Johnson Hills Park - Anderson Township Options
mikekem
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:05:50 PM

thanks for understanding
Tim Tim
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:01:26 PM

So we got off topic for a few... Lets not all cry at once now gentlemen lol

*btw we were joking with each other*

So how does someone like myself and others contribute to helping this disc golf course become a piece of reality?
Erik
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 12:28:37 PM

I finally made it in there yesterday to check out the plans and talk to Ken for a while. He kept saying Pete was involved with the planning of it. Is this true or was he just acting like he had local involvement? He seemed shocked there was only 3 courses on the eastside out of the 30 courses around here... Especially since only woodland gets traffic.

It would be nice for them to go look at other courses like Mason, Mount Airy, and Banklick to see how they were constructed and designed. I just hope this does not turn into another Amelia.
Erik
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 1:25:47 PM

Only 1 open house left.... My our presense known!

Saturday Nov 7 1 pm – 3 pm Beech Acres Park RecPlex Gymnasium
Beech Acres Park is at 6915 Beechmont Ave.
pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:50:36 PM

Yes - I'm involved in it. Your fear is mine as well - we've got to carve out some more land and push into some walking path areas, otherwise we'll be limited like we were at Harbin with that damned parcourse trail that they wouldn't even move a little.

Come on people - show up and support the best potential for a great eastside course!
nienaber
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 11:01:01 AM

I will be at Englewood for the tourny saturday.

If worse comes to worse we can just set up baskets and play until they let us build one. I remember reading an article about guys who did that at a course in Florida. The loser on each hole had to carry the basket to the pin placement. Could be kind of a fun way to get some of these parks to recognize disc golf.
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 11:23:32 AM

If space is an issue well laid out nine-hole multiple tee course is better than 18 holes of lameness. Isn't this a big enough park?
pcaldwell
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:03:34 AM

I think we'll be fine. But that assumes the other residents filling out their surveys and making their priorities known to the park will not knock disc golf out altogether. I figure it made it onto the proposed master plan, so it has some sticking power. My concern is it gets taken seriously enough to warrant them spending adequate $ and land on it.
Tim Tim
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 9:17:07 PM

I agree... you don't want them to decide to build the course and not take it seriously. Otherwise you'll end up with a lame course with no actual design

If it passes, we'll need to speak up so that quality is ensured in the building process
Erik
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:00:31 PM

Has there been any more information on this project? I have been checking the news and nothing has hit the local paper.
The Dark
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:56:46 PM

I take it this project is dead, but if any momentum can be built up for it, I'd love to help out. I live less than 5 minutes away from the park, and I must say, the land there has some amazing potential.
pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:59:14 PM

Not dead, just stuck in slow moving governmental bureaucracy. They have surveyed and staked the new access road into the park. Once the road is in they want to start with building the dam for the lake. Then, they want to finalize the plan for the paved multi-use trail that will wind throughout the park (regretfully, a lot like Heritage Park - same park designers). The parks director indicated they would work that trail in conjunction with the disc golf course design so it doesn't get silly out there. I'm still on it - but phone calls to the parks department inquiring about the course or demonstrating peoples' anxiousness for the course would certainly help provide some nudging. 513-474-0003. www.andersonparks.com/ParkJohnHillsinfo.html Check out the maps on that page.
The Dark
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:42:52 PM

pcaldwell wrote:
Not dead, just stuck in slow moving governmental bureaucracy. They have surveyed and staked the new access road into the park. Once the road is in they want to start with building the dam for the lake. Then, they want to finalize the plan for the paved multi-use trail that will wind throughout the park (regretfully, a lot like Heritage Park - same park designers). The parks director indicated they would work that trail in conjunction with the disc golf course design so it doesn't get silly out there. I'm still on it - but phone calls to the parks department inquiring about the course or demonstrating peoples' anxiousness for the course would certainly help provide some nudging. 513-474-0003. www.andersonparks.com/ParkJohnHillsinfo.html Check out the maps on that page.

