Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Alexandria Park Options
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 1:58:00 PM

Alexandria Disc Golf Course may get a makeover - needs YOUR support.

This is copied from a email we just recieved about future plans for the 9 hole course in Alexandria.

The Alexandria Park and Recreation Board is weighing whether to invest in another round of disc golf improvements. The existing 9-hole course will remain 9 but lengthened to make it more challenging and more enjoyable. They need to know how much interest there is in the community for such a project. The park board meets at the city building at 8236 W. Main St. at 7pm on the first Wednesday of the month. To make your voice heard, attend the meeting or call (859) 635-4125 to add your support. Have something good to say, like ‘it would get more play if it was lengthened’ or ‘an upgrade would really make it enjoyable’.  Steve Trauger

Please either make the meeting to show support or call and give much needed positive feedback to get this course in the shape we all know it could be and make another mediocre course worth playing. Thanks.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 11:50:23 AM

Alexandria has approved the renovation of the disc golf course and appointed me to supervise the redesign of the course. Anyone interested in helping out can stop by the shop at the Nati or call me at 859 630 4142. Work will start asap. It will be a 9 hole course with the possibility of 9 or more holes later(there is plenty of room). Do NOT come out looking to play cause the baskets will not be installed until all the work has been completed(early spring).
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:22:28 PM

The Alexandria park board has asked for an 18 hole design. After doing a walk through a couple of times I think that this park will rival Lincoln Ridge in the fun factor. Up and down, wooded, open bombs, scenic and just plain fun is what we will be shooting for. Anyone in that area that wants to help out post here or call the shop 513 541 7305 and we will get back with you. If we do it right this course could make Cincinnati top 5 list.
sisyphus
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:36:31 PM

That sounds awesome, Fred. Unlike Liam Neeson, I have no skills, but I am willing to go out & drag debris into piles occasionally. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any odd jobs you might have for us as this gets underway. Thanks!
Rusty Chains
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:57:16 AM

Last week i stopped at the park to see what u guys had staked off the day in ran into u. This looks like it is going to be a real jewel Fred. Another 18 in the area would be amazing. I'm really glad you are designing this one. Let me know if you need any help with course work.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:54:08 PM

they need to build a bridge in new richmond area lol then it wouldnt take me 45 minutes to get there and i would help out alot
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:49:06 PM

Bob and I are finishing up the final design phase of this disc golf course. To make it easier on everyone that wants to help and to try to get more people involved Bob and I will mark the fairways(around trees) with caution tape. Removing honey suckle is the first priority(its not super bad). If you are interested in helping stop by the Nati and I can help set you up. Tools you will need are mattox, bow saw/chain saw, ax etc. So far we have the NKU disc golf team interested in helping along with a couple of local disc golfers. To give you an idea of what this course will look like, think Mt Airy in the woods. Bob's salivating on a specific hole which according to him will be 500+ downhill through the woods(there might be a couple of them). Bob and I will be out there during the week if anyone has odd hours and wants to help. I will update as we go along.
Dawgii
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:40:18 PM

Are you out there starting this week, or will this be in the near future?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:09:11 AM

We plan on being out there this afternoon. Call first. 859-630-4142.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:42:00 AM

when your ready for benches fred let me know im tired of playing courses without benches so i will personally install them if need be
slg6218
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:46:42 AM

Took my dogs to the park for a walk and noticed the stakes for baskets and tees. Looks really interesting following the runoff creek down from the dam. Just wondering about the general lay of the course, will it turn and circle back to the left or the right of the creek. Either way there will be lots of elevation change.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:53:31 AM

Those holes will be used for the 18 hole lay out(they only have a budget for 9 right now). The front nine is across the main dam and up the hill in the woods ending back down and across the creek and up the trail by hole #1. Somehow....
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:00:25 PM

Fred and I have recently been working on hole 4 of the redesigned Alexandria course. It is shaping up to be a tight, uphill par 4, dogleg right, slightly over 400 feet. The woods we have to work with have large trees, very little brush, and lots of elevation change - a really nice combination. We could use some help. If you are interested and motivated to help, we will post the next time we plan to work.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 2:57:43 PM

Due to the work I am doing to improve Mt Airy I will be limited on doing anything at Alexandria. Fortunately locals Mike Neman and Time Webster(I will post their contact #s as soon as I get their permission) are stepping up and taking the reins to finish the course. It will start out as a 9 hole course and the parks basically needs it in by June 30. Anyone interested in helping please post here. Your help would be appreciated.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:06:57 PM

Mike Newman's number is 270-875-3960. Contact him for work day schedules, he is available during the week as well. Thanks
slg6218
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:44:56 PM

What sort of things need to done. I live nearby and would like to pitch in. My schedule is hectic, I work all weekend, but I could squeeze in some time.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 11:13:10 AM

slg6218, contact Mike Newman ^^^ and he can direct you to the area where the course will be located and instruct you on what needs to be done. You can then work around your schedule. Help is greatly appreciated. As usual park has little or no money for disc golf and will be looking for tee sign sponsors soon.
slg6218
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:48:15 PM

Took my dogs to the Community Park for a walk and saw the new 9 hole setup. Have to be honest, I saw #2 and thought it was going to be a replica of the old course, very short and not much fun. Boy was I wrong. #3 is short but does a great job of bringing the creek into play. #'s 4, 5, and 6 are tight holes with a blind dogleg left tee shot, think of Lincoln Ridge #8. #7 could be a signature hole on just about any course in town not named Idlewild or Mt. Airy. If you fall off to the right of the dam you are in trouble. That hole will earn it's nickname of Dam Hole very quickly. #'s 8 and 9 are both tight little holes that could cause trouble. Kudos to the Scouts who did the work. Someone should organize a small thank you event at the course, to let the young men know how much their work is appreciated. I can see myself going there quite often to enjoy the course.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 4:31:52 PM

Unfortunately they werent able to go through with the design Bob Herbert and I suggested. It would have taken a lot more work. Ive been told tbe boy scouts did a great job with the new design.