Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Gatlinburg Options
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:50:26 PM

So due to my wife being my wife "we" decided to go to Gatlinburg instead. I've played some courses in TN but none near Gatlinburg. I may only get to play 1 round. Anyone recomend the best 1 course to play near Gatlinburg? 
perica
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:55:44 PM

The only one down there that I've played was in Asheville -- Richmond Hill was the name. It was totally awesome though, think harder Banklick. DGcoursereview shows some other stuff in the area that looks appealing though.
sisyphus
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:40:37 AM

I've played Mills Park IN Gatlinberg: it's right up against the National Park, but only nine fairly short holes. Very hilly, of course, and in the woods, so at least some interesting lines. No 'D' for you... Not sure what else might be in the Pigeon Forge/ Sevierville area. Played Tommy Schumpert on the way north out of Knoxville. I think you'd find that even more interesting. Watch out for the marsh (left) if you bomb hole nine from that 'top of the world' shot. Those are the two I've played close to Gatlinberg...
Enzy
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:56:04 AM

What do you mean by "near"? Mills Park is really the only course I would consider near. All other courses are more than 45 minutes away. Mills Park is a nice little course to get a quick 9 hole round in and has a few interesting shots.

I just played Tommy Schumpert in late July and was a good time but it is in Knoxville. Victor Ashe is another nice course in Knoxville but if you have the chance to driver a little there are a couple courses up near Cherokee Lake that they had the State Tournaments at. Cherokee Park DGC; Morristown, TN and Kiwanis DGC Morristown, TN. Cherokee Lake is north of I-40/Gatlinburg.  Haven't got to play them but with the State Tournaments being there and the ratings on http://www.dgcoursereview.com/ they look fun
alex.e
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:23:21 PM

I was just down there and I played the Mills Park course. I was actually really surprised by the course and how much I liked it. Just a fun little course to play but to me seemed more like 9 of 18 rather than a rinky dink 9 hole, if that makes sense. I played Victor Ashe and Morningside in Knoxville on the way down and really liked Morningside as well. It's not overly challenging and plays through and urban park, forcing you to cross roads at times (not with throws just between holes) and did have some awesome holes, plus I've never played a course that had such an urban feel to it but still was in a nice park. Victor Ashe was just OK in my opinion, think Harbin(of which I'm not a fan) but a few holes that are little more wooded but same overall wide open and random tree groupings and wind.
alex.e
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:25:00 PM

Also if you play Mills Park definitely bring bug spray, those gnats are some of the worst I've experienced, swarms with multiples going kamikaze in the eyes, nose and mouth.
Enzy
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:56:10 AM

While I liked Morningsides layout I will not be taking by girlfriend back there; just way to much glass on the ground. Got to think of safety when you have families and kids around
alex.e
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:07:26 PM

Enzy, that's a good point, i forgot about all the glass...guess I'm too used to being a young bachelor with boots lol.