I went out there a couple days ago, and I see what you mean. Posted by the bulletin board was the master plan for the park, which included plans for a DG course, and if you look closely, an 18 hole provisional layout for a course. It's on the link that you sent.

Clearly, there's a lot of work to be done. The lake, scheduled for construction to begin this year, does not appear to have been started yet. Some of the areas scheduled to be cleared remain raw woods, ... I imagine the park will be wonderful once completed, but there's a long way to go. Judging from the provisional design, however, I'm excited to finally have an alternative to Woodland Mound on this side of town.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:36:29 PM

i guess there is still no news on this course? i checked the park distict website and they havent any there
brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:20:56 AM

was digging through the website again looks like they bought some new land to build their entrance too bad they cant get the course up and running while they deal with this epa stuff looks like that may take another year we should look into doing a temp course tourney there next year for the CCS if they havent moved forward with it by then
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:40:56 PM

Big opportunity! Anderson Township is soliciting opinions for their parks. For some reason, disc golf isn't even mentioned in the online survey. There is plenty of room on the survey to add in your comments about disc golf, the fact that you've read about the course coming to Johnson Hills Park for years, how overcrowded Woodland Mound is, how great it is for families, young people, old people, how healthy it is, how few courses there are in the area, how far you drive to play other courses, how cheap it is to install compared to other rec facilities, etc. Promise them you'll volunteer to help them install it! Please fill our the survey! They aren't hearing much support for dg and I'm really afraid the neighbors are going to succeed in keeping it out of the park so they can keep it to themselves. Pass on the survey link to everyone you know in Anderson Twp or even in the area. There's no way they'll know where you live. If you want to have a great course on the east side this may be the only way to be heard. If you can't get the below link to work - go to AndersonPark's website and the survey link is on the home page.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FutureParkResidentSurvey
sisyphus
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:00:38 PM

Thanks Pete. As someone whose family moved to Anderson Township in 1976 (I now live in Eastgate), I wanted to give them some added input, comments, and 'volunteer' to help. Please keep us updated. I will help somehow if/when this does get moving forward! --Jeff A.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:04:46 PM

it doesn't look good so far I was just reading the article on the park site and not only do they not mention disc golf they made a point to say the residents want the Johnson hills park kept as a natural area dang yuppies hating on some hippies lol JK it would be a real shame  if they don't get this course going it is almost perfect land for a medium difficulty course
pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:56:59 PM

Their master plan on the website for Johnson Hills still shows disc golf.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FutureParkResidentSurvey

The site also says the survey will be up until the Anderson Days Festival at the end of July.
pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:24:05 PM

Have you filled out the survey and written in the open question about what you'd like to see in Anderson? Disc golf in Johnson Hills Park. Ask why it can't go in now? Tell them what a great deal it is for them and how much better land JHP is than Woodland Mound. They ask you for either your street or what elementary school neighborhood you live in. They can't tell where you really live..... Please - this may be our only chance to get this course in. If you know anyone who lives in Anderson ask them to request DG at JHP.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:12:52 AM

Ayer elementary is about a mile from woodland if ya needa name of a school to input and I believe there is another called Sherwood elementary over near JHP
sisyphus
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:48:48 AM

The closest school to that park is Wilson. My best friend from HS lived just up the hill from both. Aaah, memories!
...anyway, I've replied to the survey.
Make sure we all do...especially those who know that Woodland Mound is so crowded, that part of town needs all the courses it can get!!
wamslebm
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 10:06:14 AM

What's the latest word on this course? I bugged the Park Manager and Township Planners about it in the past but I haven't lately. This land would be nice for DG as long as they don't make it too open. I don't mind a parcour trail weaving through, barely anybody uses those. I more worried about the paved trails being shown everyone on the plans. http://www.andersonparks.com/uploads/GATrailLocations.pdf
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:09:20 PM

Our club representative, Pete Caldwell, has been involved with them since this started. He has several connections in the park department and is handling our side of things. All I can say is keep our hopes up, but this could take longer than we think.