Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Woodland Mound Options
wamslebm
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 3:56:30 PM

Woodland Mound aces this year.  So far I have gotten 1, 2, 12-(miraculously went up and down several times but striaght), 14 (Off a skip) and #17 (Almost everytime).   Its just a matter of time before I get 3,6, 9-(I have gotten in the past) and18.  I don't think that it is possible though to get 4,5,7,8,or 11 because I have never overthrown any of those holes.  Anybody else having a good year?

wamslebm
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 10:37:23 AM

The skill of my disc game is in opposite correalation to the economy. The real reason I started this topic is that I contacted Hamilton County Park District about adding 9 more holes here. They are going to consult the land manager and let me know if this is possible. If it is possible, I will need any help I can get. I would appreciate if some of you with course design experience could help me. Thanks!
NKYgoalie
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:55:58 PM

My home course is woodland. Another 9 would be great, even another whole course could be great due to the large amount of visitors lately (large # groups). I would be willing to help you try and get another 9 put in, and im sure my dad would want to help too. Hopefully this goes through, and maybe we might get some larger holes to be able to rip some drives on.
T_Vincent
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:43:43 PM

While adding 9 holes to Woodland mound would be nice. Why not have Hamilton County Park District help the courses that need improvements first. They get played a lot as well. Embschoff needs new baskets and tees. Hell, even if Woodland get new baskets, the old ones would be a HUGE improvement over what they have now. Embchoff is only 9 holes. It whould not take much to fix it. Same with Whitewater, it is only 9 holes.

Just my two cents.
frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:51:20 AM

Lots of folks love the old Hamilton County courses the way they are. Thus the popularity (and some would say overuse).
But I think the county parks may be realizing they have a double-edged sword on their hands. On one hand, they are extremely popular, and they love seeing the usage. On the other hand, the courses were designed before the ubiquity of the longer-flying golf discs as well as before the enormous jump in popularity of the game itself.
The courses have become crowded. It's not uncommon to see two groups on each hole at Hamilton County's courses (or any number of area courses, for that matter).
What's the answer? More holes? That takes much more money. Redesign and longer holes (better handling more traffic)? That would take away from tradition and respect for the original designers, but result in a minimal investment from the parks.
We, in this city, have an enviable problem: too many players. Some courses are too crowded to get a round in edgewise (not just Hamco courses; Mt. Airy and Banklick come to mind). The longer courses can better handle the larger crowds. Perhaps we need to approach the county parks with more efficient designs (smoother flow) and perhaps longer courses, accommodating the increase in popularity. They don't have to be super long holes; they just need to get out of each others' way and respect the two-pronged growth of the game (popularity and disc technology).
From what I know, Hamco parks don't have much money to spend, but in at least one instance are open to redesign.
These courses have been around for ages, and are somewhat hallowed ground in that respect. We're lucky in this area that the parks recognize a popular attraction and are willing to keep them rather than close them at the first sign of trouble, as has happened in other cities.
I think that if we approach redesign with volunteerism from local players and a mindset to still keep it family-friendly, the courses could last our lifetimes.
wamslebm
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 11:43:50 AM

I agree that some of these courses are considered sacred and I do not want to change the original 18 because I have been playing here for over 15 years. I think part of the popularity of Woodland Mound is due to the speed at which you can get 18 holes in and the higher chances for aces than other places. But I could just imagine with the land that they have, throwing a frisbee down a long hill towards the river and having several new great viewsheds by creating 9 new holes. I do respect the parks need to protect the land it has because I often hear wild turkeys and foxes while playing Woodland Mound. But I would love to add 9 new holes with more difficulty to this already popular course.
StorminSteve
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:44:07 PM

The park districts should have extra money to go towards improvements or adding more holes. The cost isn't that much for the overall plan. As for aces , I have aced # 9 and just this week #13 . I just started playing last Nov. LOVE THE GAME !!!!!!!!
Madmike
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:40:07 AM

Dont get me started on my aces this year at the mound lol steve i hit hole 7 at banklick tonight before doubles tonight to put me at 10 for the year 5 at the mound 1 at amelia and 4 at banklick
StorminSteve
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:53:53 PM

Your not starting the doubles this Monday ? Just want to make sure of the date . My vote is to start this Monday June 22 . See you later
Madmike
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 11:19:50 PM

well lets make that 11 this year steve i hit another one tonight at harbin during doubles for 189 i might not have to get a job if i keep this up
StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 4:13:30 PM

