument.

Hardly the case.  I spend more time posting on being positive.  Do a quick search of my past 50 posts and that will quickly display this.

You remember my name because I got wrapped up with trying to get an intermediate division a few years back.  I was told to bring it up at the club meeting to get it voted on.  I went to the meeting, I bought it up along with many supporting facts and illustrations (hense my nickname piechart) and my ideas (along with the majority opinion of the members at the meeting) were ignored by Dave Marlow.  He would put the issue to vote and completely ignored the viewpoints of the members.

From then on, I attended meetings to become more involved and place my suggestions there (not the forums).  You can look at vote histories to see what side of the fence I am on at the meetings, and you will find I usually agree on most topics.

Now the meeting time has changed.  I am pretty pissed off they held a meeting an hour away from me, and at said meeting decided to change the meetings to the last Monday of the month.  I am vocal about that, because I am forced to be.  It is rare for me to have a free evening on the last Monday of the month.  Sh!t, just look at my time stamp…  I am stuck at work on the 4th of July…  Anywho, I am just trying to get it changed back to what it was, or try to be part of the planning process next time so I can attend the meetings.

The other thing I am vocal about is broken sh!t.  For example, I have been contacting people about the meeting minutes for months.  Until last week, the minutes were only showing up until Dec 2011.  I am sure a few of my posts relate to this and were ignored.  Perhaps no one else cares if **** works around here???

AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:05:51 AM

Dead wrong on the meeting minutes, I asked the people involved to correct that asap the day I saw the post, sorry bud but next time I will reply that it is being handled. It should be rectified very soon. We are all volunteers in this club and we all need to respect the fact that we all have busy lives and some things take time to get to.

I agree that the last Monday's don't work well and I hope that we can get the second Mondays back or possibly the first or third. As far as location choice, what would you prefer?

Dave did not ignore it he just decided against it, since its the CCS coordinators duty to run the series it was his decision to make. I would love to see someone else handle as much as Dave did when he was an officer(Pres), CCS Coordinator for years, and the Club vendor at the same time. You all owe him a ton of respect and should thank the hell out of him anytime you see him.
Erik
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:24:48 AM

AdamJ wrote:
Dead wrong on the meeting minutes
???

Am I dead wrong?  Or was I messaging people behind the scenes about it and it just came to your attention?  I think it is the later of the two.  I was sending messages or emails to Tony and or Drew on the matter.  As a matter of fact, I got responses several times saying was working properly when it wasn’t.  it wasn’t until this past week when Tony figured out the problem.  PS - Thanks Tony for fixing it!

Nice to hear on the meeting times.  I am fine with a central location.  I think that seems to work best for most as it minimizes the average commute of everyone.  Having it the same location and time makes a lot of sense.  People need to be able to plan ahead to get babysitters and make arrangements to attend so having as much advance notice as possible helps a lot.

Dave did a great job and obviously I respect his decisions (even if I don’t agree with all of them.)  It was and is sh!tty to be told to go to a meeting to have it voted upon and then have the officers state they have the power under the constitution not to put it to vote and do what they want.  A constitution that was not even visible by members at the time…

Speaking of which, I know the constitution was revised a while back, is there a copy of it posted on the forum yet for members to read?

DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 12:04:25 PM

No, I attempted to post it but I messed up the site when I did it, exluding the meeting minutes, we don't have a dummy proof, easy way, of loading word documents..on the list of items to address but that list is very long, and since it hasn't been posted for more than 20 years, it's not at the top of the priority list right now given the install of the new course, insurance dilemma, 501C3 status, etc..etc..
Dawgii
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:55:38 AM

I hope I am not re-opening a can of worms, but I had a few suggestions for membership. First of all I would like to say that THANK YOU for all your hard work to keep the courses in great shape and all the time and effort to set-up and run local events. It does not go unnoticed and is greatly appreciated. I like the fact that I do not have to go out of town to play in a tournament and it is nice to play and get to know the locals. With that said here are some thoughts...

