Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Why is local PDGA tournament attendance decreasing? Options
brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:49:02 AM

I also think your argument is flawed, to look at the difference between first and last is not good. someone always plays well and someone always plays real bad
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:08:49 AM

We are completely off topic now.

It seems the main reasons for not playing in an event are:

1. Players pack or incentives.
2. Cost (which can be decreased by a players pack)
3. Competition or perceived competition.
4. Distance or other events
DiscDogNation
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:36:16 AM

NatiBuckeye wrote:
We are completely off topic now. It seems the main reasons for not playing in an event are: 1. Players pack or incentives. 2. Cost (which can be decreased by a players pack) 3. Competition or perceived competition. 4. Distance or other events

I think numbers one and two can cancel each other out ...
maybe offer 2 separate entry fees ... one for entries to receive player pack and one without

#3 I struggle with competition issue myself but if you want to compete ... don't hate the player hate the game. By that I mean I practice every damn day in an effort to try and raise my scores so I can compete in the upper levels of my division. I finally won a damn tournament and someone mentions that margin of victory as a detriment to others in my division ... ouch. For the record I severely sprained my left wrist during the second round and had trouble carrying my own bag ... not looking for sympathy but trying to show my level of dedication to this sport and just how far I will go to try and do better.

#4 I realize distance is a factor for some but not for me however I will say other events will affect what I enter. (mainly because I would rather choose a large field of competitors over smaller then tougher course over easier then shorter course over longer)

I think if you are a rec player and looking to get “paid” because you show up you will have a bad time and honestly that’s probably not the right mindset to get a payout anyway.

My current mindset is to get to par golf then I’ll work on getting better. I’m setting attainable goals and only celebrating a little when I reach them then creating new ones to reach … Honestly if I do better than the guys I play with every weekend I consider it a good weekend (you know who you all are).

I’m obviously not in it for the money but rather meeting new people and sharing a few rounds …

One year and four months in to this sport and I think I’m doing pretty good although I have some friends from Florida who are doing considerably better … they are my next targets J

Nice question Andrew … wanna throw tonight ?

brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:29:11 PM

I think if you want to increase attendance we need to get more out of towners I think the reason holly's tournaments in Dayton do well is they get players from Dayton cincy and even Columbus at those I mean look at the Monroe course challenge I know this a pdga tourney thread but there was a big am tourney in c-bus that weekend and still got a 100 to show up