Good job ! That ace fund at Woodland probably will never get that big !
The Dark
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 12:15:05 AM

Hey, I'm new here. This is my new home course (just moved into town a few months ago) I nearly aced 15 the other day. Would have been my first...
alex.e
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 5:38:13 PM

Welp...woodland is now even easier than before...i just played it today and they removed a lot of trees, a lot of trees that made holes harder. Some of the trees removed actually make standing on some tee pads even more dangerous. 2,5,7,10,17,18 all made easier as a result. This course may be only worth playing from november to february because i imagine these changes will attract even more inconsiderate families and teens, although this might be a good thing for popularity of the sport.
JEFFV
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:23:00 AM

Sux what they did to Woodland it makes me sick that they cut down trees like that all over the course. It just shows they dont care about the disc golf out there. It's not even worth playing any more because now the holes are wide open 200 foot shots. Ohh well at least there is Amelia still!
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 11:53:22 AM

It shows that there are issues with trees in the Mid-west. The trees you are talking about, what kind were they? Last time I was there many of the fairway defining trees were dying. Don't assume anything.

Woodland would be smart to revert the course back to the old layout-much safer.
alex.e
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 6:50:39 PM

They have actually cut down even more since my original post. A lot of the trees were big well established ones that I know for a fact at least 90% were healthy and alive. It seems like they are trying to make the course more friendly for kids and families. Honestly some of the trees they have taken out make it more dangerous because it took away the need to throw straight down the fairway on some holes.
alex.e
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 6:51:14 PM

And they just threw the trees they cut down into the creeks...very ugly.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 8:05:30 PM

Alex, you're beating a dead horse on this site. Why don't you call Hamilton county Parks and complain to them. The number is (513-728-3551) ask for Ross. Ask him to meet with you and you tell him you could design an awesome course out there if given a chance. Good luck. DO IT! East side needs it.
alex.e
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 9:36:03 PM

To be honest Fred, woodland mound is already so crowded that instead of actually doing something to save that course I would rather spearhead a new course in my hometown of Batavia. I know there is land that could be used at sycamore park (right outside the village) rather than try to save a course i only play in the offseason. Also i know this isn't the right thread but pm me more details on work days at Alexandria. If their are days I can help I'd love to.
alex.e
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 9:37:40 PM

I'm just a nature loving guy that gets pissed when trees are unnecessarily cut down lol.
finnhawc
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:14:42 AM

There are a few reasons to cut down "healthy" trees. Emerald Ash Borer devastated Michigan Disc Courses 10 to 13 years ago. Now, at those courses, the reforesting that took place after massive culling of pseemingly healthy trees. Look for Hamilton County Parks to replant as per their plan: http://www.hamiltoncountyparks.org/conservation/nonnative.html
Let's hope for the best.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:50:37 AM

i used to work for the HCP at the vineyards golf course and they were always quick to remove dying or deseased trees so they werent liable for falling branches or trees injuring people and with as much play that place gets its not surprising they cut them down and while i like playing the mound its not like it was overly difficult to begin with and while some of the shot shaping it takes{took} to play there is was great for practice but there are plenty of options around town now with more on the way. id be more worried about them getting some new tee pads in there more than anything some of those pads are downright dangerous
sisyphus
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:34:52 PM

Agreed: pads & the two bridges need replacing at the Mound. Question for the mores seasoned folks: is there a map of the 'old layout' somewhere?
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 7:41:32 PM

Unfortunately most of Goshen's woods are Ash trees, we'll have to get some experts out to the park to evaluate, some of the largest Ash trees I've ever seen are on 5 (the one in the creek on 5 on the right side is an Ash, it is huge for an Ash, I'm going to measure it to see if it is a state record), 9, & 10's fairways...2,12, and 18 are all Ash as well....the woodpeckers have gone crazy on some of these Ashes, suggesting infestation of some sort..odds are the bore will be out there if not already, so enjoy the next couple of years out there because the forest won't last out there for long....we'll be planting a slew of red maples around the course this year, and hopefully some white oaks...and SHRUBBERY in lieu of the honey suckle thats coming out....
brutalbrutus
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:57:25 PM

Next time someone heads out there with a camera they should snap some new pics. I think the course has changed enough in the past two years to warrant some new pics. If I had a decent camera or smart phone I would probably do it myself, but my dinosaur phone cant upload pics lol.