Membership is too cheap! People are willing to spend 5-10 dollars, 1 to 3(or more) times a week, to play in weekly events. New membership is 16 and you get a disc voucher, Re-new and its 11. Lifetime 56? I'm sure it costs more to run the website than what you bring in off just membership. I would suggest more like 25.00 for individual / 45.00 family (max 4)for new and you get a mini(s). 20.00 individual/35.00 family for renewal. Lifetime at least 250.00 and maybe include a dri-fit GCFDA "Lifer" shirt(if you want to offer it.) You could also have a volunteer discount program where if you work 20/hrs or donate "x" amount in a year you are entitled to a 5.00 discount on your renewal. I think it needs to be stated what the funds go to, as these are a shared perk, but a perk nonetheless. As far as individual perks you should state that membership gets you a discount on PDGA membership, and lower local tournament fees. In addition you might consider adding a discount program on GCFDA merchandise (either % or $ amount). Work with the local vendors to stock some of the merchandise and of course have it available at all local tourneys. Play in a few tourneys, renew PDGA, buy some merchandise and the membership has paid for itself in a short time.

I would also like to suggest that the membership on the home page should have it's own button/link. Currently it's a little hard to find until you realize that it alternates between the PDGA membership and the GCFDA. In the membership tab you might also add a donate tab for those a little more fortunate that can donate $, but maybe not so much time. Another suggestion is to have a forums topic for help wanted (A catchier name would be better). Not only would this include course clean-up/set-up, tournament help (spotters), but CTP donations, sponsorship opportunities,and other misc. items. It might go on deaf ears but at least it would be out there and available to those that are interested but maybe not know how to get involved.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!

brutalbrutus
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:45:29 AM

figured i'd give you guys a non-member view on this i have played in all but the harbin CC this year and enjoyed myself at all of them and have no problem paying the non member fee but if all the tourneys were like the rapid run and had to pay $20-25 per cc in rec division i wouldnt have played in any of them i have enough problems keeping discs in my bag without having to worry about paying $200-250 a year in entry fees i sure as heck wouldnt then also pay for a membership unless it offers a large benifit in discounts
902boland
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:15:52 PM

brutalbrutus wrote:
figured i'd give you guys a non-member view on this i have played in all but the harbin CC this year and enjoyed myself at all of them and have no problem paying the non member fee but if all the tourneys were like the rapid run and had to pay $20-25 per cc in rec division i wouldnt have played in any of them i have enough problems keeping discs in my bag without having to worry about paying $200-250 a year in entry fees i sure as heck wouldnt then also pay for a membership unless it offers a large benifit in discounts

90 something players playing at the Rapid Run event speaks volume. However, I don't know how you can get charged 20+ in fees and think thats a fair deal. I know I'm on the outside looking in on that particular subject but I also know a rip off when I see one.  I myself is also a non-member. I make only a few CCS every year so I don't mind paying a small fee. The membership is worth it if you play most of the CC events. The best thing is, the money is going to the RIGHT people!!! thumbsup

902boland
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:20:15 PM

Again, I don't want to sound like a D**k on the Rapid run event. I wish someone will explain how getting charged 20+ in fees is worth it? humor me...
brutalbrutus
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:23:43 PM

i didnt think it was worth it only because i played like crap and didnt cash as usual lol i just wanted to play that event cuz the course is so rarely used but if i remember correctly for the rec division it was 10 entry 10 for non pdga member and 2 for ace fund but the 119 players that came quite a few  were out of town guys who only play one or two cc a year and im guessing most of those were pdga members so they didnt have to pay the extra $10 and maybe if i ever get a decent job i will think diferantly about the money
Dawgii
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:29:46 PM

I'm a member of GCFDA but not an officer and by no means have been involved with the club (other than attending a few CSCS). That said, I appreciate what GCFDA brings to the table in terms of disc golf. They keep the courses (some more than others) in pristine shape, work on expansion, redesign, and new courses (Goshen is a perfect example). They set-up, organize, promote local tournaments and CCS. In addition they promote the sport of disc golf to bring in noobs such as myself, help establish weekly events, and offer assistance both on the field and off. They provided a social media through their website (especially convenient when you huk a disc in the woods). When you think about the number of events in a year, and the number of courses that are around Cincinnati we are pretty fortunate. They do this all on a shoe-string or no budget, and they ask that those that appreciate what they do to chip in a couple of bucks a month and possibly get involved. Is there a huge money saving benefit for your own personal gain...no. But if you enjoy playing the courses and enjoy the tournaments then you are definitely reaping the benefits. Can you get your money back if you attend all the CCS yup. Do the CSS cost money, you bet, and they aren't much different than any other tournament out there. Personally, I prefer not to play for money and if I was even an ounce as motivated as these guys I would run a weekly just for fun event. Nonetheless I reap the reward of all their hard work.

