Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Starting a New Tournament or league Options
Jowsepi
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 12:48:58 PM

Does anyone have any information on starting a new tournament or League. My town just got a new course and I have gotten the disc golf bug bad. I would really like to hold a disc golf tournament to either support the school or for cancer funding. (My father has cancer). I am willing to do whatever needs to be done to make this happen.  I have never played in a league or tournament so I am not familiar with all the rules involved. Please let me know any information that would be useful.
sisyphus
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 2:03:57 PM

First, where are you at? ("My town just got a new course"). Coz you'll want to get plugged in to your local disc golf community, even if you wanted to host a casual, one time fundraiser event.
Next: I've never TD'd but I am certain you'll want to sign up for and play in a tournament first, to see how they go. Then offer to help out at one, and ask the Tournament Director a ton of questions on setting up, planning, payouts, etc. Same thing for a league...
also, DGCR.com will have a ton of info (search the forums).
Jowsepi
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 2:32:32 PM

Gardner Park is my course. I am gonna go to a couple different league stuff around town and I plan on playing in a couple tournaments later in the year. I have been playing for about a week and I'm already under par at that course. I played at Winton and was told I was a natural. I am playing at Mt. Airy this weekend and I hope to talk to some people out there. Thanks for the info so far.
finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 8:42:13 AM

Leagues are done many different ways. My favorite is singles league done with handicaps. http://discap.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=833. Second post down. Also doubles is fun.