Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

An example of why PDGA Ratings Don't Mean A Thing Options
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:03:49 PM

When I was a new player I got hung up on the Ratings Game.  Being a stats person, I over analyzed a single number that I've learned simply doesn't mean much once you progress past a certain point.  Sure, I know looking at the numbers 1000 and 800 means one person is going into a fit of depression for shooting a 950 round while the other person is instantly tweeting or facey spacing what a great day they just had.  But when it really comes down to it....numbers can't capture the true essence of a player.

I could write a 500 page book on all the cybermetrics of Disc Golf but I would be the only one to read it.  Simply put.  Lee Stephens - 942.... Jeff Eades - 942.  We all know I'm half the player Jeff is.  Sure on a good day I can eek out win when he's having a bad day...but when he's on....I can't even hope to compete.

I will practice. I will get better.  One day I may do battle with the pale dolphin on his good day and come out the victor...but until that day...our numbers aren't even close to being the same.
902boland
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:40:57 PM

Lee, there is some truth to that. Far as me, I'm 914 (to the best of my knowledge) now if you base the rating on division, I could play AM 2 lol.
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 8:57:33 AM

Lee, you underestimate your Power!!!

Ratings give a reasonable expectation of where somebody should play, which division. Once the round starts though...ratings don't make putt for you.