Now that I am done ranting. I will say their could be opportunities to make membership more beneficial such as discount on merchandise, bag tag events, member exclusive events, and any others that you can think of and suggest.
gw0904
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:25:26 PM

902boland wrote:
Again, I don't want to sound like a D**k on the Rapid run event. I wish someone will explain how getting charged 20+ in fees is worth it? humor me...

Here is my understanding - someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The Rapid Run CCS was sanctioned by the PDGA, which requires players who aren't PDGA members to pay an extra $10.  It was sanctioned because the park required liability insurance that was covered by the PDGA.  Same thing happened at the Devou CCS last year.

AdamJ
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 6:50:19 AM

We had 119 players and since Cincinnati Parks now requires anyone to have insurance for sporting events in their parks we had to sanction it as C-tier which led to all non pdga members having to cover the $10 fee to which they all can get a supporting membership and receive a mini, PDGA number and rules book. All pdga events have a player fee based on tier level, C tier is $2 per and we had to add that or it would have effected our standard payout structure. That being said the GCFDA waived its non member fee so the only added costs where for pdga player fee($2) and non pdga members($10). In the future once our club is officially a 501c3 non profit org. we will be able to run XC tier events to which the pdga waives the nonmember fee and the 2 dollar player fee is kept for the charity(club). C tier with insurance is $100 to which the Club covers. Mt.Airy CCS is also a C tier and I am working on having a pre-registration setup thru our PayPal soon to help me out so I don't have to spend hours uploading names. Please consider using that when its ready to help me out, thanks guys. Gotta run, will post more later.
Mike, give me a call about stopping out at Goshen, 513-255-7275.
902boland
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 1:03:39 PM

Right on Adam. I have your number in my phone now. I don't need a disc or anything, just throwing down on some help now that I have my life back :-)
Good explination by you and gw0904 on the fees. I'm just curious. Things can get taken the wrong way through writing something rather than talking. I'll give you call when I get off of work Saturday. Later on...
b. barnett
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:59:16 PM

Im having trouble paying for the rest of this year/ next years membership. Can anyonr help with this. Id like to be able to speak at the next meeting.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 6:58:19 AM

Next year is not available till next year, Anyone can speak at the meetings, only members can vote on issues.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:44:37 PM

maybe its up alittle and i misssed it but how much is first time membership and do you get any merch with it?
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:35:19 AM

As of right now we have not made any necessary changes and membership is currently $15 new, $10 renewal. New members get a disc of their choice as merch. We are still working on how we will proceed and are hoping to have this ironed out soon. I want to see a increase in membership fees but also an increase in what we have to offer, maybe shirt,towel,mini, or more with a disc option. Thoughts guys???
brutalbrutus
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 10:27:19 AM

maybe a gcfda logo hat
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 10:39:24 PM

I would raise lifetime membership. No matter what its going to be a great deal and can net the club a good amount of money up front
Erik
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 11:13:40 AM

NatiBuckeye wrote:
I would raise lifetime membership. No matter what its going to be a great deal and can net the club a good amount of money up front

+1.  Look at what the PDGA charges for a lifetime membership.  (most people did not even know they offered one as it is some expensive.  But you get a free jacket!  :)
brutalbrutus
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:09:35 AM

has this been figured out yet? was thinking about getting a membership this year and was wondering what all you get
T_Vincent
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:43:37 AM

We are still working on the details of what you get and what the cost will be. This is one of the big items to be discussed at the next meeting in March. So if you have an opinion please come and share it. All are welcome to go to the meetings. It is only the members that are allowed to vote.
Discgolfnut
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 12:09:10 PM

Any news on renewals for 2013 GCFDA membership? I joined the local club last year, despite playing few CCS the past couple years. I've been a paying member of the PDGA since 2009 although I have not renewed for 2013 yet since I heard the club gets a kickback from the PDGA if registering for membership through the local site.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 8:36:34 PM

Any word on membership fee's for this year?
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 8:41:09 AM

At our last meeting we voted on increasing the new and renewal memberships fee by $5 and we added $50 to lifetime individual and family.
We are still ironing out the details of the membership packages and benefits and are almost done. Thanks for your patience as we work towards building a brighter future for our club and players.

@Discgolfnut : Club memberships will be ready shortly. Anyone can use the link on the front page or simply go to the PDGA online store and use the link for the PDGA Affiliate Club membership for new or renewals,scroll to bottom of the page. On the membership form use the 13 Greater Cincinnati Flying Disc Association in the drop down menu. You will receive a $5 discount and the Club gets points to use for PDGA stuff.