Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Cincinnati State Disc Golf Course is a go! Options
perica
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 2:19:11 PM

They're still doing a lot of construction out there. I drive by there at least once per week and can still see a basket here or there but am not sure if any were pulled for the work. I suppose you could play if you got sneaky and went in amongst the equipment, piles of dirt different layers of fencing that are strewn about. You may end up injured, arrested or both though.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:03:47 AM

All the baskets are still in place and when the work is finally finished the course will actually be better than it was before. The rainwater gardens and the associated retaining walls will add great obstacles to the course. There is new grass planted in many of the areas on top of the hill where improvements were made and we would kindly ask that you have patience and not play the course while it is recovering. Believe me, it's killing me not to be able to play it. The lower area (around No. 1 and No. 8) will be the last area finished. It will probably be next spring before it's ready to play again, but I think the improvements will definitely make Copperleaf the best 9 hole course in this area. Thanks for your interest, and again, your patience.
amatz
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 7:48:34 PM

Any updates on whether the course is ready to play yet?
Erik
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 2:36:54 PM

amatz wrote:
Any updates on whether the course is ready to play yet?

Any update?
surgediscgolf
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 8:21:40 PM

The basket for No. 9 is out and the new tee location for No. 8 is not decided. Give me two weeks and I'll get it back opened. I think you'll like the improvements, pretty cool!
amatz
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 1:00:00 PM

I went to play there today for the first time at this course. I took a map of the course from this site. I'm going to assume still not quite ready as I couldn't find #9 basket. I couldn't find tee markers either. For some I found where there were brick tees? Will the tees be marked when complete?
amatz
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:24:36 PM

amatz wrote:
I took a map of the course from this site.

After rechecking, I actually took a map I got from Cincinnati State's site.

Thier map: http://itd1.cincinnatistate.edu/copperleaf/course/pop_ups/flash_map.htm

GCFDA map: http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/Umbraco/media/1834/cincystate.jpg

If I would have used the map from this site, would I find the tees better?

For example, number 2 tee in Cincy State's map is across the steps behinf #7 basket versus just across the entrance road from #1 basket.
Jay Dub
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:47:27 AM

When I played that course I used the map from this site and with very few problems found all the tees and holes.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:14:21 PM

I asked if we could get the basket for No. 9 reinstalled. It was removed so that some trees in the vicinity could be felled and a lot of honeysuckle bushes removed. The grounds crew said that they are too busy right now to clean up the area and they think it is a hazard to be played in the current condition. I think it's very playable but so far I have not been able to sway them.

Hole No. 2's Tee pad was changed a long time ago from the position across from No. 1's basket to the spot on the land going up the main stairs.

Hole No. 8's Tee pad needs to be relocated (it was the sidewalk adjacent to the large gingko tree) because of all the water gardens that were installed in the lower area.

All the other holes were not affected by the rain garden installation, in fact, there are now some really cool new features. For example, Hole No. 5's approach to the basket is bounded on the right side by a large retaining wall that curves (not accidentally) with the fairway. Hole No. 3's route is more clearly defined as being to the left around the trees and not to the right. Water gardens on the right are obviously not the intended course. Hole No. 8 will be a cool hole, perhaps somewhat shorter, when I get around to selecting an appropriate new tee location.

Thanks for your patience. I knew when they started this massive project it would be some time until the course would be playable again... ...I wasn't wrong. HAHA
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 6:03:37 AM

Doing great there Paul, I wanted to ask you if you have thought of adding box steps or a type of stairs for hole 9 for going down the hill to the basket. That steep of a grade and consistent foot traffic in a narrow space will erode at a fast pace.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:01:37 AM

Good question. I might be able to work with the grounds crew on that when they get around to working on that area. I will definitely raise the question with them.
amatz
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:52:32 AM

I played this course a few times last year. The last time I was there, was in the fall. Number 9 basket was still missing on my last visit.
Is the course ready this year yet? (Is basket for 9 back and does number 8 have a different tee to avoid the water garden?)
Old Bassman
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 12:31:20 AM

I am playing the course tomorrow and will post an
update when I get back.